Ninja Tunes Erica Synths Zen Delay

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Ninja Tunes Erica Synths Zen Delay

Post by racooniac » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:01 am

is no one here bothered by the phasing as a result of mixing an analogue dry with an dsp wet signal path?
i saw that in stimmings review and had a small chuckle given the price point and the claim that the designers know what they do.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 am

Let's see if they update the software for that, including the other suggestion he made about a feedback destroyer (which was more relevant to me) before we start making conclusions about the designers.

A wet dry issue would be easy to miss during testing because many, including myself, hook up these boxes to sends on a mixer and have them set fully wet.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:22 pm

Yep same I always use these fully wet.

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:08 am

racooniac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:01 am
is no one here bothered by the phasing as a result of mixing an analogue dry with an dsp wet signal path?
i saw that in stimmings review and had a small chuckle given the price point and the claim that the designers know what they do.
Isn't that exactly what's supposed to happen when you mix a slightly delayed signal with an original? Modulate the delay time and you've got a flanger. Maybe such delays exist, but none of my delays (digital or analog) have literally zero delay at minimum delay setting.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Mine has arrived. It really is a feedback machine and you can play it for constant variation. It's as good if not better than I expected it to be. I haven't encountered the feedback issue and I think you have to fairly deliberately try to make that happen.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:25 pm

What is the feedback issue again?

Love this delay and I think it has the best feedback I've ever heard in a delay. You can effortless get it to feedback really nice real early with the feedback knob half way. At that point it will keep sounding good whatever you do with the other parameters. What I mean is, you don't have to be careful like with other delays which have a much smaller margin between sounding good and breaking up screaming.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 pm

nodog wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:25 pm
What is the feedback issue again?

Love this delay and I think it has the best feedback I've ever heard in a delay. You can effortless get it to feedback really nice real early with the feedback knob half way. At that point it will keep sounding good whatever you do with the other parameters. What I mean is, you don't have to be careful like with other delays which have a much smaller margin between sounding good and breaking up screaming.
If you watch the Stimming review linked above you can see he finds settings where there is this digital runaway high pitched whine. But I think you have to be really a long way from what I think are the sweet spots to hear this.

I've just spent the most enjoyable morning in the studio for ages thanks to this delay.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:16 am

Ah, haven't watched that video yet. Will do when I've got the time.

I haven't encountered something that you describe yet. The only weird sounds I have been getting are at the vintage setting. Need to explore that a bit further but up untill now I've been mostly using the Tape setting because it sounds so satisfying I just don't want to switch to the other settings.

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Another run through here

Going to relisten on headphones as I felt there was a lot of not nice clipping.

How's the gain staging for those that have one? How does it handle modular in and back?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:35 pm

Clipping? I run mine out of a mixer and back so I just find the right gain staging. My modular goes into the mixer using an nw2s::io. Erica synths say it is designed to work with modular. If you are looking for a reason not to get this there isn't one.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 am

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 pm
I've just spent the most enjoyable morning in the studio for ages thanks to this delay.
Thanks dub, I appreciate hearing your thoughts as an owner and active user.
This is now on my GAS list.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 am

For that price, it should be using real CEM chips.

Meh,

I would rather purchase a Strymon as it gives me the exact same effect, for half the price.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

mat1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mat1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am

3hands wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 am
For that price, it should be using real CEM chips.

Meh,

I would rather purchase a Strymon as it gives me the exact same effect, for half the price.
Which Strymon?

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 pm

Sorry I should have mentioned that bit! I’m wanting the el capistan.

It sounds amazing (to my ears at least).

My minds an art gallery.

mat1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mat1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:06 pm

3hands wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 pm
Sorry I should have mentioned that bit! I’m wanting the el capistan.

It sounds amazing (to my ears at least).
Can the El Cap get that crazy? I need to buy one at some point, it's been on my list since it came out.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:44 pm

The El Cap is great but It's much tamer (I don't have the Zen, just guessing from the videos). It's a great delay, but not comparable. No Filter, no drive... it's only aimed at being an excellent tape delay, with tons of mojo. It's quite playable but it's 1/3rd of the size of the Zen so once again, not quite the same.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:16 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:28 pm

Going to relisten on headphones as I felt there was a lot of not nice clipping.

How's the gain staging for those that have one? How does it handle modular in and back?
I just quickly scrolled through that video and at times the input level led is flashing which means it would be DSP clipping. You just turn your gain down to avoid that.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:36 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:44 pm
The El Cap is great but It's much tamer (I don't have the Zen, just guessing from the videos). It's a great delay, but not comparable. No Filter, no drive... it's only aimed at being an excellent tape delay, with tons of mojo. It's quite playable but it's 1/3rd of the size of the Zen so once again, not quite the same.
Yes it is much tamer. I have the El Cap as well. Very much a digital tape delay emulator. The El Cap can be played but I tend to leave it at a particular setting and bring it in and out of the mix. The Zen Delay is much more conducive to playing as an instrument on its own. They do not sound alike at all.

Technologear? wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 am
:tu:

Whatisvalis
Common Wiggler

Post by Whatisvalis » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 pm

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
I love the sound of the El Cap mojo - was the Volante a bit of a dud?

The drive is the only thing I'm not sold on with the Zen. The delay and filter sound great and it looks super playable from an ergo pov.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:05 pm

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:36 pm
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Yes it is much tamer. I have the El Cap as well. Very much a digital tape delay emulator. The El Cap can be played but I tend to leave it at a particular setting and bring it in and out of the mix. The Zen Delay is much more conducive to playing as an instrument on its own. They do not sound alike at all.

Technologear? wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 am
:tu:
Thanks for sharing! I’m hoping to get my hands on one shortly! I think it would be a fantastic way to breathe some life into my outboard collection.

My minds an art gallery.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:38 am

Whatisvalis wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 pm

I love the sound of the El Cap mojo - was the Volante a bit of a dud?

The drive is the only thing I'm not sold on with the Zen. The delay and filter sound great and it looks super playable from an ergo pov.
The design philosophy is to enable going really lo-fi. The vintage tape delay setting bitcrushes the audio. So you can get some great lo-fi with the two things combined. But a very subtle amount of drive is really nice as well.

It is very ergonomic, you just want to use it, it has that kind of feel. But I do have one observation. I'm assuming they designed this with the idea that delay time and filter cutoff would be the primary controls because they have the biggest knobs and sit in the same plane, but I find my fingers stay mainly on the feedback and filter cutoff controls.

blech
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blech » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:40 pm

I got one of these but sent it back. It sounded good, it was fun to play, and it seemed generally well-made. Unfortunately, some of the the labeling on the front panel could be easily rubbed off, so I don't think Erica has quite dialed in the manufacturing process for this product yet.

I noticed there were some missing bits of text here and there upon taking it out of the box, so I started running my finger over the lettering. Some of it quickly smeared and I was able to completely erase an entire word by applying a little pressure with my fingertip.

It's funny, because this seems like the easiest piece of the puzzle to solve. Forget about the DSP algorithms, valves, analog circuits, enclosure design, etc., what they really struggled with was figuring out how to reliably screen-print words on the panel? Sorry, gotta do better for $500+.

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:04 pm

blech wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:40 pm
I got one of these but sent it back. It sounded good, it was fun to play, and it seemed generally well-made. Unfortunately, some of the the labeling on the front panel could be easily rubbed off, so I don't think Erica has quite dialed in the manufacturing process for this product yet.

I noticed there were some missing bits of text here and there upon taking it out of the box, so I started running my finger over the lettering. Some of it quickly smeared and I was able to completely erase an entire word by applying a little pressure with my fingertip.

It's funny, because this seems like the easiest piece of the puzzle to solve. Forget about the DSP algorithms, valves, analog circuits, enclosure design, etc., what they really struggled with was figuring out how to reliably screen-print words on the panel? Sorry, gotta do better for $500+.
That's unfortunate to hear. Where did you order it from and was it easy to sort out the return?

Return to “General Gear”