ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Post Reply
tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:07 pm

I like to record into ableton keeps things moving - dawfull :sstorm:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:25 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:07 pm
I like to record into ableton keeps things moving - dawfull :sstorm:
I don´t blame you...if you like it I think a DAW is the best way to go

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:28 am

I was actually thinking about using the inputs to live monitor a synth or two through the main outs that way I could sample them directly when I want and also don't need extra inputs. Could even sound good using the analog filters on the machine.

Will report back :tu:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:08 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:28 am
could even sound good using the analog filters on the machine.
AFAIK the S2400´s stock filters are digital

analog boards with 8 analog filters in different flavors are planed but as an optional add on

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:34 pm

The input has a fixed analog filter on it that do something to the sound which was part of the original sp. the outputs also have the same and can be engaged or not. It is not sweepable - the per channel filters that are sweepable are digital you are right and he is gonna make daughter cards with sweepable analog filters you can add. Not sure what the fixed filters do to the sound but they are SSI Chips and might sound cool?

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4439
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by anselmi » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:11 am

tigerhill wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:34 pm
The input has a fixed analog filter on it that do something to the sound which was part of the original sp. the outputs also have the same and can be engaged or not. It is not sweepable - the per channel filters that are sweepable are digital you are right and he is gonna make daughter cards with sweepable analog filters you can add. Not sure what the fixed filters do to the sound but they are SSI Chips and might sound cool?
the original have some non-sweepable analog filters at the outputs, and they are set in different ways for different channels, so you have different results if you place your samples in one channel or another...I don´t think the S2400 have this, or maybe they are part of the vintage emulation

I think the only reason for a sampler to have filters at the input is to get rid of audio over the Nyquist frequency to avoid aliasing, but maybe the S2400 implemented it to get the sound closer to the original when sampling

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:12 am

tigerhill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:49 pm
How are you guys going to integrate it into your setup with regards to individual inputs. Right now I have my audio interface with 8 inputs full used up.

Are you guys going to use solos on the machine to multitrack or set it up with a mixer? I think it would be fun to record jams straight out of the box to capture mutes solos etc but I cant figure out a reasonable setup to make it happen :).

...I thought this was going to be a great product but the lack of audio over USB doesnt make it that useful of an addition to me... An extra step of getting it on to SD and then drag and drop into DAW sort of kills it.
I have mine sitting on my desk and all 8 outs going into a patchbay that is shared with a bunch of synths on the other side. So like you I don't track everything all at once. The audio interface I have in my desk has 12 ins and outs and I have it wired up to the patchbay which effectively extends it to 24 ins which share a channel within Ableton. My template has channel 55-62 dedicated to the s2400 but those channels are also shared with all my desk rack mounted synths (MKS50, JD990, JV1080 etc). I just won't use them at the same time.

The redesign on the audio board allows for 8 channels of audio via USB straight into the DAW but doing it that way will not include the analog input or output filters or the output mixer, it will be strictly “in the CPU” digital signals in and out.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

david_r
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by david_r » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Got mine Friday but didn't get to spend much time with it till last night. I've never used a SP-1200 or even an MPC before, closest thing would be a Digitakt which I don't use much. I see myself using the S2400 a lot more. Loaded an included kit and sampled a eurorack patch into it and came up with this fairly quickly. Really fun!!The 'Help' button is... well.. helpful :)

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1212
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by lud » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm

The price! Was $949 preorder right? Now $1499!

david_r
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by david_r » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:30 pm

lud wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm
The price! Was $949 preorder right? Now $1499!
I pre-ordered June 2019 for $909.. there was a $50 discount thrown out in a live stream so used that, otherwise yea it was $949 without that discount.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm
Location: Houston

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by everydaycurry » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:39 pm

re: how it will be used -

My 'real' music computer has an Apollo Twin X that only has two inputs so until I have more space to get some kind of ADAT preamp setup, I think I'm going to get a Tascam Model 12 or 16 when my S2400 arrives and do an all-hardware setup with the S2400 - delay and reverb on the aux sends, S2400 outs and rotate a couple of desktop synths on the other channels.

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1212
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by lud » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:08 pm

david_r wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:30 pm
lud wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm
The price! Was $949 preorder right? Now $1499!
I pre-ordered June 2019 for $909.. there was a $50 discount thrown out in a live stream so used that, otherwise yea it was $949 without that discount.
That's a $40 discount :hihi:
Nearly went for it on preorder - 0% chance for 1499 though!

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:45 pm

david_r wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Got mine Friday but didn't get to spend much time with it till last night. I've never used a SP-1200 or even an MPC before, closest thing would be a Digitakt which I don't use much. I see myself using the S2400 a lot more. Loaded an included kit and sampled a eurorack patch into it and came up with this fairly quickly. Really fun!!The 'Help' button is... well.. helpful :)
I myself never have owned a real sampler either. I have a model samples which I use a decent amount as a beat sketch pad. I was debating initially octatrack vs digitakt (love electron and my digitone) but when the S2400 was posted it just felt right. Especially when Brad used the “intro” sample by Fred flake as a demo I was sold.

All that rambling - why do you think you will use it more?

david_r
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by david_r » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:51 pm

lud wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:08 pm
david_r wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:30 pm
lud wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm
The price! Was $949 preorder right? Now $1499!
I pre-ordered June 2019 for $909.. there was a $50 discount thrown out in a live stream so used that, otherwise yea it was $949 without that discount.
That's a $40 discount :hihi:
Nearly went for it on preorder - 0% chance for 1499 though!
Forgot to mention the $10 shipping.
tigerhill wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:45 pm
I myself never have owned a real sampler either. I have a model samples which I use a decent amount as a beat sketch pad. I was debating initially octatrack vs digitakt (love electron and my digitone) but when the S2400 was posted it just felt right. Especially when Brad used the “intro” sample by Fred flake as a demo I was sold.

All that rambling - why do you think you will use it more?
I love sliders on gear / modules. Really like how parameters like pitch are adjusted via sliders, makes much more sense to me. The workflow looks great compared to my Digitakt. Multi Mode is amazing to me (i'm new to these type of samplers) and super fun!!!!

User avatar
corbobilly
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 am
Location: Franche-Comté

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by corbobilly » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:45 am

Do you think there are still copies to order?

zombylover
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by zombylover » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 am

corbobilly wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:45 am
Do you think there are still copies to order?
Pre orders the only, so if you order one, you will have to wait

User avatar
nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1925
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by nangu » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:13 am

Keanu Reeves has not been deployed. Sometimes I think I’m super funny when I’m really just properly drunk.

Orders will go out in order. With mine near the end. If you buy one now, I guess I won’t be at the end any more. Yay?

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by Illwiggle » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Brad said yesterday or so that they’re still getting thru the orders placed in the first few days, 300 or so... I also ordered mine at The end of Sept, so I imagine I’ll have to wait at least til the end of February, if it comes sooner then 🎉 🥳 🙌, But I wouldnt count on it

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Illwiggle wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm
Brad said yesterday or so that they’re still getting thru the orders placed in the first few days, 300 or so... I also ordered mine at The end of Sept, so I imagine I’ll have to wait at least til the end of February, if it comes sooner then 🎉 🥳 🙌, But I wouldnt count on it
Yeah I ordered a second unit shortly before the price went up. I don't expect it until late Feb early March. Sadly I had to send my unit back today for a voltage adjustment that impacted the first 100 units that went out. I probably won't see it for another 3 weeks. I have a S2400 hole in my heart and on my desk now.

In spite of the issues I was having this really has a great workflow.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:49 am

syzygywell wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 pm
Illwiggle wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm
Brad said yesterday or so that they’re still getting thru the orders placed in the first few days, 300 or so... I also ordered mine at The end of Sept, so I imagine I’ll have to wait at least til the end of February, if it comes sooner then 🎉 🥳 🙌, But I wouldnt count on it
Yeah I ordered a second unit shortly before the price went up. I don't expect it until late Feb early March. Sadly I had to send my unit back today for a voltage adjustment that impacted the first 100 units that went out. I probably won't see it for another 3 weeks. I have a S2400 hole in my heart and on my desk now.

In spite of the issues I was having this really has a great workflow.
How did the issue manifest? I have unit 120 ... I haven't had a ton of time to use it yet so would be nice to know what to look out for.

david_r
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by david_r » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:51 pm

The issue is with it crashing and resetting. It's explained here:


I've only experienced it once while powering it with a power bank.

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Yea I saw that post. Looking forward to giving it some heavy use in the coming weeks and see if it pops up for me - my unit is in the range he said is mostly affected.

david_r
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:23 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by david_r » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:18 pm

I have a low serial # and experienced the crash last night for the 2nd time. Both times I was powering it with a Omni 20+ power bank. Haven't experienced it when powering it directly. I might just do the fix myself, it looks easy. It's been a while but I've worked with SMD before.. save your project often!!

User avatar
syzygywell
aligned wiggler
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Sasquatch territory

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by syzygywell » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:36 pm

As some have noted I had the audio board sync fail message 3 times or so. Others have a Comm fail message. So if you can do surface mount soldering and want to put a dollop on there yourself you can. I didn't have anything but a lousy old radio shack soldering iron and didn't want to chance it so mine went back for the repair.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

tigerhill
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am

Re: ISLA Instruments SP-2400

Post by tigerhill » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:50 pm

syzygywell wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:36 pm
As some have noted I had the audio board sync fail message 3 times or so. Others have a Comm fail message. So if you can do surface mount soldering and want to put a dollop on there yourself you can. I didn't have anything but a lousy old radio shack soldering iron and didn't want to chance it so mine went back for the repair.
I am in the range but haven’t had it yet - I don’t want to run into problems down the road so thinking about sending it in.

What could I do to bring out the issue if my unit is affected?

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”