ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:18 am

syzygywell wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:11 am
"We're now creating the revision 2 Audio engine board. and we've made some hefty changes to this one.
Here's what we're working on for the next version of the board.
- Stereo Line in w/ integrated phono pre-amp (switchable between original analogue input antialiasing filters, or 'direct')
- Stereo Mix out
- Adjacent channels can be 'linked' to play back stereo files."

Stereo was added over a year ago with the redesign of the engine.
yep, I know, at the cost of using 2 channels...I already wrote this in my post

anselmi wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:42 pm
in early communication Isla said that you can link 2 channel to work in stereo, but since there is just 8 tracks, I can´t accept this as a real solution

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:22 am

Ah got it. yeah this has an 8 track limitation.. that can be gotten around with some creativity but isn't going to give you what you want.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

zombylover
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by zombylover » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:02 am

syzygywell wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:11 am
We're now creating the revision 2 Audio engine board. and we've made some hefty changes to this one.
Here's what we're working on for the next version of the board.
- Stereo Line in w/ integrated phono pre-amp (switchable between original analogue input antialiasing filters, or 'direct')
- Stereo Mix out
- Adjacent channels can be 'linked' to play back stereo files.
Stereo was added over a year ago with the redesign of the engine.

@Zombylover Brad has asked that we not share our order numbers on public forums. The first 75 units only covered the first day and a half of orders though. I know of a few people who ordered on the 18th of June and they were not in that very first shipment
Ok fair enough, thanks for the info...looks like mines gonna be a while let, ordered mine in mid September so I’ll probably be the 3rd batch maybe

User avatar
nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1925
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by nangu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:33 am

If we hire Keanu Reeves to assassinate all of the people who ordered earliest, does that mean the rest of us will get our SP-2400s faster?

Asking for a friend.. :lol:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:46 am

nangu wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:33 am
If we hire Keanu Reeves to assassinate all of the people who ordered earliest, does that mean the rest of us will get our SP-2400s faster?
I don't think doing that will prevent the s-2400s from reaching their original destination, but then you can go and buy them from the heirs at a garage sale for a tenth of their value :hihi:

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:36 pm

syzygywell wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:11 am
We're now creating the revision 2 Audio engine board. and we've made some hefty changes to this one.
Here's what we're working on for the next version of the board.
- Stereo Line in w/ integrated phono pre-amp (switchable between original analogue input antialiasing filters, or 'direct')
- Stereo Mix out
- Adjacent channels can be 'linked' to play back stereo files.
Stereo was added over a year ago with the redesign of the engine.

@Zombylover Brad has asked that we not share our order numbers on public forums. The first 75 units only covered the first day and a half of orders though. I know of a few people who ordered on the 18th of June and they were not in that very first shipment
I ordered in June and haven't gotten any notice of shipping either BTW. Patiently waiting - so hard not to email them to ask but I will be a good boy :hyper:

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by Illwiggle » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Stereo is nice, but a bit overrated in my opinion. Especially since working with an SP1200, whose output sums to mono, I’ve come to really appreciate working with monophonic outputs. I find them to be a bit more flexible to work with, esp when multitracking

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:20 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:02 pm
Stereo is nice, but a bit overrated in my opinion. Especially since working with an SP1200, whose output sums to mono, I’ve come to really appreciate working with monophonic outputs. I find them to be a bit more flexible to work with, esp when multitracking
yeah, opinions, you know what they say about them...

manufacturers should give us the option...then you can choose to work in your glorious mono and be happy...same to me in stereo

User avatar
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 598
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:34 am

anselmi wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:17 am
SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:06 pm

but...in the words of Zappa:
"It doesn't, 'n you can't!
I won't, 'n it don't!
It hasn't, it isn't, it even ain't
:lol:
do you feel lucky?
well...do you, punk?

índice.jpg
thelaw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:24 am

shipped :sb:

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2961
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 am

Got mine today and made my first beat with it-

zombylover
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by zombylover » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:23 am

tigerhill wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:24 am
shipped :sb:
Nice one

Some Hope for me yet then hahah

I be in the second batch by the looks of it

zombylover
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by zombylover » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:26 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 am
Got mine today and made my first beat with it-
Cool mate

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 am
Got mine today and made my first beat with it-
This sounds great! What genre do you usually produce? I am curious what % of people who are getting these produce more house music vs hip hop.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:48 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm

What genre do you usually produce? I am curious what % of people who are getting these produce more house music vs hip hop.
I´d get one to make house for sure

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2961
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:28 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm
brandonlogic wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:48 am
Got mine today and made my first beat with it-
This sounds great! What genre do you usually produce? I am curious what % of people who are getting these produce more house music vs hip hop.
I’ll be doing mosty hip hop, downtempo stuff with it.
Actually kind of intrigued by the idea of doing some ambient stuff with it too!

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Aliasing effect would probably sound really cool through some crazy long reverbs for ambient.

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2961
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by brandonlogic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:32 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm
Aliasing effect would probably sound really cool through some crazy long reverbs for ambient.
I’m going to run it trough my quadraverb. That might be a really neat combo.

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:34 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:24 am
shipped :sb:
Congrats! :goo: :party: :sb:
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

User avatar
LameAim
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Age of Anchors

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by LameAim » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:17 pm

welp



hands sweating in anticipation now

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Yeah this really shows some of the possibilities. I'm very much looking forward to the sequencing video as well.

Also a working manual is now available for download. Obviously it isn't in a fully finished state.

https://forum.islainstruments.com/t/s24 ... gress/2040
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 pm

How are you guys going to integrate it into your setup with regards to individual inputs. Right now I have my audio interface with 8 inputs full used up.

Are you guys going to use solos on the machine to multitrack or set it up with a mixer? I think it would be fun to record jams straight out of the box to capture mutes solos etc but I cant figure out a reasonable setup to make it happen :).

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 pm
How are you guys going to integrate it into your setup with regards to individual inputs. Right now I have my audio interface with 8 inputs full used up.

Are you guys going to use solos on the machine to multitrack or set it up with a mixer? I think it would be fun to record jams straight out of the box to capture mutes solos etc but I cant figure out a reasonable setup to make it happen :).
what about this?
1010music_bluebox_01-scaled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:08 pm

anselmi wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 pm
tigerhill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 pm
How are you guys going to integrate it into your setup with regards to individual inputs. Right now I have my audio interface with 8 inputs full used up.

Are you guys going to use solos on the machine to multitrack or set it up with a mixer? I think it would be fun to record jams straight out of the box to capture mutes solos etc but I cant figure out a reasonable setup to make it happen :).
what about this?
1010music_bluebox_01-scaled.jpg
I thought this was going to be a great product but the lack of audio over USB doesnt make it that useful of an addition to me... An extra step of getting it on to SD and then drag and drop into DAW sort of kills it.

I thought about just getting ADAT interface with a bunch of extra inputs but feels silly since as is I rarely multitrack more than one synth at a time in my current setup. Just love having it all plugged in at once :).

Maybe it is finally time to buy a big ol mixer and run things through there then sum into my interface.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:58 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:08 pm
anselmi wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 pm
tigerhill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 pm
How are you guys going to integrate it into your setup with regards to individual inputs. Right now I have my audio interface with 8 inputs full used up.

Are you guys going to use solos on the machine to multitrack or set it up with a mixer? I think it would be fun to record jams straight out of the box to capture mutes solos etc but I cant figure out a reasonable setup to make it happen :).
what about this?
1010music_bluebox_01-scaled.jpg
I thought this was going to be a great product but the lack of audio over USB doesnt make it that useful of an addition to me... An extra step of getting it on to SD and then drag and drop into DAW sort of kills it.

I thought about just getting ADAT interface with a bunch of extra inputs but feels silly since as is I rarely multitrack more than one synth at a time in my current setup. Just love having it all plugged in at once :).

Maybe it is finally time to buy a big ol mixer and run things through there then sum into my interface.
why it would need audio over USB? the device is a multi-track recorder itself, not an audio interface :despair:

just plug the 8 outs of the S2400 and you are set

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”