Gotharman's Tiny LD

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Tiny LD

Post by flx » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 am

Exiannyc wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 am
I sometimes wish I had more buttons and knobs, but I still love the TLD, and I think it's amazing that Gotharman's offers so much power in such a tiny, portable box, at a price point that's so reasonable.
Yes, I‘ve been explaining the LD3 to someone recently on another forum and realized again how crazy deep and flexible it is. Having the same functionality in the Tiny LD as well is amazing! I think the menu navigation and programming works well on the Tiny LD, but I also wish it had more potentiometers for performing. I like to map all the eight knobs on the LD3 to certain parameters and play with them and the morph knobs at the same time. I‘ve already been thinking of opening up my Tiny LD to see if there was space for some more small potentiometers and a little Arduino MIDI controller board :mrgreen: But this might be a bit too much of a hack. Either way, it‘s an incredible travel synth and I‘m really happy that I ordered one.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Actually ... it might not be such a crazy hack after all. I just opened up my Tiny LD mkII and there is indeed quite some space underneath the product label, between the touch screen and the back side connections. I think one could easily install at least four, maybe even six potentiometers there, plus an Arduino Pro Micro, which runs on 9V, acting as a MIDI controller. The Arduino could be directly connected to the MIDI IN port of the Tiny LD internally and one could even add an off switch for the internal connection, in case one wants to use an external MIDI signal :ninja:

Looking into the Tiny LD from the right side:
3172A5B1-7863-474C-AA89-187415E61E4F.jpeg
Possible potentiometer locations:
9523EB2F-EA22-4555-8E9F-34F32B36A31B.png

Edit: The only problem I‘d see is drilling the potentiometer holes into the top panel, with the touch screen still glued in place. Not sure if the vibrations from the drill might damage it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Wow! @flx You are thinking "outside the box" and seeing some amazing possibilities!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 am

Exiannyc wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:48 pm
A performance on the TLD based on a 5 second melody from the Ellitone E[64] generative music device.

Really nice video! Thanks so much for making and sharing!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:15 am

flx wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:47 am
I‘ve been traveling some more recently, which was one of the main reasons for getting a Tiny LD. My regular LD3 mkI is not super big either, but the Tiny is still more compact and backpack-friendly, yet it offers basically the full Little deFormer 3 experience. Here it is on one of several train journeys:
87A3311B-D5ED-4786-BBB0-536713C724DB.jpeg

It’s powered by a Harley Benton PowerPlant 9V/USB Power Bank, so I didn‘t even bring a regular power supply, just my USB mobile phone charger. Very convenient! I‘ve already created several presets, which I plan to record and edit into a TinyLD-only travel music release :party:
Great to see, that you are enjoying your Tiny LD on your travels!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:19 am

flx wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:20 pm
Actually ... it might not be such a crazy hack after all. I just opened up my Tiny LD mkII and there is indeed quite some space underneath the product label, between the touch screen and the back side connections. I think one could easily install at least four, maybe even six potentiometers there, plus an Arduino Pro Micro, which runs on 9V, acting as a MIDI controller. The Arduino could be directly connected to the MIDI IN port of the Tiny LD internally and one could even add an off switch for the internal connection, in case one wants to use an external MIDI signal :ninja:

Looking into the Tiny LD from the right side:
3172A5B1-7863-474C-AA89-187415E61E4F.jpeg

Possible potentiometer locations:
9523EB2F-EA22-4555-8E9F-34F32B36A31B.png

Edit: The only problem I‘d see is drilling the potentiometer holes into the top panel, with the touch screen still glued in place. Not sure if the vibrations from the drill might damage it.
This certainly looks like a serious hack :)

If the box is assembled, to keep things steady, and you start by drilling the holes with a smaller drill (2-3 mm), and then drill them up to the desired size little by little, it might work. The box is made of steel, which is a hard material, so you might need some drills, that is meant for this.

Looking forward to follow this :)

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:30 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’ve got several metal drill bits and I will try it out. Probably won’t have time until the end of the month, but we’ll see :)
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Return to “General Gear”