Gotharman's Tiny LD

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Gotharman's Tiny LD

Post by gotharman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:01 pm

gotharman wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:52 am
The amazing new SSI2140 in Tiny LD:

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:45 pm

I finally had the chace to work with it. Been using the OSC as sample player, but I'm having a very hard time trying to save my patches. As soon as I hit the save button on the save page, it resets everything back to the init page with the basic saw wave and I lose everything I've done. In fact, Haven't been able to save anything yet so I'm stuck right now. Is there something wrong with version 12.46 or is it me?

Sidenote: I'm workign with long samples (around 20 secs) and I hear some aliasing as soon as I'm not on the root note. Is that normal? I don't hear this artefact on short samples.

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm not sure what the problem is. You just hit save, touch the preset you want to save to, name it and hit save again and its saved. If its not saving as you expect it to then maybe you have an issue where you were editing with the morph knob turned? Perhaps a video showing your problem would help.

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Hey, it works !! Many thanks for the morph advice Rayce. :tu:
In MORE menu, I swapped MORPH from SONG to PRESET. I don't know if that really was the issue, but seems to work.
I also have a better access to the sequencer now.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 am

A new Tiny LD update and dual filterboard are now available:

-Now compatible with new dual line SSI2140 filterboard –VCF conn V2 required.

-Parametric EQ insert effects added

-All sequencer steps on a subtrack can now be offset adjusted with one knob movement

-Position Rotation Modulation added to the Sequencer note tracks

-It is now possible to output one Audio BUS to another Audio BUS.

-A BUS Follower/Envelope OFF position has been added.

-Insert effects input gain can now be adjusted

-LOWR button can now function as a Freeze button.

-When recording an audio track, the BPM of this is now included in the sample name.

-Audio inputs can now be swapped

-Quick Edit Knobs can now be switched off

-Some page names on the BUS pages has been changed, to make it look less cryptic.

You can get it here:

http://www.gotharman.dk/LD3_updates.htm

You can find the new SSI2140 dual line analog filter for Tiny LD here:

http://www.gotharman.dk/dual_SSI2140_VCF.htm

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks a lot for all the hard work on this instrument. It's a very powerful device. Sometimes I whish I could get the 4 extra knobs of the LD3 + the extra minutes of audio samples. But until now, I've only scratched the surface and already came with super nice sounds.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:43 am

Scories wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:32 pm
Thanks a lot for all the hard work on this instrument. It's a very powerful device. Sometimes I whish I could get the 4 extra knobs of the LD3 + the extra minutes of audio samples. But until now, I've only scratched the surface and already came with super nice sounds.
It's my pleasure! Great to hear that you are enjoying it!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:06 am

A new update are available, that fixes a bug.
-If the Variator effect was selected, either as insert or output effect, it would, at certain effect settings, sometimes cause SpazeDrum to crash, and write "HARDFAULT" in the display. This might also have applied to other effects. This has now been fixed.
Get the update here:
http://www.gotharman.dk/LD3_updates.htm

Fsuchs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fsuchs » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:45 am

Defintely interested in buying this gnarly monster.. But still.. i am a bit confused about how i could incorporate it to my rig...
Mostly use modular synth and i want to invest in a propper workstation capable of doing instant chopping ovver recording. + The amazing sequencing capabilities and the deep sound engine already tick all the boxes for me...
But still i have a question. when i capture (record) audio... is it possible to use the left and right input to record 2 separate tracks, and use them separately?
As i plan to work using "stems".. i would love to be able to capture my audio this way... more efficient and makes more sense, at least for me ;)

Thanks in advance for your precisions!

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:31 am

Fsuchs wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:45 am
Defintely interested in buying this gnarly monster.. But still.. i am a bit confused about how i could incorporate it to my rig...
Mostly use modular synth and i want to invest in a propper workstation capable of doing instant chopping ovver recording. + The amazing sequencing capabilities and the deep sound engine already tick all the boxes for me...
But still i have a question. when i capture (record) audio... is it possible to use the left and right input to record 2 separate tracks, and use them separately?
As i plan to work using "stems".. i would love to be able to capture my audio this way... more efficient and makes more sense, at least for me ;)

Thanks in advance for your precisions!
Thank you very much for your interest in Tiny LD.

Unfortunately it can't record 2 separate tracks at the same time. It can only record one mono or one stereo track at a time.

Fsuchs
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fsuchs » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:39 am

Ok... Thanks for your quick answer :) now the choice gonna get tougher.. I mean... I would really love a multi source sampler.... and the choice is quiet restricted (apart from octatrack I can see nothing which can multisample)... And your gears are definitely appealing... The morphing feature alone is dope... Both for sample and sequences... I guess I can live with just one stereo sample at once... :)

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:02 pm

Tiny LD in da house :nana:
F2D09E43-6132-4149-A87E-40C7065F90FE.jpeg
I’m using this 9V power bank by the way, which has worked splendidly with all my Gotharman gear, as well as plenty of other synths. It’s very affordable, small, light weight, lasts long and can be charged via USB, so there’s no 9V charger required and you can simply use your phone charger or even a USB solar panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:45 pm

Flx congrats on your new addition to the family. It is a tiny box of wonders.

Here's a video of a new track

I took just 2 samples, one a loop of birdsongs and the other about 10 drum hits from Battery. That's it. I spent 5-10 minutes setting up some random sequences and modulations and effects on the TLD, and then let it rip.

I get more fun, and surprises, and laughter at times, out of the TLD than any other instrument I've used in a long time.
Last edited by Exiannyc on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joakim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Joakim » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:27 pm

Haha, that track is nuts, Exian. Might be my favourite deFormer recording. I'm listening with a sub and there's some big bass going on. Did you use any filters or is it mostly the original samples along with the resonator and granulator?

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:21 am

Joakim wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:27 pm
Haha, that track is nuts, Exian. Might be my favourite deFormer recording. I'm listening with a sub and there's some big bass going on. Did you use any filters or is it mostly the original samples along with the resonator and granulator?
Thx Joakim - aw shucks - one of the samples was a pretty heavily processed and deformed loop of bird sounds that did have filters on it (I think). (It was one of the sounds toward the end of this video

And there's a kick or two among the Battery hits that has a deep bass thump to it. And I think a LFO was modulating the pitches and probably sending them down into the basement sometimes. But other than that yeah just resonator, delay and granulator - just standard Deformer stuff. ;)

Joakim
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Joakim » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:45 am

Sounds about right. Standard, foundation-shaking deFormer stuff. :)

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:10 am

Had my Tiny LD mkII for a week now, so here are some first impressions from a LD3 user:

- It’s nicely compact, but compared to an LD3 mkI it’s not actually that much smaller on a desk. It is less high though, making it a bit more backpack friendly.

- Since there are less knobs and buttons than on the LD3, one uses the touch screen a lot more of course. The two-handed operation from the LD3 and SpazeDrum still works very well on the Tiny LD though. So when you know where things are in the menus, you can still work quick enough.

- I surprisingly do miss my LD3’s analog filters. So maybe there will be an upgrade in the future. The Tiny LD’s Dual SSI2140 filter board sure looks great.

- I’ve been working more with re-sampling and experimental sound scapes on the Tiny LD and less with traditional synth sound design and step sequencing. I assume that’s because of the reduced amount of physical controls as well, which make sequencing a bit slower than on the LD3. This is really cool though. My brain somehow responds differently to the Tiny LD than to the LD3, so I don’t feel too much of an overlap between the devices yet. I might also use the Tiny as an effect box and sampler on my mixer’s main stereo out.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Exiannyc wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:45 pm
Flx congrats on your new addition to the family. It is a tiny box of wonders.

Here's a soundcloud track https://soundcloud.com/christian-huygen ... collective

I took just 2 samples, one a loop of birdsongs and the other about 10 drum hits from Battery. That's it. I spent 5-10 minutes setting up some random sequences and modulations and effects on the TLD, and then let it rip.

I get more fun, and surprises, and laughter at times, out of the TLD than any other instrument I've used in a long time.
Really cool track! Thanks so much for sharing!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 am

A quick question: I can't find the Mute mode "latch" setting. Is this not implemented on the Tiny LD?
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:39 am

Here's a stereo granular beat jam on the Tiny LD :goo:

All internal Tiny LD synth sounds and effects, which I have partly re-sampled and granularized though.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:13 am

flx wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:02 am
A quick question: I can't find the Mute mode "latch" setting. Is this not implemented on the Tiny LD?
No, sorry, Tiny LD does not have this functionality.

gotharman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gotharman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:13 am

flx wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:39 am
Here's a stereo granular beat jam on the Tiny LD :goo:

All internal Tiny LD synth sounds and effects, which I have partly re-sampled and granularized though.
Really nice track! Thanks so much for making this and sharing it!

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:48 pm

A performance on the TLD based on a 5 second melody from the Ellitone E[64] generative music device.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:47 am

I‘ve been traveling some more recently, which was one of the main reasons for getting a Tiny LD. My regular LD3 mkI is not super big either, but the Tiny is still more compact and backpack-friendly, yet it offers basically the full Little deFormer 3 experience. Here it is on one of several train journeys:
87A3311B-D5ED-4786-BBB0-536713C724DB.jpeg
It’s powered by a Harley Benton PowerPlant 9V/USB Power Bank, so I didn‘t even bring a regular power supply, just my USB mobile phone charger. Very convenient! I‘ve already created several presets, which I plan to record and edit into a TinyLD-only travel music release :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Exiannyc
Common Wiggler

Post by Exiannyc » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 am

flx wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:47 am
I‘ve been traveling some more recently, which was one of the main reasons for getting a Tiny LD. My regular LD3 mkI is not super big either, but the Tiny is still more compact and backpack-friendly, yet it offers basically the full Little deFormer 3 experience. ...

It’s powered by a Harley Benton PowerPlant 9V/USB Power Bank, so I didn‘t even bring a regular power supply, just my USB mobile phone charger. Very convenient! I‘ve already created several presets, which I plan to record and edit into a TinyLD-only travel music release :party:
@Flx thx for the info about the Power Bank and I'm glad to hear you like both the TLD and the LD3. I have the little one but not the big one.

I sometimes wish I had more buttons and knobs, but I still love the TLD, and I think it's amazing that Gotharman's offers so much power in such a tiny, portable box, at a price point that's so reasonable.

Return to “General Gear”