U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

KL1982
Learning to Wiggle

Re: U.D.O. Super 6 hybrid "binaural" poly

Post by KL1982 » Sat May 02, 2020 11:37 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Sorry KL you are indeed entitlde to your honest opinion. Perhaps my point was more don't label a forum toxic because of one new member's post.

I just think he is very enthusiastic and actually not a salesman rather than too much a salesman.
No problem. No offense taken. The joys of internet communication.

You could well be correct RE his not being a salesman.

Assuming the Sonicstate presentation wasn't scripted, having a cohesive list/progression of talking points/features would have helped his case. The whole thing to me came off as ill-prepared; it felt more like he simply turned up with the instrument.

Given George has worked (to an extent) in the business world in a past life, I was very surprised by the apparent lack of preparedness. If he worked for my company and presented the brand as of the Sonicstate video, I'd have fired him when he returned to the office later that day.

My concern in these situations is in the possibility of this ill-preparedness being extended through to the instrument i.e never-ending updates/bug fixes due to poor compliance/lack of objective oversight.

I'm certainly not going to take the risk of paying not a small sum to report problems with a synth back to the person who should have dealt with these problems in the first place.

Again though, I hope I'm completely wrong and all goes well for UDO.

I'm keeping an eye on the synth. Possibly in a couple of years I'll pick one up.

Maybe George should step back a bit. If UDO becomes 'the George show', this could be very dangerous. As far as I'm aware, no-one else at UDO has presented the instrument, which would suggest this may be the case. But maybe I need to find/look at more UDO videos.

All best

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Sat May 02, 2020 11:45 am

"I"m extremely worried about a bunch of problems that allegedly exist but haven't been revealed yet."

Okay.

j bowman
Common Wiggler

Post by j bowman » Sat May 02, 2020 12:54 pm

Given George's experience working in the F1, medical-instruments and aviation industries, I would be surprised if there are any more bugs in the Super 6 than one would find in any new synth or other product. The Paul Dither interview posted above is very reassuring from this perspective, and goes into these questions at length - if anything the instrument sounds to have been deliberately "over-engineered".

I know at least one person who is testing this Synth and their feedback is very positive.

I think in truth George and the Super 6 are inseparable, in the same way that the world doesn't get a Continuum Fingerboard without Professor Lippold Haken (not to minimise the hard work of the others involved) - to my understanding there is a similar level of dedication and vocation in this case.

I'm not really in the market for another polysynth but I respect the vision, dedication and drive it takes to bring something like the Super 6 into existence. These qualities, combined with the sounds I am hearing in the demos, make this a tempting proposition.

KL1982
Learning to Wiggle

Post by KL1982 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:37 pm

j bowman wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:54 pm
Given George's experience working in the F1, medical-instruments and aviation industries, I would be surprised if there are any more bugs in the Super 6 than one would find in any new synth or other product.
Yes, here's hoping.

j bowman wrote:
The Paul Dither interview posted above is very reassuring from this perspective, and goes into these questions at length - if anything the instrument sounds to have been deliberately "over-engineered".
I'll watch the interview you mentioned later.

j bowman wrote:
I think in truth George and the Super 6 are inseparable, in the same way that the world doesn't get a Continuum Fingerboard without Professor Lippold Haken (not to minimise the hard work of the others involved) - to my understanding there is a similar level of dedication and vocation in this case.
I agree with you RE this/George and UDO's inseparability.

Perhaps it is unwarranted concern on my behalf. But I've seen companies in the past fail due to this very reason i.e a company becomes a platform for the developer to deliver themselves, to the detriment of delivering a product.

j bowman wrote:
I'm not really in the market for another polysynth but I respect the vision, dedication and drive it takes to bring something like the Super 6 into existence. These qualities, combined with the sounds I am hearing in the demos, make this a tempting proposition.
I am in the market for a polysynth.

But there's no rush/I'm hanging off for now.

All best

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 pm

I'm sure some of you have seen this
George seems like a true enthusiast and a perfectionist.
KL1982 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:37 am
dubonaire wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Sorry KL you are indeed entitlde to your honest opinion. Perhaps my point was more don't label a forum toxic because of one new member's post.

I just think he is very enthusiastic and actually not a salesman rather than too much a salesman.
No problem. No offense taken. The joys of internet communication.

You could well be correct RE his not being a salesman.

Assuming the Sonicstate presentation wasn't scripted, having a cohesive list/progression of talking points/features would have helped his case. The whole thing to me came off as ill-prepared; it felt more like he simply turned up with the instrument.

Given George has worked (to an extent) in the business world in a past life, I was very surprised by the apparent lack of preparedness. If he worked for my company and presented the brand as of the Sonicstate video, I'd have fired him when he returned to the office later that day.

My concern in these situations is in the possibility of this ill-preparedness being extended through to the instrument i.e never-ending updates/bug fixes due to poor compliance/lack of objective oversight.

I'm certainly not going to take the risk of paying not a small sum to report problems with a synth back to the person who should have dealt with these problems in the first place.

Again though, I hope I'm completely wrong and all goes well for UDO.

I'm keeping an eye on the synth. Possibly in a couple of years I'll pick one up.

Maybe George should step back a bit. If UDO becomes 'the George show', this could be very dangerous. As far as I'm aware, no-one else at UDO has presented the instrument, which would suggest this may be the case. But maybe I need to find/look at more UDO videos.

All best
I don't want slick 'corporate' presentations, nothing turns me off more, I'm afraid when you started talking about 'brand presentation' I almost lost interest... :confused: Synths are still a tiny niche market, last thing we need is brand presentation, we need well run companies who have a clear idea what the're aiming for.
From the above video I see he's wanting to get this right before release, it's been a year since that initial presentation at Superbooth - no sign of rushing it out. Interesting to see watching the video how much care he's taking over the insides as well in terms of parts and servicability. I do take your point re George maybe being too in front but It's his company. Like a previous poster said I think you're extrapolating too much when you suggest his supposed 'lack of professionalism' (which I just take as enthusiasm) could lead to a buggy release.

I did have a few minutes on it at Superbooth last year, sans presets - (I know, should have done better).Built like a tank, sadly after 3 days of Superbooth I was 'synthed out' so didn't make the best of it.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 am

I just pre-ordered one, can’t wait!

Sabana
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Sabana » Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am

A new forum desicated to the Udo Super 6 has been created witht the blessings of George Hearn the creator of the synth. Anyone who has preordered or thinking of is welcome to join for fun discussions and music patch sharing etc.

https://udosuper6.freeforums.net/

Hermetech Mastering
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Hermetech Mastering » Sun May 24, 2020 10:37 am

Sabana wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am
A new forum desicated to the Udo Super 6 has been created witht the blessings of George Hearn the creator of the synth. Anyone who has preordered or thinking of is welcome to join for fun discussions and music patch sharing etc.

https://udosuper6.freeforums.net/
Where has it gone?

lessmudmorepunch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lessmudmorepunch » Sun May 24, 2020 11:52 pm

Yea I just saw it was taken down too. Weird

Return to “General Gear”