Toraiz Squid Workflow & Usage Discussion

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

tenembre

Post by tenembre » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
That note earlier about the cc knobs not recording - that seems like an omission, but in general - how strong are the modulations, how easy to use them in practice, and to have fun with this thing. I like sequencers where you can evolve patterns through internal and external modulation. The pyramid doesn't have some of the classic modulations, but those midi fx are great, and the recording of everything is great. etc.
The Squid works best if you approach it like an analog sequencer, i.e. get a pattern going and then explore various ways to modify it. A lot of the modulation is aimed at groove and tempo, which is unusual. How strong the modulation feature set is depends on what you like and if the provided tools are useful to you, but these can be played and modified without disrupting the flow. It's fun as hell to mess around with.

User avatar
DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1608
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: St Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by DiscoDevil » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:29 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:but in general - how strong are the modulations, how easy to use them in practice, and to have fun with this thing. I like sequencers where you can evolve patterns through internal and external modulation. The pyramid doesn't have some of the classic modulations, but those midi fx are great, and the recording of everything is great. etc.
Honestly, it's a great pattern generator but some of the modulations are gimmicky and not particularly useful but cool here and there. The front panel real estate could have offered a lot more like bigger pads, a larger screen, x0x step buttons like the SP-16, etc and done without the whole speed and groove section or at least made those controls assignable to whatever you want. You can't externally modulate anything in the SQUID because the only data it responds to is clock, note on/off and velocity. The other data is passed thru but ignored. No CC control over parameters or recording incoming CCs for external gear, no remote program changes, etc.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:20 pm

sequencer looks fun, been trying to find out though...
my concern though is the ability to have space in a pattern.
i like a nice simple pattern (using the groovy things squid can offer) but to repeat it only once every 256 steps or 512 ect...

i see the count feature, seems like it might help a little to add this on unpopulated steps. track resolution effectively forces your notes into a longer quantization im assuming but can be used to some extent with the arp and ratchet

is there anything im missing here? no pattern chaining?
just seems very limited if you like space in your sequence. for that matter it also seems difficult to have just a longer melodic pattern also

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6507
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:44 pm

damase wrote:sequencer looks fun, been trying to find out though...
my concern though is the ability to have space in a pattern.
i like a nice simple pattern (using the groovy things squid can offer) but to repeat it only once every 256 steps or 512 ect...

i see the count feature, seems like it might help a little to add this on unpopulated steps. track resolution effectively forces your notes into a longer quantization im assuming but can be used to some extent with the arp and ratchet

is there anything im missing here? no pattern chaining?
just seems very limited if you like space in your sequence. for that matter it also seems difficult to have just a longer melodic pattern also
There is no pattern chaining, only 16 pattern sets.

User avatar
DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1608
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: St Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by DiscoDevil » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am

So yeah... this thing has been out for 6 months now and is still lacking so much basic functionality, it's like Toraiz is trolling their customer base at this point.

User avatar
RhythmDroid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Post by RhythmDroid » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:15 am

Forgive me if this has been brought up yet, but has anybody mentioned the trick of slowing down a sequencer track to 1/2 speed, then setting up quantization to 32nd notes in order to get a sort of usable 8-bar pattern? Early tests seem to be promising!

User avatar
boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Post by boxxgrooved » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:23 am

I have been watching Pioneer stuff for a while because some of it interests me. One thing I cannot get over is that you cannot sync any music gear to Pioneer's Dj software Rekordbox using midi clock.

Given that you can simply grab any size of loop (from 16ths to as many bars as you like) and have them seamlessly playback in sync and lined up with the current beat makes for a production weapon with enormous potential when combined with drum machines and synths.

You can even retune the loops without changing their tempo in Rekordbox and make a sequence of loops, but alas no midi clock sync whatsoever. I imagine this is intentional so that their software doesnt compete with their SP-16 as a remix sampler. Other DJ software like NI's Traktor has midi clock sync.

User avatar
RhythmDroid
Common Wiggler
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Post by RhythmDroid » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:08 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:So yeah... this thing has been out for 6 months now and is still lacking so much basic functionality, it's like Toraiz is trolling their customer base at this point.
I'm informed that they are currently working on the next firmware update.
IG: RhythmDroid

All my eurorack for sale at once: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=224655

User avatar
DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1608
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 pm
Location: St Paul, MN
Contact:

Post by DiscoDevil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:43 pm

RhythmDroid wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:So yeah... this thing has been out for 6 months now and is still lacking so much basic functionality, it's like Toraiz is trolling their customer base at this point.
I'm informed that they are currently working on the next firmware update.
Yes, this is what I've been told as well. Mine has been sitting unused now since July. At this point I guess I have stopped caring.

User avatar
Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5723
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: on a big voyage

Re:

Post by Funky40 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 am
So yeah... this thing has been out for 6 months now and is still lacking so much basic functionality, it's like Toraiz is trolling their customer base at this point.
has there been any changes ? whats the status ?
what are you Folks opinions today ?


i think i want to have a "jamm-sequenzer" for my modular ( not necessarily needing the CV outs here)
and i thought "now" the squid could be it.


but if it feels like a "baustelle" ? ( work in progress)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”