new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:52 am

Do we know how limited this will be? Or if there will be further batches if the first run sells out? It would be useful to know whether it's worth saving for, or if they'll all be snapped up.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:24 am

Girts23 wrote:
Hi, guys! Thank you for comments! The matrix itself is analogue mixer/buffered multiple with 3 attenuation levels (there are more attenuation level possible by combining resistors, but that will make the UI very tangled) on each connection, and it has digital control over switches. So, it can store Input/Output levels of audio and modulation circuits at certain precision, if you simply leave level pots on the instrument to the max. But we did not want to scan controls for positions or implement endless encoders, 'cause that instantly kills experimental nature of the synth.

Hi,please make your matrix available as a 'kit' (fully built),imo you will sell plenty of them.

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:37 am

Yes it's expensive, but it's around half the price of a new Synthi from Robin Wood, without the 15-year waiting list.

The most amazing thing about the Synthi (imo) is the form factor, not the circuits. Having a complex patch without a ton of cables in the way does wonders for playability, and it is a unique interface for experimentation. So I think it's a big 8-) that they didn't clone the original circuits.

Girts23 wrote: we did not want to scan controls for positions or implement endless encoders, 'cause that instantly kills experimental nature of the synth.
Thanks for posting! My biggest concern is that the "Etch-a-Sketch style" of patching the grid will be frustratingly slow (compared to pins). The patch storage is promising...and could make up for the fussy interface if patch selection/loading is fast enough (like it would be awesome if you could flip quickly through a series of patches, hearing each of them as they go by).

Your post seems to acknowledge the highly subjective balance between repeatability and experimentation that all electronic instrument designers must come down on somewhere. I'll be curious to see where this lands!
DIY Euro synth panels: Synthcube

clarkerobinson.com - music, video, synth panels, and more!

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 pm

This is cool but yes pricy.

I wish the matrix was like a touchpad that you could use a stylus to activate / deactivate the connections. THAT would be cool as hell.

If it's not a Synthi "Clone" which of course it is, why include the speakers? I'd rather see some other Erica madness piped into those locations instead of Speakers that add weight cost and I'd never use.

Tldr: I want. :deadbanana:
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

pelican
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Never use speakers? Makes it more portable
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Girts23 wrote:
Panason wrote:
It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "
surely this is no true analog and will have stepping and digital cancer! :twisted:

More seriously, if they did add high resolution digital control and total recall for all the knobs and switches, and used endless encoders with LED rings would it really hurt ?
Hi, guys! Thank you for comments! The matrix itself is analogue mixer/buffered multiple with 3 attenuation levels (there are more attenuation level possible by combining resistors, but that will make the UI very tangled) on each connection, and it has digital control over switches. So, it can store Input/Output levels of audio and modulation circuits at certain precision, if you simply leave level pots on the instrument to the max.
Hey mate, sorry... the first part of my comment was just a joke!

About this
But we did not want to scan controls for positions or implement endless encoders, 'cause that instantly kills experimental nature of the synth.
I know a lot of people don't want patch storage and that it would make the synth more expensive but I still don't understand what the problem is when it comes to creativity and experimentation. Does the lack of the option to save a patch for later and having to commit to a recording make the process more rewarding?
This is a genuine question as regards old school analog synths in general and not directed to anyone in particular. I am honestly puzzled by the people saying no to patch storage. I'm not saying this synth is not good enough as it is....The patch matrix is definitely a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned!

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Wow, that looks well built and stylish

Love patch matrix. Erica Synths is really killing it. So many awesome synths and FX.

CosmicFlight
Common Wiggler

Post by CosmicFlight » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Love Erica too, just a bit dubitative about that digital matrix.

Never had the chance to play with a Synthi but i can imagine how much its matrix is part the fun !

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:18 am

At least they clearly state it is not based sonically on an EMS.

I remember when the Analog Solutions SEMblance came out. I went to Rogers and we all had a good laugh.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:57 am

[video][/video]

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Luap wrote:[video][/video]
I'm not a big video demo guy

But he's awesome!

"Stay Creative, make music."
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:08 am

gentle_attack wrote: If it's not a Synthi "Clone" which of course it is, why include the speakers?
One word - Feedback

He says in the video if you crank it up, the speakers interact physically with the spring tank.

Or you can take a cheap mic and feed the speaker output back in through the mic input (which is very different from just looping back out to in with a jack cable).

Speakers bring a physicality to the synth(i) that most others lack. I think its a nice touch.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:36 am

Umcorps wrote:
gentle_attack wrote: If it's not a Synthi "Clone" which of course it is, why include the speakers?
One word - Feedback

He says in the video if you crank it up, the speakers interact physically with the spring tank.

Or you can take a cheap mic and feed the speaker output back in through the mic input (which is very different from just looping back out to in with a jack cable).

Speakers bring a physicality to the synth(i) that most others lack. I think its a nice touch.
I don't know if it works the same on the Synthi or the Syntrx but on the VCS3 you can get the whole case and the spring reverb rattling nicely with the internal speakers with sympathetic resonances. It really adds an organic feeling to the unit.

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 pm

New video up, this time with some sounds.

[video][/video]

I might start saving up ...

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:23 pm

clarke68 wrote:Yes it's expensive, but it's around half the price of a new Synthi from Robin Wood, without the 15-year waiting list.

The VCS3 is still available from Robin, but pending a possible case redesign down the line, the Synthi is not.
clarke68 wrote: My biggest concern is that the "Etch-a-Sketch style" of patching the grid will be frustratingly slow (compared to pins). Thof patches, hearing each of them as they go by).
Patching with pins is fun but not exactly quick and breezy identifying patch points on a small grid. This version loses the ability to add half-inserted pins to a patch or remove pins of course, but the memory could be at least an interesting trade off.

I’m not hearing qualities in this particular demo patch that have me terribly excited—maybe they leaned a bit much on the s&h here—but That is often the case with trade show demos.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:17 pm

pretty stoked on this one. :guinness:

maybe I'm alone but I don't see it as being over-priced for what you're getting. I see it as comparable to a TTSH and those are $3600, fully built.

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:03 pm

As long as you can drive the stages in a similar way - doesn't have to be exactly the same! - then I'm down for this.

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:11 pm

steffengrondahl wrote:New video up, this time with some sounds.

[video][/video]

I might start saving up ...
perfect if your band needs to cover afx acid 04

edit @ 6:22 I couldn't get the embed to start at the right time

PhutneyBuilder
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by PhutneyBuilder » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:47 am

papz wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:11 am
The Synthi A and VCS3 already offer patch matrix memory thanks to the prestopatch.

With this digital matrix one can't play with the matrix pushing and pulling pins, which is a big part of the Synthi fun and versatility.
Well you could have two patches in memory and alternate between the two different pin positions.

Best regards Derek.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:59 pm

I sent them an email suggesting that another feature to add might be a mode in which the LED matrix could be switched into a basic Tenori-ON sequencer - rows being pitch selection and columns being 16 steps of the sequence. Storable sequences. It would really make this a useful stand alone unit. It only depends on if the current software can handle it and if there is an easy way to send gates and CV to the synth section internally.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 pm

Unfortunately it just doesn't sound like anything that special from the demos.

Why not base the sound engine on the synthi? Synthi clone with digital matrix would have been cool and not much else sounds like that.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:08 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 pm

Why not base the sound engine on the synthi? Synthi clone with digital matrix would have been cool and not much else sounds like that.
I imagine that since the Synthi is still in production, they didn't want to spend the money that Analogue Systems is spending to license their EMS based filter and Envelope shaper modules. In my opinion, those are the only real unique modules in the EMS stuff. The AS VCOs already are very similar, even doing 0.5v/oct if you want - not exactly the same as the EMS 0.32v/oct, but close enough. They do the same wave shaping though.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by Lux A Turner » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Figures wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:Very cool, but not for that price.
Agreed. Like it a lot in looks and concept, hopefully sound.

But 2.5k for a mono is a lot.

Especially when you can get synth like craftsynth 2.0 from modal that cost 120, and...
... when Behringer have already teased some kind of 'Butney', which will probably cost under $500.
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:08 pm
xonetacular wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:20 pm

I imagine that since the Synthi is still in production, they didn't want to spend the money that Analogue Systems is spending to license their EMS based filter and Envelope shaper modules. In my opinion, those are the only real unique modules in the EMS stuff. The AS VCOs already are very similar, even doing 0.5v/oct if you want - not exactly the same as the EMS 0.32v/oct, but close enough. They do the same wave shaping though.
Why would they need to license it? It’s a circuit, and a 50 year old one. How many moog ladder filter clones are out there? The hornet/portabella also exists and does get the sound down. But 6k...

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Maybe out of respect to Robin Wood who still produces the Synthi ?
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Return to “General Gear”