Superlative SB-1 - SH-101 Style Rechargable Synth

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:35 am

about the sexiest looking synth ever but at that price the sound has to be perfect and there are not enough demos to determine that

also, glad they're funded, but to hell with Kickstarter and their union opposition, wish they'd used another vendor
whoosy boxes / zoomy panels

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:42 am

at this price they should add the nova mods functionality or some semi-modular connectios...this would make the synth much more diverse and a bit more competitive with other stuff that are half the price

I can´t believe it´s already funded...happy for them...I think backers likes the look and construction that seems to be over the OG and the B one

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 am

That price is beyond imo... not by eurorack standards because obviously a project like this is 10 times more complex to complete.
But still as a synth it is very expensive.
It looks nice though.

MisterG
Learning to Wiggle

Post by MisterG » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 am

It’s a pretty little thing for sure and cool they got funded.
A bit disappointed by the price, not entirely sure whether I can justify it or not.
Some extra functionality might have sweetened it.

robertloud
Learning to Wiggle

Post by robertloud » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 pm

This one piqued my interest, but one thing I haven’t seen anyone else comment on that’s a huge pet peeve of mine is that it looks like it’s powered by microUSB! In my experience, those are way too fragile to use on a synth that costs ~$1k. The OG sh101 works w a 1-spot which I love. (Also would be nice to not use midi DIN converters, but that one doesn’t bother me as much as USB power)

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:56 pm

^ I know the whole goal was to make it super thin and sleek but I agree. I might have actually gone for it had it been 1.5 times the thickness with standard midi din and a psu barrel plug.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:28 pm

robertloud wrote:it it looks like it’s powered by microUSB! In my experience, those are way too fragile
It's a USB-C as found on the post-2017 MacBookPros.

https://www.dignited.com/21457/differen ... sb-type-c/

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Bit of PR/background to SB01 project at kickstarter:

https://www.core77.com/posts/90969/With ... age-synths

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Deleted
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 am

Day or so before the end of the Kickstarter and still $25K short on the second-stage micro-tonal capability.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 am

6 hours to go on this, and I still haven’t decided whether I’m bailing out of my early bird slot.

Kinda disappointed that they promised to post more info on the MIDI implementation soon in their last update, but then didn’t follow through. I just poked them in the comments..
BugBrand wrote:
acidbob wrote:Batteries are :ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana: Dont like them! Especially if they are custom and conforms to no standard.

If anything it should be able to run on those external battery pack phone chargers via. USB. Now that would be something...
I would imagine they are likely some sort of fairly standard (maybe Li-ion - though shipping those is a ball ache) so I don't see the problem - probably long life before replacement needed and then imagine that'd be not impossible.

And looks like it will have usb so perfectly possible to use an external usb pack too surely?
I agree that the battery is unnecessary, but one of the exploded views shows a removable plate on the bottom for battery access- it’s a flat Li-ion that might be a reasonably standard camera or drone thing. So one could presumably remove the battery to avoid putting any day-to-day wear on it, and then reinstall it if needed for camping, busking, etc..

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

just got a reply:
Hi nangu, thanks for your questions and sorry for the delay in reply.

1. The SB01 utilizes an all-analog signal and control path, so there is currently no provision for midi CC send and receive of parameters.

2. The arp and sequencer respond to MIDI clock as expected.

3. MIDI transport control implementation allows for play/stopping/restarting/etc of sequences over MIDI.

4. We're open to feedback on MIDI implementation and happy to hear suggestions as we work on final development.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:07 pm

MTC and MIDI clock is probably all you could expect given the analogue path. If you want full CC them maybe something like an SE-02, BassStation 2 (or even an SH-01A - it sounds surprisingly good) would be better?

Clearly Superlative isn't going to make any of its stretch goals. Perhaps surprising given how quickly the project was fully-funded.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:18 pm

I had kinda hoped that the fancy joystick would be digital, and provide both MIDI output and assignable voltages - to be injected into the analog path at various user-selected points. Plus maybe a few more injected CVs derived from MIDI CC input.

Hearing ‘no’ is fine. Hearing nothing at all was starting to wind me up.

I’d still like to see a way to retrigger the Seq and Arp without disturbing the clock- maybe a MIDI note that’s too high or low to trigger the synth..

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:21 pm

Agree that this synth's big selling point is as a performance instrument so maximising the stick capabilities is a good idea. Keep at him!

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Adding CC-derived voltages is something under consideration for the bender section so it can be routed to VCF/VCO control. There is currently a "restart" control to re-trigger the sequencer onboard, but adding an out of range MIDI note for some transport duties may work well too.
Sweet!

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Superlative SB-1 - SH-101 Style Rechargable Synth

Post by aethyr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm

If anyone is going to back out of their spot, I would love to get one of these.

Will there be a second run?

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 am

There's a surprising lack of PR from Superlative. Was there any news at NAMM?

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:07 am

Licudi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 am
Their Kickstarter page has some updates:

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks. Be nice to have some more soundclips but getting production together will be their main challenge right now. Though I see from Kickstarter they did manage a dayout at the Vintage Synthesizer Museum in Oakland!

https://vintagesynthmuseum.squarespace. ... me-section

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Licudi wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 am
There were some sightings at NAMM , Superlative didnt have a booth but Ben was there the SB-1. Ben was at dinner with us one night and brought the SB-1. I didn't get to hear it but it looks good and feels very well built.

23.jpg
332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 am

Also wondering, are there any news? Has anyone already got his copy?

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 am

Tajnost wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:04 am
Also wondering, are there any news? Has anyone already got his copy?
The synth is not even fully finished yet, they're planning to ship in the summer. More precisely June according to the Kickstarter.

As for the "lack" of PR. The Kickstarter project is finished (successfully), and the people who backed them are going to receive their synths when it's done. What PR do they need to do before they start selling these to more people? I'd rather they focus on getting the thing done now and worry about PR later.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Low Life wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 am
What PR do they need to do before they start selling these to more people? I'd rather they focus on getting the thing done now and worry about PR later.
Clearly that's the path Superlative is pursuing, but keeping investors informed with regular updates is generally a good idea.

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 pm

Licudi wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm
Low Life wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 am
What PR do they need to do before they start selling these to more people? I'd rather they focus on getting the thing done now and worry about PR later.
Clearly that's the path Superlative is pursuing, but keeping investors informed with regular updates is generally a good idea.
Oh the last update for the Kickstarter backers was just a week ago. I don't really consider those PR because, well, they're aimed at their backers and not the public.

Return to “General Gear”