Casio FZ 1 Midi Sample Dump

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Casio FZ 1 Midi Sample Dump

Post by resetlfo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 am

anyone up there knows how to send wav to a Casio Fz1 ?
I am trying to get some info around , but really couldn't see anything .
thanks a lot !

void23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by void23 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:39 pm

It's been ages since I've used it that way, but I believe Sound Forge still supports SDS.

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 pm

are you asking about software that can do this, or how to get it working with the FZ-1? couldn't have been too hard to figure out, i didn't even have a manual for it (used Steinberg 'Avalon' at the time).

the free C6 software from Elektron (for the MD-UW) should work as well, i used that with an E-mu e4X years back.

reubenfinger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by reubenfinger » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:54 am

It does not support SDS as far as I know and has it's own standard, It can be finnicky and yes you are mostly dealing with old systems or emulators, on mac os9 [so theoretically sheepshaver] Passport Alchemy works. http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/alchemy-30 to edit and transfer.

On windows 98 etc the msdos program FZedit or you have Awave which can convert and save to FZ format [fzf, fzb etc) so that can be used to say batch convert your wavs and then save & transfer to a floppy emulator like hxc to be loaded by the FZ, obviously restricted by memory, that works quite well if you are planning ahead or have specific libraries in mind, but it is only dealing with the raw sample, once edited on the FZ, you will have to resave with edits/banks.

At that point the most direct route is just sampling into the Casio's inputs

So it can be done, but not straight forward.....Best of Luck

ps this project was around for a while not sure if it's happening

and this shows pc transfer with fzedit [sampler specific software]

resetlfo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by resetlfo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 am

jbuonacc wrote:are you asking about software that can do this, or how to get it working with the FZ-1? couldn't have been too hard to figure out, i didn't even have a manual for it (used Steinberg 'Avalon' at the time).

the free C6 software from Elektron (for the MD-UW) should work as well, i used that with an E-mu e4X years back.
Yes I was asking a software , new or old .

I have problem in the workflow with samplers which cannot audio input monitor before you sampling.

I truly love the FZ , sick sounding , but sampling process a bit tiring after a while .

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:39 pm

resetlfo wrote:Yes I was asking a software , new or old.
the post by reubenfinger is good info and reminds me of how little i remember about it. for example, i couldn't have been trying to send it wav files from the Atari, but sounds that were generated by the 'Avalon' software itself. i don't remember what i had to do on the FZ itself, if anything. your post reminds me that i don't even remember not being able to monitor the audio when sampling. it at least shows the input/threshold level, right?

sorry for any confusion, it's been almost twenty years since i had the FZ. of all the gear i've owned, that's one that i wish i held onto. not so much the FZ-1, but i had a like-new FZ-20M as well.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:58 pm

I also had an FZ-1 (expanded) and an Atari running Avalon and yes you could send samples back and forth over a MIDI cable, very slow but it worked.
I’m sure the MIDI implementation chart shows if it’s SDS or proprietary.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Casio FZ 1 Midi Sample Dump

Post by gruebleengourd » Mon May 18, 2020 11:18 pm

Best way to get wavs to an FZ1 is this:

Install an HxC or Gotek with the HxC firmware. Get the Awave software. Import wavs to awave and make a bank/instrument. Export to FZF file. Convert FZF to HFE.

Return to “General Gear”