Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Re: Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Post by Fentune » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:54 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 am
I love this box so far , but is there anyway you can shorten the length of a drum when layering ?
I think even the Mpcs don’t have this , annoying when you want a certain sound as a transient.
MPCs can shorten or lengthen samples, layer by layer- the level of editing is much deeper than the 707.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am

Am I right in thinking a note can only be a maximum length of 16 steps ? I have a 32 bar pattern and want a chord to last that long, but it mutes after 16 ?

Edit: Never mind it was a cord and there was another chord in the way.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Well in other news 1.50 is out.

I swear I couldn’t do this on an MPC I had, think is was the 500. Oh well sucks you can’t do it, but I guess I can load my fav samples for doing this. At least you can edit start points etc.
Maybe it was eq per level, I guess that’s not a problem on the new ones given you can have FX per level.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:46 am

So I think I get the t1 to t4, it just didn’t behave in the way I was expecting. I guess t1-2 is attack 2-3 is decay etc and the levels are just offsets of the main envelope amount?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:44 am

This is a nice tutorial of this dude using xmod to get some crispy breaks. Hadn’t thought to do this.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:17 pm

How has everyone been getting on with theirs? I have been spending more time with the 707, getting the hang of it. I really enjoy certain parts of this box: the sequencer, FX, sampling. and routing/mixing options. I find myself reaching for the synth engine as part of my preference of making something from scratch and getting frustrated with it. I feel like it takes a lot of work to make it sound good, it kind of reminds me of downsides of creating sounds on a computer, but not as fast or easy. I can't tell if I just haven't spent enough time with the synth engine to get the hang of programming it, or if I just don't like the sound of it...or both :bang: Although I find the preset built-in sounds are good, as do the drum sounds.

I wonder if I should just think of this thing more like a sampler with some built-in sounds and not bother with the synth engine otherwise.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:13 pm

Personally I like the synth engine , even more so knowing you can use Zenology and export to the 707.

For me it’s about the sampler and fx though. The scatter function is excellent on this , you can make it subtle and you get two extra banks of fx, you can also save the scatter sequence and design and export to projects. I’ve been doing tape stops and warped pitched down drums.

In fact scatter is my fav bit at the moment, for me it’s been worth it just to use as a beats mangling machine.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by anselmi » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:45 pm

...nothing...delete

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:07 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:13 pm
Personally I like the synth engine , even more so knowing you can use Zenology and export to the 707.

For me it’s about the sampler and fx though. The scatter function is excellent on this , you can make it subtle and you get two extra banks of fx, you can also save the scatter sequence and design and export to projects. I’ve been doing tape stops and warped pitched down drums.

In fact scatter is my fav bit at the moment, for me it’s been worth it just to use as a beats mangling machine.
Good points, the scatter component makes me no longer regret selling my TR-8 or Scooper module, this is the most versatile version of scatter yet.

Regarding Zenology, are you using it to create your patches instead of the 707?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Not yet , but I will be , not that it’s terrible on the 707, just way easier in Zenology. But then you need at least the pro subscription to use it. So I’ll probably dip in and out of Roland cloud as and when I need to.
But for me it’s really more of a beat machine.

RichMakeGame
Common Wiggler

Post by RichMakeGame » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 pm

has anyone tested if the 707 has class compliant usb midi? I can't find a concrete answer anywhere, thanks

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:49 pm

Pretty sure it doesn’t other wise we would of seen people recording into their iPads by now

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 pm

They have Mac OS drivers so that is a possible indicator it doesn't.

RichMakeGame
Common Wiggler

Post by RichMakeGame » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:05 am

A few posts in this thread seemed to suggest it might be partially audio (main mix only) and midi compliant but no 8 track audio https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... es-73.html

Was hoping someone had tried it, would feel better about pulling the trigger

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:10 pm

RichMakeGame wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:05 am
A few posts in this thread seemed to suggest it might be partially audio (main mix only) and midi compliant but no 8 track audio https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... es-73.html

Was hoping someone had tried it, would feel better about pulling the trigger
Won’t be home till Tuesday but I can have a look then for you.

RichMakeGame
Common Wiggler

Post by RichMakeGame » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:25 am

Ah thanks very much!

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am

RichMakeGame wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 pm
has anyone tested if the 707 has class compliant usb midi? I can't find a concrete answer anywhere, thanks
Sadly, I can't get my iPad to recognise it either as an audio or midi interface, so the answer is probably no.

That said, the MC707 has far, far exceeded my expectations in every other regard. It has quite literally the worst presets I have ever heard, but the depth you can go into with the internal synth engine is mind-blowing. I've just knocked up a Just-intonation electric guitar sound with overlapping colours of feedback that sounds straight off a Sunn 0))) album. Beautiful.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Devilwidget wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am
That said, the MC707 has far, far exceeded my expectations in every other regard. It has quite literally the worst presets I have ever heard, but the depth you can go into with the internal synth engine is mind-blowing. I've just knocked up a Just-intonation electric guitar sound with overlapping colours of feedback that sounds straight off a Sunn 0))) album. Beautiful.
Looks to be the opposite experience from me, seems like a lot of people do like the presets. As I said earlier, I struggle to get a patch to sound good from scratch. Care to elaborate any patching tips?

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Devilwidget wrote:
I've just knocked up a Just-intonation electric guitar sound with overlapping colours of feedback that sounds straight off a Sunn 0))) album. Beautiful.
Ooh, would love to hear that.

RichMakeGame
Common Wiggler

Post by RichMakeGame » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Devilwidget wrote:
RichMakeGame wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:24 pm
Sadly, I can't get my iPad to recognise it either as an audio or midi interface, so the answer is probably no.

ah well, can't win em all, thanks for giving it a go. I'd also love to hear any sounds you've made

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:20 am

TheRosskonian wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pm
Devilwidget wrote:
Looks to be the opposite experience from me, seems like a lot of people do like the presets. As I said earlier, I struggle to get a patch to sound good from scratch. Care to elaborate any patching tips?
Have you watched all three of the Roland cloud academy videos? There are some of the best tutorial videos out there. Main things that I found useful was the secondary filter menu (where you can change the filter type), switching between 'easy' and 'partial' editing (so you can treat each vco of you're sound differently, and using the lfo/modulation designer. Also, the master fx of each instrument is important - much like 'classic' Roland gear, the relationship between the (extensive) fx and the main source is integral. I'll try to post something later.

TheRosskonian
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheRosskonian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:42 am

Devilwidget wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:20 am
TheRosskonian wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pm
Devilwidget wrote:
Have you watched all three of the Roland cloud academy videos? There are some of the best tutorial videos out there. Main things that I found useful was the secondary filter menu (where you can change the filter type), switching between 'easy' and 'partial' editing (so you can treat each vco of you're sound differently, and using the lfo/modulation designer. Also, the master fx of each instrument is important - much like 'classic' Roland gear, the relationship between the (extensive) fx and the main source is integral. I'll try to post something later.
You mean the videos I linked below? Yea, they were pretty informative about getting around the system. I suppose your info on patching is my initial complaint, that it takes a lot of work to get a patch sounding good, needing to utilize the partial mode and FX. But, I am almost whining at this point and it is certainly not causing me to want to part with the MC-707. Thank you for sharing what you have though. I have been treating it more like a sampler/sequencer combo and enjoying it more in that vein. I will just have to keep in mind if I reach for the synth engine, that I'll need to dedicate more time to creating a patch than I have been.

Devilwidget
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Devilwidget » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Yes, I suppose I come from a Eurorack headspace, where I WANT to put in a degree of work to get the sound I want. I'd much rather have a synth engine capable of complexity that requires work, than something easy with little depth.

RichMakeGame
Common Wiggler

Post by RichMakeGame » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:54 am

Mines just arrived, pairing it with a 1010 blackbox and it seems like a strong combo. Is there any way of setting tone pcm start/loop points? Something I haven’t been able to figure out. And using insert audio can you change input gain or is it fixed? Cheers!

RichMakeGame
Common Wiggler

Post by RichMakeGame » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Figured the first one out, I was trying to use built in samples but it only works with user samples. Still not sure about setting input gain for audio insert.

I’m liking the sound engine more and more as I play with it. I was missing wavetable tones so have been testing the ability to fade between partials. The reference manual describes how to do it in the matrix parameters section. If you try it and want to modulate the ‘pmt’ (matrix partial velocity) eg with lfo, don’t exceed depth of 32 if you want it to map correctly (imo)

Edit: also had to sacrifice a control knob to offset pmt to 63, as lfo mod is bipolar. Would like an alternative ideally.

Heres a test, sound from 4 partials with pmt modulation, no filter/fx

Return to “General Gear”