Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Post by solipsvs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:08 pm

i have one of these for sale, link in my sig

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:35 am
Don Solaris has an interesting discussion on this http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404
But don’t ask King Don any questions about it on GS because he’s a total psychopath about the JD JV series. He runs the board but needs an absolute reality check.
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by dubonaire » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 am
dubonaire wrote:
Don Solaris has an interesting discussion on this http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404
But don’t ask King Don any questions about it on GS because he’s absolute psychopath about the JD JV series. He runs the board but needs an absolute reality check.
No idea about that. I have better things to do than waste time in the GS rabbit hole.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:29 am

:bang:
dubonaire wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:18 am
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 am
dubonaire wrote:
But don’t ask King Don any questions about it on GS because he’s absolute psychopath about the JD JV series. He runs the board but needs an absolute reality check.
No idea about that. I have better things to do than waste time in the GS rabbit hole.
Same, but was literally just reading a thread about the 990 there. It turns out he spent a few weeks of his life meticulously “analyzing and studying” JD and JV waveforms to write a blog post detailing his findings. Another user pointed out that he didn’t need to do that at the time because they are listed in the predecessors owenrs manual. He’s having a low-key nervous breakdown about it, banning users and deleting comments like the Trump of synthesis. That guy really needs to get a grip.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:31 am

Long story short he’s a massive troll.
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 pm

I had no idea. I do visit the High End subforum from time to time because although it can get into "more air in the highs" territory it stays reasonably civil and there is some good information, particularly because outboard is where I'll probably spend money from now on.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:38 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 pm
I had no idea. I do visit the High End subforum from time to time because although it can get into "more air in the highs" territory it stays reasonably civil and there is some good information, particularly because outboard is where I'll probably spend money from now on.
there are plenty of really knowledgeable users there and plenty with good intentions, but it’s annoying that the person who runs the place is a bit of an egomaniac and can’t take criticism or having anyone second guess him. the vibe here is much better, but doesnt always have as much traction outside of the modular section so sometimes I have wade the waters there too.
TOO FAR GONE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:38 pm
dubonaire wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:27 pm
there are plenty of really knowledgeable users there and plenty with good intentions, but it’s annoying that the person who runs the place is a bit of an egomaniac and can’t take criticism or having anyone second guess him. the vibe here is much better, but doesnt always have as much traction outside of the modular section so sometimes I have wade the waters there too.
I didn't know he ran it.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:57 pm

truth
TOO FAR GONE

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:47 pm

I've bought a 707, should be coming soon.

Not quite sure what hole it's going to fill as on paper it could lend itself a few ways, but the ability to take audio in and use it as a mixer appeals.

So will likely use it as a kind of sketchpad, with the option to sequence some hardware and bring the hardware into the mix.

I've also been hankering after a sampler and some more fun boxes. So this seems to be like a sampler, mixer w' FX, portable sketch pad and sequencer without truly being great at any but good enough to be worth a go.

Bottom line is, if it doesn't boost me actually writing music, it'll be out the door by Christmas.

Interested to hear about using MIDI CC controller with it, or anyone with experience creating patches in Zenology and importing to the 707.

That's something I'd like to look at.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Don't know whether this has been mentioned, but it appears that wave and model expansions aren't support.

Probably no supprise, as I'm not sure how they could intergrate Model Expansions, plus you can make them yourself anyway , right?
Was hoping for some more waves though, like the Piano and orchestra expansions.

Make subbing for zenology pretty pointless for me, i'm happy editing on the MC707, I kind of like the meticulousness of it.
Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 22.33.42.png
Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 22.33.55.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am

Birdcord cable confirmed working if you want to get portable!
8025C5FA-1671-4974-95AE-754BB90A27BF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:36 pm

Bought one of those cables at the same time as the unit. Looking forward to trying it out.

A bit of a bummer that that the model expansions aren't supported but the thing is hardly lacking in sounds and yeah the ability to make your own is pretty deep.

On the fence with Zenology as desktop editing does appeal, I'd see it as tweaking a patch that you'd got 80% there on the 707.

Things coming up to a year in market so looking forward to the Roland discontinued notice arriving in September.
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:01 am

I have a couple of issues with the 707, and some tickets active with Roland. I'm interested in whether other owners have encountered these, and how they might have worked around them (or if I'm just missing something).

First up is the sample & hold LFO, which is just a static wave - fine as long as it's free running, but if you set it to reset on keypress then it restarts every time - so if you have it on a low speed, it's easy to hear that there's a regular pattern being used. This is obviously a design decision by Roland, but I find it baffling - it means I can't use the Zen Core engine to, for example, vary the filter cutoff reliably on every note, outside of a synced grid. I appreciate the 707 is a groovebox and therefore geared towards synced patterns, but since Roland are touting it as a Zen Core device, I'm surprised at this choice. I use key-reset S&H regularly in patches, and (as far as I can tell) I can't do it here. Is this also true if you're using Zen Core on a Jupiter X, for example?

Second, clip chaining - a brilliant feature in principle, having eight chains that can all have their independent timing. I was really keen to dig into this, but when I chain clips, a new clip will completely cut off the sounds from the previous one (like synth notes with a long decay). It only does this while chaining, not when you manually change clips. This makes the feature unusable, and I'm surprised I've not seen it mentioned in any videos about the 707 updates. I have had it confirmed by a couple of other users, so I don't think it's just me (and I can't find any setting that might affect it). I've got a ticket open with Roland (at least I think it's still open) - they couldn't replicate it, so I sent them an example as a project file and am waiting to hear back on that.

If other owners could check this on 1.50, it'd be nice to know it's universal. You can test it easily by putting a long ride cymbal on step 16 of clip 1, and chaining that to an empty pattern on clip 2. The sound should cut off abruptly when clip 2 starts (but only in a chain).

Finally, I've noticed that step-locking the filter cutoff doesn't work as expected, because the note plays before the value is changed. This is easily tested by having a synth sound with a bright open cutoff, and then locking a step to a very low cutoff. On my device, the open filter sound will be heard for an instant, and then the low cutoff will kick in. Pitch locks are instant, but filter ones just sound bad because of this issue. I haven't reported this one yet, but once again I can't find any workaround on the device.

These are all disappointments for me, but I appreciate that Roland have been updating the 707 significantly and some bugs are inevitable in that situation, so I'm hopeful that they'll be fixed (except maybe the LFO, which is a design flaw rather than a bug). If anyone's encountered these and conquered them, or just wants to confirm they're also affected, please chip in. I will add that otherwise I think this is a great device with a lot of potential - it's just that the potential makes the drawbacks even more frustrating.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:55 pm

The biggest bug for me is how long it takes to save now tbh , that’s the killer right now.
They seriously need to fix that, such a buzz kill.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:37 pm

Got my case together now. I have the iPad running from a send at the reverb point with reverb set to no algo. Then I can just use and automate the ‘fx’ encoders on the 707 as send amounts to iPad.

Running fine with most things , a few plugins have a tiny bit of latency , but most don’t seem to.
Everything fits in the case just about , bit of a squash but I didn’t want it to be any bigger. Using one of those light weight magma cases, not very sturdy , but enough for light travel.
DB352750-C311-4C84-8DB4-D343F36E1E28.jpeg

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:55 pm
The biggest bug for me is how long it takes to save now tbh , that’s the killer right now.
They seriously need to fix that, such a buzz kill.
Yeah, as part of the support call re. the clip chains I created a project file demonstrating the problem. It used the standard default setup of one drum track and one tone, and contained a total of two notes. It took the usual age to save, and the final file came in at 8mb. I don't know what that's about, but I assume there's some kind of format conversion going on that the 707 CPU struggles with. If you could save while a pattern was playing, that might make sense - focus on keeping the sound playing, and background the saving process. But you have to stop the pattern to save, so...

It's one of the most common complaints, so hopefully they're looking at it.

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:27 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:37 pm
woah....swish!

is that a reloop stand holding the ipad?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 am

magnetize wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:27 am
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:37 pm
woah....swish!

is that a reloop stand holding the ipad?
It’s an Odyssey USA stand
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/odyssey ... 749659-01/

I didn’t pay that though, Juno are pretty good on price if you ask.

Need a controller still , but not that bothered at the moment. Either a Faderfox EC4 or a Midi fighter twister should do.

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:55 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:50 am
It’s an Odyssey USA stand
https://www.juno.co.uk/products/odyssey ... 749659-01/

I didn’t pay that though, Juno are pretty good on price if you ask.
that is spendy for a stand!
you haggled them down d'ya mean?

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Indeed, but they just let you submit an offer, I just offered 50 and that was fine.

As an aside the Motu failed after 6 days , never had confidence in the screen tbh, and then it started breaking up the animation and then would just go white after 3 mins.
Weird screen , very thin plate, not an lcd , at least one I’ve ever used.

Not nearly as nice form factor , but I just wanted one that was solid , so I use this now , can recommend it’s very sturdy pot wise and no screen.

Oh and of course it goes to 11!
08927A17-2DD7-4302-AA68-16E54C23160C.jpeg

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Q - has anyone been using MC-707 with a modular MIDI-> CV/Gate converters?
What can be sent apart from the basic note parameters translating to gate/CV pitch?
Can it do additional CV per track? Maybe sending the LFO, Envelopes, or sequences?
For example, can you record knob motion movements and send it via MIDI? That'd be a cool MIDI-CV Knob recorder.
Has the sequencer in MC-707 replaced any other sequencers in euro for you, e.g. Beatstep Pro (hate lack of unquantised recording on it)?
Cheers

3lbFlax
Common Wiggler

Post by 3lbFlax » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:23 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:34 pm
Q - has anyone been using MC-707 with a modular MIDI-> CV/Gate converters?
What can be sent apart from the basic note parameters translating to gate/CV pitch?
Can it do additional CV per track? Maybe sending the LFO, Envelopes, or sequences?
For example, can you record knob motion movements and send it via MIDI? That'd be a cool MIDI-CV Knob recorder.
Has the sequencer in MC-707 replaced any other sequencers in euro for you, e.g. Beatstep Pro (hate lack of unquantised recording on it)?
Cheers
I haven't tried the 707 directly with a CV converter, but I believe you'll be limited to velocity and the three control knobs of the selected channel - the MIDI implementation chart lists these as CC 80, 81 and 82 (and also 83, but this is the fourth knob on the MC-101 - I'm not sure if / how you can use this on the 707). The knobs can be recorded as continuous automation or locked per step. So as long as your converter can access those CC values, you should be able to use the 707 this way.

Return to “General Gear”