Superlative SB-1 - SH-101 Style Rechargable Synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Kja
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Kja » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 am

nangu wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 am
6 hours to go on this, and I still haven’t decided whether I’m bailing out of my early bird slot.

Kinda disappointed that they promised to post more info on the MIDI implementation soon in their last update, but then didn’t follow through. I just poked them in the comments..
BugBrand wrote:
acidbob wrote:Batteries are :ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana: Dont like them! Especially if they are custom and conforms to no standard.

If anything it should be able to run on those external battery pack phone chargers via. USB. Now that would be something...
I would imagine they are likely some sort of fairly standard (maybe Li-ion - though shipping those is a ball ache) so I don't see the problem - probably long life before replacement needed and then imagine that'd be not impossible.

And looks like it will have usb so perfectly possible to use an external usb pack too surely?
I agree that the battery is unnecessary, but one of the exploded views shows a removable plate on the bottom for battery access- it’s a flat Li-ion that might be a reasonably standard camera or drone thing. So one could presumably remove the battery to avoid putting any day-to-day wear on it, and then reinstall it if needed for camping, busking, etc..
You know that's not how lithium batteries work right? Even if never used they still have about a five year shelf life.

analoglsd
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Superlative SB-1 - SH-101 Style Rechargable Synth

Post by analoglsd » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:10 pm

Licudi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm
Thanks. Be nice to have some more soundclips but getting production together will be their main challenge right now. Though I see from Kickstarter they did manage a dayout at the Vintage Synthesizer Museum in Oakland!

https://vintagesynthmuseum.squarespace. ... me-section
Ben did stop by VSM a couple weeks ago, and I got to play the SB01.
I met Ben about 5 years ago, and he was just starting to throw ideas around about designing a synth, and it's amazing to actually be playing that synth 5 years later.
Check out the Vintage Synthesizer Museum Instagram or Facebook if you want to see some pics and video of the SB01. I just posted them today.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:20 pm

Kja wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:32 am
You know that's not how lithium batteries work right? Even if never used they still have about a five year shelf life.
I am aware that the lifespan in storage isn’t infinite, but 5 years seems overly pessimistic. Storing them halfway-charged in a cool, dry place (not a refrigerator!) will provide the best results. Certainly better than leaving them in a device that gets warm and constantly keeps them fully charged. Maximum degradation happens when they’re kept warm and fully charged at the same time.

naos
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by naos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 am

mush wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:27 pm
I wonder how the feel is of those rubbery/silicon looking keys? Looks horrible to play, but I can't be sure from pictures and poor video...
don't ask me why, but every single time I see those keys, I think of this. it's daring but rather unfortunate design to my eyes...

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by nangu » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:10 pm

I read somewhere that the keys are totally normal, and definitely not soft/rubbery at all. They just look funny on camera because they’re all-black and have a slope at the hinged end. I’m probably remembering the designer’s reply to a similar observation in the Kickstarter comments section.

Maybe he said they were ABS? Definitely some kind of standard rigid plastic..

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Re:

Post by Low Life » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:34 am

nangu wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:10 pm
I read somewhere that the keys are totally normal, and definitely not soft/rubbery at all. They just look funny on camera because they’re all-black and have a slope at the hinged end. I’m probably remembering the designer’s reply to a similar observation in the Kickstarter comments section.

Maybe he said they were ABS? Definitely some kind of standard rigid plastic..
Yeah, that seems to be the case based on comments on the Kickstarter. Though ABS doesn't seem like a great choice for a matte (?) keyboard, as the surface will go unevenly shiny with wear. Like this:

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:32 am

Patina is apparently super sexy now. If you’re right, then actually playing the thing might make it more valuable to future snobs. :hihi:

I kinda doubt they’d do something that would show wear so quickly. They’ve gone way beyond what was needed (or practical) to make it beautiful.

neuroportal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by neuroportal » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:52 am

"Patina is apparently super sexy now."

Too right.

I'm 46 now and I have a great patina!!

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 pm

does anyone want OUT of their pre-order?

let me know via PM and thanks in advance.

Return to “General Gear”