Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Divinital wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:How much did the MV cost when it was released?
Around $2k then which in today's terms would be around $2.9k.
Therein lies at least a bit of the explanation. I can't help but to think it's at least in part due to Behringer and the general trend towards making something as cheap as possible in the electronic market. I can't name a groovebox over $2,000 except for the MPC X... And that's more like a DAW, maybe that's what I should buy...? JK
Roland did not market the MV8000 as a Groovebox it marketed it as a "Production Studio". This was the period when people were moving en masse ITB (because hardware was so painful) and these product lines were a last gasp response to that. It seems clear the reason that Roland has just issued its first Groovebox in ten years is a response to people wanting to work OTB again. I'm sure it's also the reason why Akai has chosen to go standalone hardware again.

I wouldn't be too concerned that you missed out on anything if I was you. It was fairly slim pickings during that time and it's a slow and sometimes failure prone process working with mechanical storage devices with limited capacity. You had to forego either having a full-time job or sleep if you wanted to build and use a large sample library. I wouldn't worry too much about plastic either. Roland's Grooveboxes were always priced lower and made of similar materials as your 707. I have a Roland MX-1 which is the same kind of build and I'm not concerned about its robustness. A lot of the old stuff was very heavy and a pain to cart around. Now is better than ever in my opinion. There is almost too much gear to choose from. It's really a natural evolution. Hardware moved to software because of the sheer power and ease of use, now hardware has the computing power to enable the tactile joy of using machines.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:48 am

looked at MV-8800 specs.
48 x 48 x 13,5 cm, 9 kg.
definitely not a box i would tour with, especially if i'm not a superstar, and especially in 2019 (and low cost airlines will only cut down allowed luggage sizes more and more).

on the other hand, 707 was instant (almost impulse) purchase for me, because it's only 2.1 kg, fits basically any DJ backpack, and can be a single box on stage that does it all.
that UFO behind me is real

scttcmpbll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scttcmpbll » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Curious if any MC-707 owner have also owned a JV-2080 (or 1080). Thinking about selling my 2080 if I can get the same sounds on the 707

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:35 am

scttcmpbll wrote:Curious if any MC-707 owner have also owned a JV-2080 (or 1080). Thinking about selling my 2080 if I can get the same sounds on the 707
I don't have either but I do have an Integra-7. There is a lot of discussion on forums about the sounds of Roland's romplers varying because they changed the technology and design approach over time. Don Solaris has an interesting discussion on this http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404

The Integra-7 has so many sounds and the ability to change those sounds I find it really hard to imagine there is a particular tonal quality that would prevent you from getting the sonic outcome a JV synth gave you. In the mix, you just wouldn't know.

Pretty sure you will get every sound you will ever need but JV-2080 sounds might not sound exactly the same as the JV-2080 especially because Roland has used its new ZEN-Core chip for the MC-707.

gminorcoles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gminorcoles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:41 am

chaocrator wrote:looked at MV-8800 specs.
48 x 48 x 13,5 cm, 9 kg.
definitely not a box i would tour with, especially if i'm not a superstar, and especially in 2019 (and low cost airlines will only cut down allowed luggage sizes more and more).

on the other hand, 707 was instant (almost impulse) purchase for me, because it's only 2.1 kg, fits basically any DJ backpack, and can be a single box on stage that does it all.
it's not the form factor that makes the MV its the features

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:12 am

chaocrator wrote:looked at MV-8800 specs.
48 x 48 x 13,5 cm, 9 kg.

Yeah, it's monstrous. Also painfully slow on certain processing tasks. Overall it is/was a huge bang for the buck though. Really powerful and flexible machine.

castano
Learning to Wiggle

Post by castano » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi is Anyone Having issues Exporting Samples to SD Card?
I am using vers. 1.20
It saves projects, but not Samples
I can't seem to make them save onto the Card
it shows exporting
Using The Func + Enter in Sample Edit
but does not show up in the SD Card Samples Folder
Any Help greatly appreciated :)

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 am

gminorcoles wrote:it's not the form factor that makes the MV its the features
absolutely agree.

but „MC-707 vs MV-8800“ discussion somehow happens in a topic about 707 on every forum, be it GS, elektronauts, MW, etc, and some people say „what Roland should make / what everyone actually wants is new 8800 instead of 707“.

hell no, one is not a replacement for another. they are both great machines, but of very different kind — that's what i mean.

in particular, form factor is critical for live-oriented musicians (like me).

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Post by slumberjack » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:50 pm

sorry for sounding like prick a few post above. i had a slight drift in my peace settings lately thanks for showing me that.
please have all fun with your box and make music you really like with it.

one love!

Basterdman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Basterdman » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:47 pm

I am happy to see they are listening and acting on user feedback fairly quickly. Gives me hope for future updates

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:37 am

So people still liking their mc707s ?

I considered one, and although it has easy sampling now and the zen engine, I just wonder if the rompler samples are still that useable ? Even if you can do a lot with them.

I’m assuming they’re not multi samples on the rompler side ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

scttcmpbll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by scttcmpbll » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:19 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:37 am
So people still liking their mc707s ?

I considered one, and although it has easy sampling now and the zen engine, I just wonder if the rompler samples are still that useable ? Even if you can do a lot with them.

I’m assuming they’re not multi samples on the rompler side ?
I'm really liking mine. I typically use my own samples but the onboard PCM samples are definitely usable with some tweaking, and there's a lot of tweaking to be had. The synth engine is extremely deep

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:12 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
So people still liking their mc707s?
no. loving, not liking! this thing stopped my GAS, since i'm satisfied with it.

TBH, it's a bit insufficient as a single machine, but once paired with something else, it's just excellent.
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I just wonder if the rompler samples are still that useable ? Even if you can do a lot with them.
regarding this technology … E-Mu P2000 series machines are still perfectly usable, and ROMs price never drops.
ZEN-Core engine is significantly more capable and does not limit one to ROM waveforms.

Sancho Pantches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sancho Pantches » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:19 am

Hi,
I have MC-707 and I hear noticeable flaming between to tracks (say 1 kick and the track 4 or 5 that plays hats, snare)
It is very random.
Also if i move 2 or more faders fast (the whole pattern skips very noticeable) .
And lastly from time to time some control knobs reset or change their values if I move the 92-3) faders really fast.
Is that normal? Does it happens to anybody?

Kind regards

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:30 am

Is it possible to change the colour of all the knobs and sliders on the MC? Personally can’t stand the mint green... would love monochromatic layout

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:28 am

chorus7 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:30 am
Is it possible to change the colour of all the knobs and sliders on the MC?
yes, they are all configurable.
you can reassign colors per track somewhere in Track settings.

but i suspect that it's kept somewhere in project settings, so keeping your custom color layout may require making an empty default project with your settings (it's useful for a number of things anyway).

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 am

chaocrator wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:28 am
chorus7 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:30 am
Is it possible to change the colour of all the knobs and sliders on the MC?
yes, they are all configurable.
you can reassign colors per track somewhere in Track settings.

but i suspect that it's kept somewhere in project settings, so keeping your custom color layout may require making an empty default project with your settings (it's useful for a number of things anyway).
Thanks for the info :hail: ... But what about the start/stop and value knob?

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am

chorus7 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:22 am
But what about the start/stop and value knob?
no way, at least at the moment. and i strongly suspect they have only green LEDs behind.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Sancho Pantches wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:19 am
Hi,
I have MC-707 and I hear noticeable flaming between to tracks (say 1 kick and the track 4 or 5 that plays hats, snare)
It is very random.
Also if i move 2 or more faders fast (the whole pattern skips very noticeable) .
And lastly from time to time some control knobs reset or change their values if I move the 92-3) faders really fast.
Is that normal? Does it happens to anybody?

Kind regards
wow, this is terrible news...any other report of this problems? are you running the last firmware?
I'm still having nightmares with the ensoniq asx-x's sequencer skipping, and this was in 1998 :hihi:

Sancho Pantches
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sancho Pantches » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 am

Well, after some research here and GS, apparently it is related to the polyphony.
And as a sugar on the top, when synced to midi (tr-8s) it drifts out of sync even more.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Sancho Pantches wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:16 am
Well, after some research here and GS, apparently it is related to the polyphony.
And as a sugar on the top, when synced to midi (tr-8s) it drifts out of sync even more.
:deadbanana:

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Stupid question but when editing a synth parameter can the knob turns be fine and course? Like Elektron where you press and turn to cover more range?

Return to “General Gear”