The Division Department - 01/IV Drum Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: The Division Department - 01/IV Drum Synthesizer

Post by MindMachine » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Still coming soon but this looks sweet. Sounds good too. Not so keen on only midi sequencing. Guess I'll need an old MSQ-700.

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/division ... 01-iv.html
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 pm

One of my 01/IV's randomly stopped working last night. Midi still allows pass through, and I can run some diagnostic mode by holding button 1 while turning on the unit (voice 4 drones), but all triggers and midi in don't fire any of the voices. The unit has been babied, so nothing by way of movement dislodged anything.

Hope this issue doesn't pop up for any of the other machines out there. :waah:

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:44 pm

PLNB wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 pm
One of my 01/IV's randomly stopped working last night. Midi still allows pass through, and I can run some diagnostic mode by holding button 1 while turning on the unit (voice 4 drones), but all triggers and midi in don't fire any of the voices. The unit has been babied, so nothing by way of movement dislodged anything.
Hope this issue doesn't pop up for any of the other machines out there. :waah:
That's awful news. No doubt you'll be sending it back asap. I think they're partly based in Hong Kong - at least that's where my unit is currently coming from.

And from your comment you have two ?! How have you been finding them?

Sadly there's no escape from malfunctions. My Polyend Seq malfunctioned within a couple of weeks of buying new. The only option they gave me was to send it back to Poland. Polyend was superfast in the repair, but other very slow middlemen in the chain meant the whole process took about 6 - 7 weeks :cry: On the other hand I've had Euro manufacturers who have sent a replacement unit even before my old unit has got back to them.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 pm

I ordered 1 and after realizing how awesome the fm function is, and decided a second unit could give me 4 fm voices on two channels. Ordered both units directly from DD on the first run, so hopefully there are more in stock now that PC has stocked some units. Appreciate the positive words :tu:

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Update.. My unit is back functioning again after a firmware update. Very responsive developer at DD! Back in business.

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

PLNB wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:01 pm
Update.. My unit is back functioning again after a firmware update. Very responsive developer at DD! Back in business.
That's great news, thanks for the update. I'll take a firmware fix over hardware issues any day! Meanwhile my unit is still in transit...

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm

used the 01/IV Drum Synthesizer for a major drone element in last night's live broadcast:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 am

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm
used the 01/IV Drum Synthesizer for a major drone element in last night's live broadcast:
Love it! Sounds like a funeral march - which is a compliment by the way.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 am

Those who own one, having some quirky behaviour here (voice #1 seems to be stuck on repeat, not getting any FM..) I have emailed Division, but does anyone know offhand of a way to reset?

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:10 am

I only had mine for a few hours, but it's loads of fun. The repeats can turn it into a kind of drum machine rather than just a voice box and the interaction of cross-modded voices is very interesting. The four pads have an excellent feel.
Sir Ruff wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 am
Those who own one, having some quirky behaviour here (voice #1 seems to be stuck on repeat, not getting any FM..) I have emailed Division, but does anyone know offhand of a way to reset?
Can't help much with the above issue. My only thought is maybe, if you have it MIDI'ed up, you've accidently sent it some complex CC command? I've had a couple of moments already where I thought 'oh no a malfunction'. A small tweak and it spun off into some glitched nothingness. But a few twiddles and a switch or two and it's back. Maybe just a symptom of the wide range of sounds that's possible?

I do have an issue of my own: Just can't get it to recognize incoming MIDI from my DAW. It's definitely sending to the unit because I can see the data on the channel, but the 01 isn't interested. As an experiment I hooked it up directly to the MIDI out of the Sub37 and the Sub played it fine. Anyine have any DAW experience ?

And a bummer there was only one MIDI adaptor! Do they think we only want in or out but never both :lol:

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:53 am

Argh! I got the same "stuck on repeat" problem. Tried all sorts of things. Finally I tried moving the 'depth' knob while playing and that seemed to do the trick. This thing has a very surprising wide range of sounds, far more than you'd think by the relatively simple controls. Also solved my MIDI issue - user error of course.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 am

The user card(s) that come with the unit is a nice sidekick to use while you learn the units control features. The two bottom knobs are wide range and multi use for setting the envelopes, repeats, and LFO destination settings (which aren't noted as CC only, like LFO shape). There is also a specific key you can activate when a sound drones unintentionally following an external triggered (daw/hardware) pattern stop.

FM is pretty much flip the 1 > 2 switch to middle on both the first and second voice, and play both triggers (there are certain keys that play multiple voices simultaneously). If you set the switch to the far right, that voice is removed, but still transmits fm to the linked voice.

Return to “General Gear”