Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:After reading the manual front to back it’s a hard pass for me. Interested in the synth engine though.

If it can’t see user folders, does it at least let you reference the samples somehow , I don’t remember reading you could ?
The samples as we know are kept in one folder, they are treated the same as the presets, alphabetical order, so all you have to do is name your sample, hard thing to do for some I guess.

Here's the thing, between here and gearslutz there are a number of individuals who thrive on whinging about anything. Now I will accept Muffwiggler has calmed down recently and there has been less of that. Though there are a couple of individuals and we all know who they are that talk shite.

Its a fuckimg folder called sample, give your sample an appropriate name in an alphabetical sense, and its just the same as the inbuilt preset folder.

But then again why do something simple when you can whinge about it.

This thread hasn't been too bad, the usual whingers have whinged but it hasn't been derailed. Look at the Gearslutz thread on the 101 and 707, I've never read worse :hihi:

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:40 pm

I didn’t realise I was so upset about it, thanks for filling me in ;)
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 pm

how about audio recorded into the looper? is that all neatly saved with the project? or does it start getting really messy with more and more projects?

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:20 am

and another quick question about monitoring, in the manual it says that when recording into the looper, audio playback from the clip is off. Does this mean that you can't hear the incoming audio while it is recording?

this can't be right but that's sort if the way its written.

I assume that with an empty clip, monitoring of external source is on, stays on during recording and then automatically switches to off when the recorded loop starts playing (or when an empty clip gets selected).

^ is this how it works?

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:56 am

pix wrote:and another quick question about monitoring, in the manual it says that when recording into the looper, audio playback from the clip is off. Does this mean that you can't hear the incoming audio while it is recording?

this can't be right but that's sort if the way its written.

I assume that with an empty clip, monitoring of external source is on, stays on during recording and then automatically switches to off when the recorded loop starts playing (or when an empty clip gets selected).

^ is this how it works?
I haven't tried live recording into the 707 yet, the samples I used for the 101 I preprepared in logic by using a beat monitor to get the correct tempo. Then use logics smart audio input which aligns the audio to the bar for straight forward loop creation. Then I used Izotope RX7 to extract the vocal so I essentially had 2 tracks 1 vocal and 1 instrumental.

I then created 4 and 8 bar loops of both audio and vocal that would work together, used Izotope OZone to enhance the vocal and then again on the master output to correct the levels before bouncing out the individual samples. Which I gave an appropriate name to so I could easily locate and load then from the sample folder.

It sounds a bit long winded when reading that back but its a pretty speedy process as I've done it quite a few times and you get a good quality of sample that play in time together with out any weird level issues.

I'll try live sampling on the 707 at some point over the next couple of days but to be honest I prefer working the way I have described above rather than go for a hit or miss live sample session. For that little bit of extra effort things sound better and are tighter.

I'm sure others may work different to the way I do and might be able to give a better insight into what works for them with the live sampling but for me its not really an essential feature :)

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:15 am

if you record via usb you should(?) get a lossless recording.

so you can sync the two and just capture that on the fly instead of bouncing, transferring etc

what I'm interested is in recording loops from the modular (midi sync'ed or with click track as clock if it works)

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:46 am

someone on GS reported that 707 works on Linux as a stereo audio interface. without any vendor-specific drivers.
so, must be class compliant and should also work with iOS.
that UFO behind me is real

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 am

Here's one of the tiny MC-101 sequencing a Polymath while providing percussion, sound fx and accompaniment.

It's inspired by a style of music I heard while in a Taxi in Egypt with a drugged up Taxi Driver at the wheel :hihi:

[video][/video]

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:12 am

[video][/video]

Did this one to show a few useful sequencer features of the 101 :tu:

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:07 am

[video][/video]

Been away for the week but brought along a portable studio :tu:

This one was made with stock 101 sounds but I also made use of the sound per clip feature to switch between choir, horns and strings.

Then played in multiple layers on the 101's pads.

And uploaded via an iphone hotspot as I'm in HillBilly land with no internet :hihi: :tu:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am

Someone else on GS reported that the S&H LFO on the 101 (and maybe the 707) is fake, it's a static wave that loops. :yay:

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 am

Panason wrote:Someone else on GS reported that the S&H LFO on the 101 (and maybe the 707) is fake, it's a static wave that loops. :yay:
It certainly has been discussed in a very "special" way by one or two individuals :hihi:

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:36 pm

The 707 is a fantastic box for me. If you come from a background where you play an instrument or DJ and like live performance arrangements, this is a power house. Very, very deep editing capabilities. If you can’t generate movement with this thing, it’s not the LFO’s fault. :hihi:

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:31 pm

just reported on GS and repeating here:

i tested whether 707 records CC messages from MIDI In.
it does not. even CC 80, 81, 82 that are recordable from Filter / Mod / FX knobs.
at the same time, 707 record notes from MIDI In as expected and reacts to incoming CC messages as expected.

so, i found utter excuse for pairing 707 with Pyramid :hihi:

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:35 pm

[video][/video]

Put the Space on the Prophet Xl to use :mrgreen:

The Mc-101 is doing Percussion, Strings and Arp and Sequencing the XL

Didn't sound out of place either and help its own :tu:

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:01 am

[video][/video]

10 Useful Tips for The MC-101

Accompanying tracks are by the AS Leipzig SK and AS Fusebox played live.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:13 am

I was talking to someone on Youtube this morning about sampling via USB on the 101.

Afterwards I had a play about with my Mac and the 101 to try it out as it should be possible according to the manual, though saying that sometimes the manual can mislead!!! :doh:

Anyway I made a video of the initial setup to sample via USB, this works in your DAW as well as outside for sampling the likes off Youtube or any other audio sources.

The DAW is set-up as Master Clock and sends a Stop/Start to the 101. That way when you are setup to sample you can set a predefined length in the 101 loop track and get a clean synced up loop with no after editing (which you can't do on the 101 :hihi: )

Anyway here's my findings on how you need to setup to be able to sample.

[video][/video]

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:03 am

[video][/video]

A quick guide to sampling internal tracks on the 101

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 am

[video][/video]

After doing a video in the 101 and 707 playing from each others sd card I had a further nosey to see if the 101 could play back the 707 sounds after numerous 707 sound menu tweaks. I more or less tweaked anything tweak able.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:06 pm

[video][/video]

Some Arp Goodness, manually entered arps, still no update fro easy arps :tu:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:41 pm

does the 101 reacts to CC?
is there a list of parameters that can be controlled this way?

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:48 pm

anselmi wrote:does the 101 reacts to CC?
I think it would be best described as limited when it comes to CC. And that’s being generous :despair:

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm

anselmi wrote:does the 101 reacts to CC?
yes.
the list is in MIDI Implementation chart (available for download in Support section).

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm

chaocrator wrote:
anselmi wrote:does the :hihi: 101 reacts to CC?
yes.
the list is in MIDI Implementation chart (available for download in Support :tu: :tu: section).
I’m not sure if you misread but the question is in reference to the 101 not the 707. Have a look at the 101 midi chart to see what I mean.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Well, yeah, not a zillion options but it´s OK for me...quite similar to those GS 90´s Roland implementation

I think it´s enough to cover some quick performance needs without having to dig into menus or press a lot of buttons

Lot of "portamento" ones :hmm:

1 Modulation
5 Portamento Time
7 Volume
10 Panpot
11 Expression
64 Hold 1
65 Portamento
66 Sostenuto
67 Soft
68 Legato Foot Switch
71 Resonance
72 Release Time
73 Attack time
74 Cutoff
75 Decay Time
76 Vibrato Rate
77 Vibrato Depth
78 Vibrato Delay
80 FILTER Knob
81 MOD Knob
82 FX Knob
83 SOUND Knob
84 Portamento control
91 General Purpose Effect 1 (Reverb Send Level)
92 General Purpose Effect 3 (Chorus Send Level)

Return to “General Gear”