Studiologic Numa Compact 2X

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Studiologic Numa Compact 2X

Post by Randy » Mon May 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Not sure if this is useful for anyone but I've been looking for something piano-ish that had 88 keys, reasonable sounds and wasn't too heavy to bring to jams and gigs. I have been taking a Roland A90EX up to now, but I'm getting too old to want to carry it around.

Tried out a Studiologic Numa Compact 2X a few weeks ago and decided to purchase one. It's nice, although certainly a bit different.

So, if anyone is interested in a quick demo that goes beyond the factory sounds, here's my little effort.

Randy

meatballfulton
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Studiologic Numa Compact 2X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 am

Randy, thx for the demo. I've been interested in the 2x for a while now but all the factory/dealer demos have been rather unimpressive. I like how you put the sounds in context, it sounds like it's what I've been looking for.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the video. There is a firmware update that I have not done yet so I'm still working with the original sounds but so far, I still like the thing. It's hard to not like carrying it around! Most of the sounds are still usable and I've made a few minor adjustments. They really need to do something about the distortion model 'though, it is awful.

Hope you will forgive me for a bit of self-promotion, but there's another video featuring the NC2X here:

HSS
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HSS » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:36 pm

I enjoyed your demos. Nice playing! Many thanks for going through the time and effort to put the demos together.

I just ordered the Numa Compact2x last week. It should arrive this coming Wednesday. I reviewed the firmware update procedure on the Studiologic website and it looks pretty complex, especially compared to my Nord 5d and Kurz SP6 which have easy streamlined procedures for updates and adding sounds/ samples. I'll be most interested to hear about your effort to update the Compact 2x's firmware.

BTW... How did you add the drum patterns and audio to the songs you demoed? Did you use the Compact 2x's USB audio?

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks! I use a Windows PC with Reaper as my DAW so everything runs through a Behringer X32 (works great but no more Behringer for me) then into the DAW. That video is overdubbed, there are a few tracks. The drums are from an Alesis SR-16. I wanted to demo the NC2X and the Oberheim SEM-inspired synth voice I've been working on with modular guy PM Foundations.

That update procedure, argh!!!! I left that for awhile and got back to it a few days ago. Still no luck. Sent a note to Studiologic, who responded quite quickly with some suggestions but so far no luck. Still working on it.

The one area that really needs work on the NC2X is the distortion. I like my B3-ish patches to have some grit, so I had a friend design and build a stereo distortion box for me. Big difference.

Do some demos for us when you get yours.

Randy

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:08 pm

The firmware update worked. Took a few attempts and some very timely help from Studiologic, but I now have the latest firmware and access via the new Setup Manager.

It is nice when a manufacturer actually replies in a timely fashion and actually helps!

HSS
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HSS » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am

It's good to know you got the update loaded and working. I received my Compact 2X yesterday and tried updating last night a couple times and failed. I'm running Windows 10 and using Midi Ox. I plan to contact Studiologic today for some help.

FWIW... I'm a weekend warrior live-gigger, playing mainly AP, EP and B3 in old-school blues, soul and jazz bands. After briefly playing the Compact 2X last night, I found its onboard AP/EP/B3 sounds to be very usable and plan to use the Compact 2X by itself for quick in/out gigs, rehearsals, as back-up for my other gigging boards, and as a practice / idea board at home.

IMO the Compact's 2X's Fatar TP9-piano action, which I was already familiar with, is one of the best semi-weighted actions I've played and for me is one of the few actions that work well for AP, EP, and B3 chops. I was pleasantly surprised by the Compact 2X's core B3 sound, and with a little tweaking, it's not that far off from my Hammond SK1's and Nord 5D's B3, which cost about three times as much. Of course the Compact 2X's B3 settings are not nearly editable and its Leslie sim and overdrive are not as good as the Nord's and Hammond's. I'm hoping that the Compact 2X's Leslie sim can perhaps be improved in a future update. I should note that I don't play with a lot of overdrive, so I'm not as concerned about it as more rock-oriented players.

When I get a chance, I'll return the favor and record some stuff.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 am

I'll try to remember what SL told me, since the email is at home. Use something called Free MIDI Player instead of MIDI OX to send the file. Unplug everything that's USB on your computer and only plug the NC2X in. On Free MIDI Player, make sure you can see the NC2X, and change the playback speed to 50%. It'll make sense when you see the player.

That is what eventually worked for me.

HSS
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HSS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:27 pm

I used Free MIDI Player and the Firmware update worked like a charm.

Many thanks Randy!

evilspock
Common Wiggler

Post by evilspock » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:15 pm

This one is really strong on the radar for my next acquisition. I'm not a hammer action keyboard person and two of my favorite keyboard actions are the Kawai K5000S and the original Novation Remote SL (Mk I). I don't suppose anyone has been able to compare the action on this instrument to some of the other better semi-weighted keyboard actions out there and if so, what were your conclusions?

Return to “General Gear”