Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:54 am

[video][/video]

I'd been asked to do a video on the 101 sequencing external hardware so I used the Analogue Solutions Impulse Command and it works perfect :)

Neo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Panason wrote:Grooveboxes were never meant to be like Ableton.... they are for laying down tracks from scratch, not DJing or doing remixes. The sample capability is so that you can incorporate short samples in your tracks such as drum hits and short musical phrases...
This is my point really.. since when are groove boxes meant to be anything? Surely the idea of making new stuff is to move beyond existing paradigms and open new opportunities for the way that music is made and indeed the kind of music that *can* be made. Otherwise why bother? And when the technology to do exactly that is abundantly available it just seems sad that a giant like Roland is trotting out gear that doesn't provide anything new. Is the faster load time the only reason to get an MC-707 over say an MC-505 from 20 years ago?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Neo wrote:
Panason wrote:Grooveboxes were never meant to be like Ableton.... they are for laying down tracks from scratch, not DJing or doing remixes. The sample capability is so that you can incorporate short samples in your tracks such as drum hits and short musical phrases...
This is my point really.. since when are groove boxes meant to be anything? Surely the idea of making new stuff is to move beyond existing paradigms and open new opportunities for the way that music is made and indeed the kind of music that *can* be made. Otherwise why bother? And when the technology to do exactly that is abundantly available it just seems sad that a giant like Roland is trotting out gear that doesn't provide anything new. Is the faster load time the only reason to get an MC-707 over say an MC-505 from 20 years ago?
Roland has intended grooveboxes to mean something since Roland invented the term in 1996 with the MC-303. The MC-707 is really more like an update of the MC-909 and MC-808 as they had channel faders. The MC-909 probably had the best front panel. I think Roland will probably argue that the sound engine is better in the MC-707 and that it offers 128 voice polyphony. For a long time Roland has been offering PCM synthesis and this is using its latest incarnation which it's calling Zen Core synthesis. If Roland was intending to offer something radically new with this it would be a fail, but it's not pretending to offer anything radically new so I'm not sure about your point. I can imagine a lot of people will just use the 3,000 preset tones and 80 drum kits.

Not knocking the Deluge but it has a very different interface (ie it's a piano roll) and the interface means a lot to people.

I bet Roland will sell a lot of these, and that after all is what Roland is in business to do. If that bugs you just look elsewhere. I think people buy Roland's products because they are priced reasonably, are readily available, relatively easy to operate, don't have too many bugs and they don't fail much, even after a long time. I don't think people are looking to be Morton Subotnick with Roland, although they probably could make that kind of music. If that's not your cup of tea all good.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 pm

dubonaire wrote:Not knocking the Deluge but it has a very different interface (ie it's a piano roll) and the interface means a lot to people.
I really don´t understand how people like this interface :hmm:
yes, for the sequencer it´s OK, but sound editing and real time parameter control is really awful...but it seems to be a lot of fans... :despair:

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 am

Neo wrote:Is the faster load time the only reason to get an MC-707 over say an MC-505 from 20 years ago?
yes. even if you don't see much difference between 505 and 707, there are still at least two important reasons.

1) 505 sounds :hihi:
307 and then D2 had less of important features, but much more usable sounds.
that's the main reason why i did not buy neither 505 nor 307/D2 — for just one stereo out and just one MIDI out (like in 307), i already had RM1x, and for 3 stereo outs and 2 MIDI outs (like in 505), Command Stations offer much better sounds & a lot of other features … but they are cumbersome and heavy, and here comes the reason №2.

2) people using grooveboxes in their studios always totally forget about weight & size. but for people who use grooveboxes for their intended purposes, weight, size, and durability (because 20+ years old hardware has more chances to fail) matter hugely.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:23 am

D2 is a mc 505 inside , there was a software editor that accessed all the 505 functions I seem to remember.

However the D2 sounded pretty shite to me , so maybe the converters where cheaper ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:D2 is a mc 505 inside , there was a software editor that accessed all the 505 functions I seem to remember.
same engine, more sounds.
(pretty much of them are common with 505)
that UFO behind me is real

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:06 am

[video][/video]

In this one I sequenced all 4 101 channels from the Akai Force, they go well together and the setup was straight forward. Just allocate the 4 midi channels pick a sound and away you go.

Really enjoying the 101, I haven't used my 707 much yet as I'm still getting used to the pads which are like hitting rocks!!! I think the 101 is the more intuitive of the 2 and the one I prefer for now, but I'll spend a bit more time with the 707 and adjust the pad sensitivity and take it from there.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Neo wrote: This is my point really.. since when are groove boxes meant to be anything? Surely the idea of making new stuff is to move beyond existing paradigms and open new opportunities for the way that music is made and indeed the kind of music that *can* be made. Otherwise why bother? And when the technology to do exactly that is abundantly available it just seems sad that a giant like Roland is trotting out gear that doesn't provide anything new. Is the faster load time the only reason to get an MC-707 over say an MC-505 from 20 years ago?
Yeah I agree Roland aren't doing anything really new or interesting and haven't for a long time but Ableton is gettin pretty old now too... neither the x0x 4 bar looping patterns or the looping clips approach are conducive to composing anything but the simplest stuff but simple works for a lot of people :despair:
I thought the TR8S looked reasonably progressive for Roland with its performance options and sounds better than certain analog machines I could mention.

They might add a token euclidean rythm generator in a couple more years :razz:

I ' d like to see machines offering simultaneous 4-track sequence editing and more focused on linear arrangement with various looping and time / playhead manipulation options, chord arrangers, phrase sequencers etc.... a combo of large touch screen with real buttons and knobs would be optimal. I think most innovation is now in software.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:59 pm

I’ve had a lot of positive results using the MC-505 and MC-909 in the past. Both had their pros and cons, but I was able to get a lot of mileage out of both. Personally, I always end up doing more with less and am definitely going to at least take the time and try one out. The only reason I parted with my 909 was that up way too much tabletop space for me. The footprint this leaves looks small enough to add to the mix.
TOO FAR GONE

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:49 am

[video][/video]

I've had the 707 for over a week now and this is the first song I've done on it. I finally came to terms with the brick like pads after adjusting their sensitivity.

I did this one in bed with the 707 and a set of Headphones as Mrs P was complaining I am always in the shed. And now she is complaining about me tapping on the pads and the tapping annoying her :hihi: :despair:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:33 am

Daisy wrote:I did this one in bed with the 707 and a set of Headphones as Mrs P was complaining I am always in the shed. And now she is complaining about me tapping on the pads and the tapping annoying her :hihi: :despair:
Props to your wife.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:55 am

dubonaire wrote:
Daisy wrote:I did this one in bed with the 707 and a set of Headphones as Mrs P was complaining I am always in the shed. And now she is complaining about me tapping on the pads and the tapping annoying her :hihi: :despair:
Props to your wife.
You clearly haven't been exposed to Love Island, Made in Chelsea, Or The only way is Essex at bedtime, otherwise you wouldn't have gave that answer :hihi:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:33 am

The only way is Essex
laaavley. Romford in particular is charming on a Saturday night.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Moderator edit: personal attack. Don't do it.

miminashi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miminashi » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:42 pm

/thread for me :ripbanana:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Good idea, I’ve done the same for Daisy.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Likely will sound like a stupid question but how many toraiz owners here might of bought this instead it was out then?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:13 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:Likely will sound like a stupid question but how many toraiz owners here might of bought this instead it was out then?
No I don't think it's a stupid question. I really like the SP-16 it's just great to use despite its limitations. SP-16 has twice as many tracks as the 707, 8 tracks is not many. The user interface on the SP-16 is great and it sounds awesome. It has individual outs. I was an early adopter so obviously disappointed they didn't follow the upgrade path they first published.

The 707 is another version of the history of Roland in a box. I already have that with an Integra 7 but it needs a sequencer and it is fussy to use in a live setting. I have a few Boutiques as well. The FX on the 707 are impressive but they have hobbled those a bit with the interface. The 707 is tempting but I'm not sure I will get it.
Last edited by dubonaire on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:21 pm

dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:Likely will sound like a stupid question but how many toraiz owners here might of bought this instead it was out then?
No I don't think it's a stupid question. I really like the SP-16 it's just great to use despite its limitations. SP-16 has twice as many tracks as the 707, 8 tracks is not many. The user interface on the SP-16 is great and it sounds awesome. It has individual outs. I was an early adopter so obviously disappointed they didn't follow the upgrade path they first published.

The 707 is another version of the history of Roland in a box. I already have that with an Integra 7 but it needs a sequencer and it is fussy to use in a live setting. The 707 is tempting but I'm not sure I will get it.
Well fortunately your opinion encourages me to spend less money.

But with that said I’m not interested in live: would that change your opinion any?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:38 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

The 707 is another version of the history of Roland in a box. I already have that with an Integra 7 but it needs a sequencer and it is fussy to use in a live setting. The 707 is tempting but I'm not sure I will get it.
Well fortunately your opinion encourages me to spend less money.
But with that said I’m not interested in live: would that change your opinion any?
No. But I don’t know if that speaks for the instrument or just me. I haven’t sat in front of a 707. I think the SP-16 has some kind of mojo. I find it easy to make tracks that sound better than when I track into a DAW. And it’s a nice machine to sit in front of. It really thwacks.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:23 am

From Essex to Utaaaah, all aboard the Ignore list! ( if you'd like to be added , PM me :razz: )
Likely will sound like a stupid question but how many toraiz owners here might of bought this instead it was out then?
Not me- I laughed at the Toraiz when I first saw it and continued to walk past it in my local shop for months until eventually I checked it out with some headphones. Without that stereo analog filter and drive (mainly the latter) I doubt the sound would have impressed me enough to go for it. I was sort of thinking about a cheaper sampler just to play stems of home made tracks in a live situation but not really sure I needed one.
Once I'm Elektron-free I might add the TR8S to the setup because of its performance features, otherwise I don't need Roland's ROMpler and VA stuff. The 707's screen is an improvement over previous boxes but still not big enough for me to want to spend much time editing on.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:34 am

Panason wrote:From Essex to Utaaaah, all aboard the Ignore list! ( if you'd like to be added , PM me :razz: )
Not me- I laughed at the Toraiz when I first saw it and continued to walk past it in my local shop for months until eventually I checked it out with some headphones. Without that stereo analog filter and drive (mainly the latter) I doubt the sound would have impressed me enough to go for it. I was sort of thinking about a cheaper sampler just to play stems of home made tracks in a live situation but not really sure I needed one.
Once I'm Elektron-free I might add the TR8S to the setup because of its performance features, otherwise I don't need Roland's ROMpler and VA stuff. The 707's screen is an improvement over previous boxes but still not big enough for me to want to spend much time editing on.
One thing to note about the 707 screen is it has really bad viewing angles, in certain seating positions its barley visible at all. You nearly have to be hunched over the top of it for a clear view,

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:36 am

[video][/video]

I was playing about with the 101 this morning and wanted to try out the Vox and Piano Sounds. I think they sound really good.

I know on the internet generalyl its the in thing to find fault, complain, but amongst that negativity some people actually buy the gear talked about and use it.

So for this one I wanted to give an example of using the 101 outside of it's marketing spell as a "Groove box" and show it can do anything you want, and be fun to use.

Anyway I enjoy using it and feel pretty positive about having something so small you can carry about and do pretty much what ever you want with (and I'm referring to the 101 not my penis) :hihi:

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 am

After reading the manual front to back it’s a hard pass for me. Interested in the synth engine though.

If it can’t see user folders, does it at least let you reference the samples somehow , I don’t remember reading you could ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Return to “General Gear”