new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Post by weinglas » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:54 pm

TUNA !

...SYNTRX !
red

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 am

Gotta say the implementation seems very EMS like. Sound wise... a little bit there. The RM voice sound at the beginning is dead on. I like their honesty. I recall how so much fanfare was tooted over the ASol Vostok as an EMS revision, when it was just more of the same ASol modules with a limited matrix.

A tribute to the form of the EMS, without claiming to be equal to EMS, without Bogart ripping off EMS (like some modern makers do to others quite leagally). For a solid built unit with these features it is likely worth the dough.

I wonder if Girts and the crew ever sleep.

If I could, I would like to have one of these next to Macbeth Elements.

https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/syntrx/ ... PtMuB9pmmk
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Karl_Joseph » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:23 am

Can I get it in black?
- KARL

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:30 am

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 am
A tribute to the form of the EMS, without claiming to be equal to EMS, without Bogart ripping off EMS (like some modern makers do to others quite leagally). For a solid built unit with these features it is likely worth the dough.

Erica Synths has an entire line of polivoks clone modules, not to mention their drum modules that are clearly based off roland circuitry. Why are people acting like they are so much more noble for not cloning this than the other dirty cloners?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:07 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:30 am
Erica Synths has an entire line of polivoks clone modules, not to mention their drum modules that are clearly based off roland circuitry. Why are people acting like they are so much more noble for not cloning this than the other dirty cloners?
Maybe because, as stated by them and others, it is NOT a clone. So it sort of looks like a Synthi, and has similar modules, they have explicitly claimed the electronics are NOT based on EMS designs. There is a big difference between being inspired by a past product, and copying it's circuitry and electronics.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:34 pm

My point is about the company in general that already has multiple other products that actually are clones. Ok they didn't clone this one, but they clearly don't have a moral issue with cloning and people are applauding them for this particular instance for being better than other clone manufacturers and ignoring the fact that they do produce clones already.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:23 pm

I don't really care how close (or not) this is to a Synthi's tone, it sounds fab.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synth

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:20 pm

They’re blatantly ripping off the Synthi brand mystique as the core their marketing strategy. Without actually delivering a Synthi clone. How is this any less xploitive than the B-word?
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:45 pm

The majority of the business model is not based on clones - there is a ton of innovation and unique design. So, it is all a matter of measure and mélange.
Please also note the commitment to promote the local music scene (Garage) and other activities.

:tu:
red

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 pm

electricanada wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:20 pm
They’re blatantly ripping off the Synthi brand mystique as the core their marketing strategy. Without actually delivering a Synthi clone. How is this any less xploitive than the B-word?
Not making a Synthi clone is blatant exploitation? :despair:

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:41 pm

mgscheue wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 pm
electricanada wrote:
Not making a Synthi clone is blatant exploitation? :despair:
I suppose someone who had already forgotten the first clause by the time they arrived at the second clause might interpret the statement that way.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:23 pm

Indeed, I didn’t comment on the unsupported opinion in the first half.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:27 pm

electricanada wrote:
Exactly. Except this this just sounds like crap I'm not sure if people are deaf or just overwhelmed by the pretty synthi looking interface. If you listened to the audio blind I would just think it's some average three figure monosynth or euro modules.

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 pm

I just saw this. I have to say two things. When I heard the demo above I assumed it had the Synthi mk1 matrix layout. Unfortunately, that is not the case here. Being a Synthi 'A' mk1 owner I would just have to pass on this one. However, I do think it is a great concept and sounds very good other than the obligatory techno demo...

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:57 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:30 am
MindMachine wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 am

Not so noble. Just being up front about their circuitry I guess. We all pick and choose who we think do things the right way. It looks like a solid machine. I also like the overall package of the Macbeth Elements which has some EMS inspiration. It is such a wonderful time to be a synthesis. So many affordable options and good thing because there are no more $ 800.00 AKS units anymore.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

Not so noble. Just being up front about their circuitry I guess. We all pick and choose who we think do things the right way. It looks like a solid machine. I also like the overall package of the Macbeth Elements which has some EMS inspiration. It is such a wonderful time to be a synthesis. So many affordable options and good thing because there are no more $ 800.00 AKS units anymore.
Funny you should mention $800 for an AKS. An eBay auction ended yesterday. The Synthi part of the auction sold for $8800 (11 times that for which is stated above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMS-SYNTHI-A-V ... true&rt=nc

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 pm

jfloftin wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

Funny you should mention $800 for an AKS. An eBay auction ended yesterday. The Synthi part of the auction sold for $8800 (11 times that for which is stated above.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMS-SYNTHI-A-V ... true&rt=nc
That seems like a good deal and I am sorry I missed it.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 am

tau_seti wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 pm

That seems like a good deal and I am sorry I missed it.
I don't think so...,if you look at the joystick,red square switch and power inlet...and Datanomics brand..

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:11 am

c u t e !
red

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:56 am

and yes,

o r d e r e d !
red

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:22 am

Can you imagine living back in the late 60's and thinking "wow, in 2020 there will be so many synthesizers available that people will have lost all interest in the sound and making music with them. All that will matter is how it got here"

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 am

xonetacular wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:34 pm
My point is about the company in general that already has multiple other products that actually are clones.
do they? I'm not aware of any. yes, they recreated the circuitry of the Polivoks for eurorack, but that's not actually a clone. likewise with their Roland-based drum modules. these all take an old circuit/sound and move it to a new platform, and add more controls/options. not outright cloning, complete with the same look/feel as the original. I know they did make enclosures for the Nava/Yocto boxes. but they didn't work on the internals of them I don't think.

personally, I think the most interesting thing here is the patch memory. change up the patches and leave the other synth controls alone, could lead to some really interesting stuff.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm

chiasticon wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 am
xonetacular wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:34 pm
My point is about the company in general that already has multiple other products that actually are clones.
do they? I'm not aware of any. yes, they recreated the circuitry of the Polivoks for eurorack, but that's not actually a clone. likewise with their Roland-based drum modules. these all take an old circuit/sound and move it to a new platform, and add more controls/options. not outright cloning, complete with the same look/feel as the original.
This is just mental gymnastics. By that logic the Behringer model D that caused so much controversy isn't a clone either because they moved it to a small desktop/eurorack compatible platform, glad we can put that to rest now too.

I don't actually care too much about the ethics of cloning or if they straight up 1:1 cloned anything but the selective outrage people have and justifications/exceptions they make are ridiculous.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 pm
This is just mental gymnastics. By that logic the Behringer model D that caused so much controversy isn't a clone either because they moved it to a small desktop/eurorack compatible platform, glad we can put that to rest now too.

I don't actually care too much about the ethics of cloning or if they straight up 1:1 cloned anything but the selective outrage people have and justifications/exceptions they make are ridiculous.
not trying to start a "are clones OK" argument. and I'm not outraged at one or the other. just asking if they actually straight-up cloned anything, by circuit and look/feel. sounds like I was correct when I thought no.

Return to “General Gear”