The Division Department - 01/IV Drum Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: The Division Department - 01/IV Drum Synthesizer

Post by MindMachine » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Still coming soon but this looks sweet. Sounds good too. Not so keen on only midi sequencing. Guess I'll need an old MSQ-700.

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/division ... 01-iv.html
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 pm

One of my 01/IV's randomly stopped working last night. Midi still allows pass through, and I can run some diagnostic mode by holding button 1 while turning on the unit (voice 4 drones), but all triggers and midi in don't fire any of the voices. The unit has been babied, so nothing by way of movement dislodged anything.

Hope this issue doesn't pop up for any of the other machines out there. :waah:

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:44 pm

PLNB wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:57 pm
One of my 01/IV's randomly stopped working last night. Midi still allows pass through, and I can run some diagnostic mode by holding button 1 while turning on the unit (voice 4 drones), but all triggers and midi in don't fire any of the voices. The unit has been babied, so nothing by way of movement dislodged anything.
Hope this issue doesn't pop up for any of the other machines out there. :waah:
That's awful news. No doubt you'll be sending it back asap. I think they're partly based in Hong Kong - at least that's where my unit is currently coming from.

And from your comment you have two ?! How have you been finding them?

Sadly there's no escape from malfunctions. My Polyend Seq malfunctioned within a couple of weeks of buying new. The only option they gave me was to send it back to Poland. Polyend was superfast in the repair, but other very slow middlemen in the chain meant the whole process took about 6 - 7 weeks :cry: On the other hand I've had Euro manufacturers who have sent a replacement unit even before my old unit has got back to them.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 pm

I ordered 1 and after realizing how awesome the fm function is, and decided a second unit could give me 4 fm voices on two channels. Ordered both units directly from DD on the first run, so hopefully there are more in stock now that PC has stocked some units. Appreciate the positive words :tu:

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Update.. My unit is back functioning again after a firmware update. Very responsive developer at DD! Back in business.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

PLNB wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:01 pm
Update.. My unit is back functioning again after a firmware update. Very responsive developer at DD! Back in business.
That's great news, thanks for the update. I'll take a firmware fix over hardware issues any day! Meanwhile my unit is still in transit...

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm

used the 01/IV Drum Synthesizer for a major drone element in last night's live broadcast:
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 am

SPIKE the Percussionist wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:45 pm
used the 01/IV Drum Synthesizer for a major drone element in last night's live broadcast:
Love it! Sounds like a funeral march - which is a compliment by the way.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 am

Those who own one, having some quirky behaviour here (voice #1 seems to be stuck on repeat, not getting any FM..) I have emailed Division, but does anyone know offhand of a way to reset?

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:10 am

I only had mine for a few hours, but it's loads of fun. The repeats can turn it into a kind of drum machine rather than just a voice box and the interaction of cross-modded voices is very interesting. The four pads have an excellent feel.
Sir Ruff wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 am
Those who own one, having some quirky behaviour here (voice #1 seems to be stuck on repeat, not getting any FM..) I have emailed Division, but does anyone know offhand of a way to reset?
Can't help much with the above issue. My only thought is maybe, if you have it MIDI'ed up, you've accidently sent it some complex CC command? I've had a couple of moments already where I thought 'oh no a malfunction'. A small tweak and it spun off into some glitched nothingness. But a few twiddles and a switch or two and it's back. Maybe just a symptom of the wide range of sounds that's possible?

I do have an issue of my own: Just can't get it to recognize incoming MIDI from my DAW. It's definitely sending to the unit because I can see the data on the channel, but the 01 isn't interested. As an experiment I hooked it up directly to the MIDI out of the Sub37 and the Sub played it fine. Anyine have any DAW experience ?

And a bummer there was only one MIDI adaptor! Do they think we only want in or out but never both :lol:

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:53 am

Argh! I got the same "stuck on repeat" problem. Tried all sorts of things. Finally I tried moving the 'depth' knob while playing and that seemed to do the trick. This thing has a very surprising wide range of sounds, far more than you'd think by the relatively simple controls. Also solved my MIDI issue - user error of course.

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 am

The user card(s) that come with the unit is a nice sidekick to use while you learn the units control features. The two bottom knobs are wide range and multi use for setting the envelopes, repeats, and LFO destination settings (which aren't noted as CC only, like LFO shape). There is also a specific key you can activate when a sound drones unintentionally following an external triggered (daw/hardware) pattern stop.

FM is pretty much flip the 1 > 2 switch to middle on both the first and second voice, and play both triggers (there are certain keys that play multiple voices simultaneously). If you set the switch to the far right, that voice is removed, but still transmits fm to the linked voice.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:09 pm

It's a beautiful and curious machine. The default envelopes are interesting. The pads on the machine itself give and excellent sharp shape. I then used a Korg NanoPad2 on 'momentary' and the result was a different sound - much longer. And then, triggering from a keyboard you can get full sustain! So much depth to this little thing.

Maffez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maffez » Sat May 09, 2020 3:49 am

Did some recordings, looked around a bit in the thing and did a little write-up, if there's interest: https://maffez.com/?page_id=325

Really like this thing for it's sound and modulation possibilities, although I had to wrap my mind aroudn this stuck on repeat thing too :)

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat May 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Maffez wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:49 am
Did some recordings, looked around a bit in the thing and did a little write-up, if there's interest: https://maffez.com/?page_id=325
Really like this thing for it's sound and modulation possibilities, although I had to wrap my mind aroudn this stuck on repeat thing too :)
Great write up and an interesting read.

As you noted (and demonstrated by my flailings when I first got the unit) it's very easy to get stuck in drone or repeat mode and think there's a malfunction. But overall the design of this machine is excellent.

I especially like the character of the noise and filter, and the range of sounds in this area is something which Elektron Model-Cycles simply can't make. I was surprized to find Cycles doesn't have a noise source beyond it's hat sound. To continue the Cycles comparison in the area of pitch tracking: Cycles is clearly brilliant. So good I keep hearing Cycle demos which are 80% pitched notes rather than drums! So maybe this could even be seen as a plus for the 01/IV to keep the focus on drums.

Another design decision I like of the 01/IV is that everything is accessed from a single MIDI channel. I dislike machines which burn through multiple channels when the total supply is so limited.

A headphones jack might have been nice but the separate outs are certainly very welcome. I'm sending individual channels into my Euro rig as audio and effecting them that way which works very well.

What's helped me massively is creating a couple of MIDI cc templates on the Novation LaunchPad Pro3. That way I can make sure drone is off, change the lfo and modulation type, play pitched, tune the hats etc. Really tames the wild edges.

synth4ever
Learning to Wiggle

Post by synth4ever » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 am

Hi gents, can anyone elaborate on the differences between 01/IV vs. Vermona DRM1 MK3 vs. Mode Machines ADX-1 in terms of modulation and most sound design potential? Do the DRM1 and ADX-1 even have LFOs?

I'm considering picking up an analog drum expander and these three seem to share similar features (analog sound generators + FM)... but at first glance the 01/IV seems to have more filter types, LFOs and more FM options compared to either DRM and ADX-1 which leads me to think it can create more varied sounds. Would you agree?

Conversely, what advantages would the DRM1 and ADX-1 have vs the 01/IV?

Any insights appreciated, cheers.
synth4ever - Live ambient electronica / synthesizer demos
http://www.youtube.com/synth4ever

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:26 am

The 01/IV has four identical voices with three filter settings, drone mode, FM, and CC modulation. None of the voices are "drum, kick, snare, hat" so you will need to flip a switch and dial each voice to taste. Size wise the 01/IV is right there with most semi modular tabletop units and low profile. Solid build, but not bombproof like the Vermona. 4 01/IV vs 8 voices (drm1). 01/IV offers chromatic playing, so its more similar to the Nord Drum in that respect. No trigger option on 01/IV, but it has indi outs and mix (mono).

The LFO's on the 01/IV are excellent and along with the FM, are really what sets it apart from other drummies on the market. Plenty of range for creating non drum sounds, so it can be spread around for bass, drone, fx, perc,

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:48 pm

To add to that: I think the 01/IV really needs some sort of external MIDI controller to make sure you don't get stuck in weird drone modes and such. Also helps for tuning the hats, changing LFO function etc. I've not used the Vermona Mk3 but have listened to the demos and was certainly struck by the similarity in many of the sounds. The 01/IV can certainly get weird though.

RecycleYourPets
Common Wiggler

Post by RecycleYourPets » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:17 am

I have one of these on the way and im quite excited but one thing i cant seem to find information on is which standard of TRS midi it is using? Could anyone here confirm if it is using type A or B?
Schenk.work - instagram.com/schenk.work

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 pm

RecycleYourPets wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:17 am
I have one of these on the way and im quite excited but one thing i cant seem to find information on is which standard of TRS midi it is using? Could anyone here confirm if it is using type A or B?
I wanted to know the same thing so I emailed them directly with this as the very specific question. This was their reply:
On our website, you can see the connections for the midi adapter jack. Probably that can help. Unfortunately there's no standards yet.
Anyways, If you just want one midi adapter, we'll send it to you, no problem. Let us know !

So I asked to be sent / purchase a cable, but they never replied, although they did reply on another question with a very detailed response. :hmm:

At least on their website they have the MIDI spec chart so maybe you can figure it out from the pins:
https://www.thedivisiondepartment.com/pages/01-iv

I ended up buying this cable and it worked:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322831205109
I think that's a B version

RecycleYourPets
Common Wiggler

Post by RecycleYourPets » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:40 am

Richard deHove wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 pm
RecycleYourPets wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:17 am
I wanted to know the same thing so I emailed them directly with this as the very specific question. This was their reply:
On our website, you can see the connections for the midi adapter jack. Probably that can help. Unfortunately there's no standards yet.
Anyways, If you just want one midi adapter, we'll send it to you, no problem. Let us know !

So I asked to be sent / purchase a cable, but they never replied, although they did reply on another question with a very detailed response. :hmm:

At least on their website they have the MIDI spec chart so maybe you can figure it out from the pins:
https://www.thedivisiondepartment.com/pages/01-iv

I ended up buying this cable and it worked:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322831205109
I think that's a B version
Strange they did not give you a very straight answer! I got reply from them last night:

Thanks for your interest in 01/IV, and for getting in touch !

The 01/IV uses the type B standard.

Hope the unit will inspire you, let us know if you have any questions !

So seems to definitely be the Type B which should be useful information for everyone.
Schenk.work - instagram.com/schenk.work

dp4
Common Wiggler

Post by dp4 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:37 am

nice didn’t realize these were available for purchase since initial run(s)

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:34 am

This drum machine is massively more modular-friendly that I thought I was getting. I needed some straight analog drums - particularly a kick - to help make my sequences more song-like. The DFAM leaves planet earth super easily and I realized I need just a basic percussion anchor on some things I way playing around with, so I landed on the 01/IV because it seemed a little odd and one-off (i.e., special enough: Hong Kong, cool videos, etc.). Anyways, so each voice has a separate 3.5 out jack that fold super-well into both SV-1 and the Subharmonicon, but very differently.

With the SV-1, you can share midi between both machines and the lace-up the four-channel mixer on the Pittsburgh with the percussion outs and jam away (or do two or three, and patch the spares into the FM modulation for each oscillator). The result is this lovely, well-balance, ultra-percussive synth, plus you can still play the buttons while MIDI grooves AND the button controlled voices will play with different parameter settings than what the MIDI is telling it.

With the Subharmonicon, I tuned a four-note polyphonic chord with each main oscillators and then two of the four subs. Then I turned the 01/IV to drone mode and patched the four voices into the four notes of the Subharmonicon chord. The result is like much more noise/ contour/dissonance to the voices without distortion. The plucks sound much less Moog-y and more timbral, forrest-like, reedy, etc.

One last cool find is that a SQ-1 on 5v duty will trigger voices 2, 3 and 4 with its sequencer.

My biggest conundrum/issue currently seems to be that the four 3.5 out jacks seem to have way more heat than the MIXER OUT does. I think it's probably something that is user error, if anyone can help out. The sites says:

"CONNECTIONS
MIDI In/Thru via 3.5mm stereo jacks
Main outputs level: +14 dBu peak-to-peak
Output impedance: 1K Ω unbalanced
1 × 3.5mm audio out mono jacks - Mix out
4 × 3.5mm audio out mono jacks - Individual Voices out"

Is there a reason the mixer out would be super quiet when the individual voices are not?

Return to “General Gear”