analogue solutions impulse command

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

James_Fredrickson
Learning to Wiggle

Re: analogue solutions impulse command

Post by James_Fredrickson » Sat May 16, 2020 11:40 am

pmboos wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:44 pm
James_Fredrickson wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:44 pm
pmboos wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 am
Nicely done!
Thank you. I'd love to hear that RA-99 teamed up with the IC.
Ok, here’s a short happy accident between the two... also includes the Dreadbox Hypnosis. Changed to a Soundcloud link...

Need to find the best way of recording audio from my Go:Mixer pro. Roland provides a video app which is what I used. I downloaded bandlab, but didn't see anyway of recording an audio file. Anyone have recommendations for an iPhone app? (I mostly play live, so I am not really interested in getting into DAW software.)
Cool drone in the background. Audacity is free and has many options for recording audio from your computer, but I'm not sure if it can capture audio from outboard gear and it's not an app for iPhone.

RollyGrangeHill
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RollyGrangeHill » Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Some nice live IC

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sat May 16, 2020 3:18 pm

RollyGrangeHill wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Some nice live IC
That is beautiful... Reminds me of some of the slower melodic Yazoo stuff from You and Me Both, but with the sounds more akin to Upstairs at Eric's

Are the Generators doing anything?

Anyway, super jealous - 2 ICs! 2 Generators! A Polymath and is that a Mr Hyde?
Last edited by pmboos on Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sat May 16, 2020 3:23 pm

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:40 am

...snip...

Cool drone in the background. Audacity is free and has many options for recording audio from your computer, but I'm not sure if it can capture audio from outboard gear and it's not an app for iPhone.
Thanks! The IC tone was a happy accident... I was playing around with patching different things on the IC and I really liked what I got when I put the square wave into the pitch. It made it pseudo controlled and also pseudo random. The RA-99 I sort of decided I wanted something deep and throaty. Adding the suboscillator gave it an edge. I knew I wanted some reverb and I like the warmth of the Hypnosis' spring reverb. I just then started playing with the Delay and Chorus-Flanger until I found something I liked...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

RollyGrangeHill
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RollyGrangeHill » Mon May 18, 2020 2:10 am

pmboos wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:18 pm
RollyGrangeHill wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

Some nice live IC
That is beautiful... Reminds me of some of the slower melodic Yazoo stuff from You and Me Both, but with the sounds more akin to Upstairs at Eric's

Are the Generators doing anything?

Anyway, super jealous - 2 ICs! 2 Generators! A Polymath and is that a Mr Hyde?
The ICs are providing the Gate Signal for both sequences and Filter modulation. Both synths are Transposed from a Keystep I was playing just off picture to the left. The ICs modulation give it that Yazoo Sound :)

melodydad
Muffuselah

Post by melodydad » Mon May 18, 2020 1:53 pm

After my post months ago saying wonderful things about Impulse Command I totally forgot to post this:

. . . we better let him in . . . . . he's got a Theremin . . . (HMHB: 'Look Dad No Tunes')

James_Fredrickson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by James_Fredrickson » Tue May 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Here I'm running the IC from a syncopated rhythm generated from a Zularic Repetitor. Not running the IC in straight 16th notes gives the instrument much more breathing room in a mix.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Wed May 20, 2020 11:36 am

James_Fredrickson wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Here I'm running the IC from a syncopated rhythm generated from a Zularic Repetitor. Not running the IC in straight 16th notes gives the instrument much more breathing room in a mix.
Very cool - I actually made a remark in a Subharminicon thread that because it and the IC don't seem to have rests, you have an interesting constraint in entering rhythm with their internal sequencers.

The ICs is controlled by some of the filter dynamics and quite a bit by the 'Patch' parameters as well. It poses an interesting constraint and has forced a bit of creativity out that I would have just gone to entering/playing a more directly syncopated rhythm.
---

James_Fredrickson
Learning to Wiggle

Post by James_Fredrickson » Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm

[/quote]

Very cool - I actually made a remark in a Subharminicon thread that because it and the IC don't seem to have rests, you have an interesting constraint in entering rhythm with their internal sequencers.

The ICs is controlled by some of the filter dynamics and quite a bit by the 'Patch' parameters as well. It poses an interesting constraint and has forced a bit of creativity out that I would have just gone to entering/playing a more directly syncopated rhythm.
[/quote]

Definitely. I actually realized after posting this that the sequencer is in fact running straights 16th notes, however I'm only letting through notes based on a rhythm from the ZR triggering an envelope to let the IC through a VCA. This way I can manually let through some extra notes or play them staccato and generally have more control over the expressiveness of the synth.

Return to “General Gear”