Teenage Engineering Op-Z Oplab module

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Re: Teenage Engineering Op-Z Oplab module

Post by PLNB » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:11 pm

dogoftears wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:07 am
forestcaver wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 am
Fallen_lassen wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 am
:tu: there’s not a lot of OP-Z lovers nowadays :hihi: Good luck!
No - they’ve all fallen apart by now... :-)

(love the concept but the quality of the op-z and oplab is dreadful and their technical support is non-existent)
have you used an op-z? i don't know about TE's tech support (never had to use it) but the Z is built fine. it ain't no tank but i take it all over the place and have never had a problem. the op-1, despite being heavier and having i think a metal case, was much more fragile.

i also have a pocket operator drum machine that despite years of button mashing and sitting exposed to dust etc works perfectly.

i will say that i find the op lab module obtuse to use. i still have not successfully gotten it to sync to midi (works fine over USB, just can't seem to get it to work from the jack midi input on the lab). but i don't think anything is gonna break.
Midi sync using OP-Lab with other devices really benefits from the app. Quickly pick each channel as you select tracks on the unit. Add 16 CC's per channel (1-8) and (8-16) on the remaining tracks. The white leds on the module help troubleshoot midi in/out.

steviet
Common Wiggler

Post by steviet » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm

I really enjoy my OP-Z with the OPLab, but the build quality isn't great. I had to do somethings I am not proud of to get the module to fit into the back of my OP-Z... It would randomly disconnect requiring reboot, or I'd have to re-seat the module in the back cavity. It would jut out the back of the device too.

Now that it's been modified and I stuffed some paper in some places, it is stuck in there good, and it works beautifully every time I boot it up. Something makes me think taking sandpaper and an exacto knife to the OP-lab will hurt the resale value slightly... or maybe increase it? Because it fits properly now :tu:

I like it a lot, but I don't know if I'll be making any big TE purchases in the future. Too much to pay for things not to work perfectly in my opinion. Pocket operators are dope though :75:

Kja
Common Wiggler

Post by Kja » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 pm

That sucks man... With anything this small, there is a good chance things might not line up right.. that's why they are the only company crazy enough to try something like this...
Having said that, my oplab and my opz/rumble all work perfectly and I think they build quality is excellent. It feels very well made and much nicer then the cheap plastic other companies use for stuff like this. Mine is built solid.. no questions on durability.

Return to “General Gear”