Teenage Engineering Op-Z Oplab module

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

boombipbass
Common Wiggler

Teenage Engineering Op-Z Oplab module

Post by boombipbass » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Anyone who has experience with this? I bought one for the CV/Gate functionality (can't wait to find out what this is all about!)

They seem to use different cables(with sleeve and tip)
to send different voltages.

In total it has 4 functions:

CV + CV 2
Gate + CV 3
Trig in (or MIDI in)
Trig out (or MIDI out or PocketOperator sync out)

Anyone who has had excperience with these babies?

boombipbass
Common Wiggler

A link to the manual

Post by boombipbass » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:03 pm

boombipbass
Common Wiggler

Post by boombipbass » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:04 pm

I cannot seem to get it to work properly though and get the error quite often that when I connect it it drops out eventually in a session and then I have to reboot the bitch :(

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Over here it works flawless for three weeks already. It takes some time to understand because of the incomplete manual :).

boombipbass
Common Wiggler

Post by boombipbass » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Fallen_lassen wrote:Over here it works flawless for three weeks already. It takes some time to understand because of the incomprlete manual :).
Thats great could you help me maybe :)

boombipbass
Common Wiggler

Post by boombipbass » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Since i dont know a damn thing the manual is indeed very incomplete

boombipbass
Common Wiggler

Post by boombipbass » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Aalso a tip to use midi and cv together would be nice since it seems that midi ans cv clash in the app so ive heard

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:19 am

Use it and learn is the only thing i got for you. It is easy to use but hard to explain 8-) . I use midi cv 1 2 and 3 and trigger lus usb midi all at once.

doublestewart
Common Wiggler

Post by doublestewart » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 pm

The oplab is available from the TE site again, does anyone know if/when it will be available from any of their American stockists?

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:02 pm

i've got an op-z here with the lab module, trying to get it to sync to external midi clock.
it works fine over usb, but i'd like to get rid of the usb humming at low levels in the recording (even with power charging turned off-- helps, but doesn't totally kill it).
problem is, when i send a clock to the midi input, nothing happens. i've got the right cable, clock in enabled, and midi is turned on on the module itself.
any other tips for getting the thing to successfully clock from the op lab midi input?

amazing machine btw, utterly slays the op-1 imo for couch glue and general awesomeness.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler

Post by Orgia Mode » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:31 pm

TIL Teenage Engineering makes more than the Pocket Operator. :P

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am

dogoftears wrote:i've got an op-z here with the lab module, trying to get it to sync to external midi clock.
it works fine over usb, but i'd like to get rid of the usb humming at low levels in the recording (even with power charging turned off-- helps, but doesn't totally kill it).
problem is, when i send a clock to the midi input, nothing happens. i've got the right cable, clock in enabled, and midi is turned on on the module itself.
any other tips for getting the thing to successfully clock from the op lab midi input?

amazing machine btw, utterly slays the op-1 imo for couch glue and general awesomeness.
Do you use the midi in or the clock in on the oplab? When using clock in you have got to prepare the opz for clock you can tead how in the oplab manual.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:47 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Do you use the midi in or the clock in on the oplab? When using clock in you have got to prepare the opz for clock you can tead how in the oplab manual.
I've read both manuals thoroughly. I'm not sure what you mean by "midi in or clock in"... there's only one input, and it can be switched between receiving midi or receiving trigger pulses with a physical switch on the module. I have it set to receive midi, as I mentioned in my original post. Midi clock in is activated on the "Screen" page as well. I just get nothing when I send midi clock into that input. Simply nothing happens. Is there some special way to activate that input??

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:34 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Fallen_lassen wrote:
I've read both manuals thoroughly. I'm not sure what you mean by "midi in or clock in"... there's only one input, and it can be switched between receiving midi or receiving trigger pulses with a physical switch on the module. I have it set to receive midi, as I mentioned in my original post. Midi clock in is activated on the "Screen" page as well. I just get nothing when I send midi clock into that input. Simply nothing happens. Is there some special way to activate that input??
I meant trig in when i wrote clock in.
If you use trig in you have to arm the track for trig.
Never used the midi in for clock. Only for note input.
Do you use the midi adapter that came with it? In the manual is written:
Note that some equipment uses a non standard reverse pin out and will not work directly with zm-1. I guess that’s your problem?

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Fallen_lassen wrote: I meant trig in when i wrote clock in.
If you use trig in you have to arm the track for trig.
Never used the midi in for clock. Only for note input.
Do you use the midi adapter that came with it? In the manual is written:
Note that some equipment uses a non standard reverse pin out and will not work directly with zm-1. I guess that’s your problem?
no, i'm going for midi clock. although when i tested it with notes it also didn't seem to do anything.

the manual refers to the two kinds of 8th inch midi standards out there. i am near positive i'm using the correct cable-- the so called "standard" one that also works with faderfox boxes and my five12 vector.

unfortunately i bought it used and the seller did not include the cable it came with-- but again i'm pretty sure i'm using the right kind (and i even tried 2 different ones).

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:04 pm

With the included midi adapter i was able to play the op-z with my D50 keyboard. So it might be the midi adapter?

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Re: Teenage Engineering Op-Z Oplab module

Post by synth.void » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:36 pm

So, how does it go for you with the oplab so far? It makes no sense to me that they haven't implemented the step components on the module track, that was the reason for me to buy it in the first place.

TE support hinted that they're working on the feature, but it could just as well mean that it's going to be implemented next year. Since I started with CV-able gear, the Z doesn't get much love because the workflow is so different without the step components.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 pm

synth.void wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:36 pm
So, how does it go for you with the oplab so far? It makes no sense to me that they haven't implemented the step components on the module track, that was the reason for me to buy it in the first place.

TE support hinted that they're working on the feature, but it could just as well mean that it's going to be implemented next year. Since I started with CV-able gear, the Z doesn't get much love because the workflow is so different without the step components.
Stll working great. You can change any channel to the module channel , and use the step components via cv gate and midi out.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 pm
Stll working great. You can change any channel to the module channel , and use the step components via cv gate and midi out.
Is it done via midi settings? Could you elaborate a bit, i.e. which track do you usually repurpose for CV, do you mute it, etc?

I remember using the bass track midi to have step components, but that was a mess. I would need to mute the track's output, then turn off FX, because the track leaks FX even being muted.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:24 am

synth.void wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:57 pm
Is it done via midi settings? Could you elaborate a bit, i.e. which track do you usually repurpose for CV, do you mute it, etc?

I remember using the bass track midi to have step components, but that was a mess. I would need to mute the track's output, then turn off FX, because the track leaks FX even being muted.
Yes. In the json file. Change any channel into 14. For instance the arp channel. But i checked the manual and i see you can do it in the midi setup too. So you can do it in the app, in the app you can also find the manual!
Yes mute the chosen channel and also the effect send.
You can do it! It is not difficult.
Last edited by Fallen_lassen on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:33 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:24 am
You can do it! It is not difficult.
I will, thank you! Now I realised you've responded to my op-z + modular topic on op-forums a couple days ago :tu:

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 am

:tu: there’s not a lot of OP-Z lovers nowadays :hihi: Good luck!

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 am

Fallen_lassen wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 am
No - they’ve all fallen apart by now... :-)

(love the concept but the quality of the op-z and oplab is dreadful and their technical support is non-existent)

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am

forestcaver wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:

(love the concept but the quality of the op-z and oplab is dreadful and their technical support is non-existent)
have you used an op-z? i don't know about TE's tech support (never had to use it) but the Z is built fine. it ain't no tank but i take it all over the place and have never had a problem. the op-1, despite being heavier and having i think a metal case, was much more fragile.

i also have a pocket operator drum machine that despite years of button mashing and sitting exposed to dust etc works perfectly.

i will say that i find the op lab module obtuse to use. i still have not successfully gotten it to sync to midi (works fine over USB, just can't seem to get it to work from the jack midi input on the lab). but i don't think anything is gonna break.

forestcaver
Ultra Wiggler

Post by forestcaver » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:14 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am
forestcaver wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:

have you used an op-z? i don't know about TE's tech support (never had to use it) but the Z is built fine. it ain't no tank but i take it all over the place and have never had a problem. the op-1, despite being heavier and having i think a metal case, was much more fragile.

i also have a pocket operator drum machine that despite years of button mashing and sitting exposed to dust etc works perfectly.

i will say that i find the op lab module obtuse to use. i still have not successfully gotten it to sync to midi (works fine over USB, just can't seem to get it to work from the jack midi input on the lab). but i don't think anything is gonna break.
Yes, of course I have an OP-Z and an Oplab (otherwise I wouldnt have commented). The OP-Z is really not "built fine" - look at the issues with bending, encoders popping out and double triggers. Also, look at how poorly the first oplab fitted - it was just ridiculous - wouldnt stay in place and when it did it crashed - hence the latest hardware changes and firmware updates to the oplab module (I have had two oplab modules, including returns so have seen the rubbish first generation attempt at latching/staying in position). I have contacted TE twice for support - each time they said they were passing it onto “technical support” and then I never heard from them again. Each time I sent stuff back to where I bought it from. Also, look how long it has taken them to fix critical issues (even in firmware). Hopeless technical support. Great concept, dreadful execution.
Even given how cool their ideas are (and ,despite its flaws and flakiness I really do like it), I’d never touch anything from them again....

Return to “General Gear”