Ninja Tunes Erica Synths Zen Delay

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Ninja Tunes Erica Synths Zen Delay

Post by pyrolator » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:04 pm

I don´t know if D.Walker is active in this forum, but in the german sequencer-forum he posted, that there will be an firmware-update:
1. The vintage-delay is going to be deeper
2. The high resonance (which is mentioned by Stimming) will be history.

Because of the analog circuit, there will be no changes in the filter and in the overdrive.

And he asks, if anybody has another inprovement proposal....

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:44 pm

My german is not good enough to answer in that forum (it isn't even good enough to finish registering, I tried!).

I'd love to ask if it would be possible to change the pedal input to a delaytime mod input.

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Karl_Joseph » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:50 pm

pyrolator wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:04 pm
I don´t know if D.Walker is active in this forum, but in the german sequencer-forum he posted, that there will be an firmware-update:

Because of the analog circuit, there will be no changes in the filter and in the overdrive.

The ability for delay spill over when the switch is disengaged would be nice!
- KARL

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:30 pm

nodog wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:44 pm
I'd love to ask if it would be possible to change the pedal input to a delaytime mod input.
I got feedback: Unfortunately it is not possible, because this is not a CV-Input, its just a switch, where you can bypass or tap tempo.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks for asking!

This is a stupid good delay and I'm very happy to have it. If they ever think of a MkII or "ultimate version" it would be cool to add a couple of CV-ins. 1 for delaytime and 1 for filter freq would be great.

Accessgranted
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Accessgranted » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Hey all,

I have had three Zen Delays last month. They all had a very annoying high frequency sine tone when delay and filter were active at the same time. I had it tested a a modular shop in Amsterdam and he confirmed it. Can any of you check if you experiencee the same. It's with these settings;

1. Setup Zen Delay with NO input signal
2. Connect out to amp with monitors or headphone
3. Set Delay type to 2
4. Set Dry/Wet to 50%
5. Set filter to bandpass
6. Set filter cutoff at 2 o'clock
7. Set resonance to 50%
8. IN Level OFF

Now switch between Delay type 1 (OFF) and type 2. In my setup I try to have the input signal into the Zen Delay a high as possible wihout clipping and even then the tone is audible.

Also under investigation by Erica Synth.

Cheers!!!
Last edited by Accessgranted on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:31 pm

I just tried your settings. I cannot replicate it.

Accessgranted
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Accessgranted » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm

You couldn't hear anything? Because at Erica Synth they can hear it but they say it's so faint you have to deal with it. With my Zen Delays it definitely was not faint.

I also tried balanced mono cables to eliminate it. Didn't help.

I'm starting to think it's a new batch of Zen Delays that might have this.

Accessgranted
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Accessgranted » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:56 pm

I have another weird thing my Zen Delay. It doesn't seem to pick up the MIDI clock. I have a clock sent from a Digitone straight into the Zen Delay. It does not respond to tempo changes. If I connect that same cable to my Octatrack it does respond to the Digitone clock. What the hell is going on with my Zen Delays. Anyone?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:31 pm

OK I tried it again. My noise floor for that channel, which also includes the Zed FX, is around -120 db and with the delay set at those settings there is a 2kHz tone at -100 db with the channel fader set at -10db which is my max setting on the delay channel. So when I am using the zen delay with inputs, which is how I use it, and the mixer levels set normally, I can't hear it. And I definitely can't hear it in a mix.

I just tried running a synth line from a track I'm making through those settings and the 2kHz tone is indistinguishable, audibly and visually. The delay sounds pretty nice to me.
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 1.38.15 PM.png

I don't midi sync my delays. I loosely tap tempo because I think delays sound better when they are not precisely in sync, at least how I like to use them. Even if I wanted it more tightly in sync I'd rather use tap tempo than have yet another midi cable floating around the studio, I already have more cables than I want. I know this doesn't solve your problem, but just try tapping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Accessgranted
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Accessgranted » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:12 am

Thanks bro for testing and analysing. Highly appreciate it. Yes the Zen Delay is by far the best delay I 've ever had. The filter is sooo nice. The direct control is unrivalled. I just love the analogue sound it produces. I will not get rid of it. That's add to my frustration.

In my setup the tone is definitely audible through the mix. No doubt. It tested it with an input level just before clipping. Of course it's dependent on the type of sounds going through. If they are in that 2k range it's less audible. And like I said, I tested it together with Tim from MIDI Amsterdam, the modular guy. He confirmed that this is not what it should be.

I will post a video. I will record the audio soon to demonstrate it.

I hope it's not my hearing ;-) maybe I have a bump in the 2kHz range... hahaha

Cheers!

travie
1-Post Wiggler

Post by travie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:18 am

pyrolator wrote:

Hi all!
I'm now the proud owner of the Zen Delay. Overall pretty stoked about the build quality and feature set. The filter is outstanding, but I'm finding that the delay leaves a little to be desired. The phasey ringing in the Digital setting really builds up and makes higher feedback settings hard to use. I also kind of wish the Tape setting had a slight low pass in the feedback path to make the repeats a little warmer and feel like they were trailing off more - just my wish list, overall i love this thing. I may just need to spend more time getting to know it but I was curious if anyone has heard anything new about a firmware update coming down the pipeline?

abluesky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluesky » Sun May 03, 2020 7:53 pm

On April 14, Erica synths told me the update would be available that week.

abluesky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluesky » Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 pm

I also have the tone. Really bummed about that. And the negative feedback using digital but that’s fixed in the firmware. But, I found something else - sweeping the resonance past 2 o clock or so results in a jump in resonance. In other words it’s impossible to smoothly increase to max resonance. Total bummer! Can anyone confirm?

abluesky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluesky » Fri May 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Accessgranted wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:51 pm
You couldn't hear anything? Because at Erica Synth they can hear it but they say it's so faint you have to deal with it. With my Zen Delays it definitely was not faint.

I also tried balanced mono cables to eliminate it. Didn't help.

I'm starting to think it's a new batch of Zen Delays that might have this.
Yeah, I just got a zen delay and I would say the tone makes the high pass filter unusable and the bandpass filter pretty limited.

abluesky
Learning to Wiggle

Post by abluesky » Thu May 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Well, I ended up exchanging my unit with my dealer and there is no sine tone on the new unit.

sirg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sirg » Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 am

pyrolator wrote:

And he asks, if anybody has another improvement proposal....
Does anyone know if they released a firmware update addressing the 2k tone which occurs on some feedback settings in the digital delay?

It's the only thing holding me back from grabbing one of these. They are otherwise sounding pretty sweet!

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm

sirg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:51 am
pyrolator wrote:

And he asks, if anybody has another improvement proposal....
Does anyone know if they released a firmware update addressing the 2k tone which occurs on some feedback settings in the digital delay?

It's the only thing holding me back from grabbing one of these. They are otherwise sounding pretty sweet!
I'm wondering the same thing. I have one and it sounds great but that tone is pretty frustrating.

Return to “General Gear”