new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Post by anselmi » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Why are you so motivated to choose a side of everything?

clone, no clone, inspired by, copy of, blahblahblah ... there are no sides at all, and it is not mandatory to choose one ... you can buy X, like Y, dislike the clone of Z, love the copy more than the original, whatever

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:13 am

chiasticon wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 pm
not trying to start a "are clones OK" argument. and I'm not outraged at one or the other. just asking if they actually straight-up cloned anything, by circuit and look/feel. sounds like I was correct when I thought no.
You're making a distinction and rules for what constitutes a clone that are not at all aligned with the common usage of the term. Clones don't have to be 1:1 copies to be called clones. Whether they copy some or all of the circuitry, interface layout, look, and or form factor of an existing instrument to emulate or recreate characteristics of that instrument it can be called a "clone." It doesn't necessarily have to have all of those things to be one.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:49 am

xonetacular wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:13 am
Whether they copy some or all of the circuitry, interface layout, look, and or form factor of an existing instrument to emulate or recreate characteristics of that instrument it can be called a "clone." It doesn't necessarily have to have all of those things to be one.
Clone should mean 'identical' not using some other instrument's design element. By your exceedingly broad definition, the Prophet 5 and SE-02 are clones of the Minimoog and Baloran's The River is a clone of the Moog Source, which they aren't. However, they all use elements of their predecessors' designs or layout. I'd say they were 'inspired by' rather than cloned, which is also the OP and Erica's take on things.

D.Tilbury
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by D.Tilbury » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:20 am

Girts23 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 am
Panason wrote:
It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "
surely this is no true analog and will have stepping and digital cancer! :twisted:

More seriously, if they did add high resolution digital control and total recall for all the knobs and switches, and used endless encoders with LED rings would it really hurt ?
Hi, guys! Thank you for comments! The matrix itself is analogue mixer/buffered multiple with 3 attenuation levels (there are more attenuation level possible by combining resistors, but that will make the UI very tangled) on each connection, and it has digital control over switches. So, it can store Input/Output levels of audio and modulation circuits at certain precision, if you simply leave level pots on the instrument to the max. But we did not want to scan controls for positions or implement endless encoders, 'cause that instantly kills experimental nature of the synth.

How about colored caps on the knobs?....has anyone seen that available anywhere to modify the aesthetics to align it a little with the Synthi looks....blue oscilators....red envelopes(?) Green ones yellow?

Not sure what all the original synthi colors represented
-blippen
"Dirtle Tilbury"

red
Wiggling with Experience

Post by red » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:37 am

anselmi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm
clone, no clone, inspired by, copy of, blahblahblah ...

... no clone... blahblahblah ... mehmehmeh
red

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:14 am

red wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:37 am
anselmi wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 pm
clone, no clone, inspired by, copy of, blahblahblah ...

... no clone... blahblahblah ... mehmehmeh
:hihi:

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm

Fuck innovation - I want clones :twisted:

Yes I ordered this clone or whatever. The VCS3/AKS has always been my dream synth number one. However current prices (new or used) has kept me off. And I'm not pedantic - it doesn't have to sound exactly like a VCS3/AKS like my synthesizers.com modular doesn't sound exactly like a Moog System 3.

Actually for some years I thought "please make a VCS3/AKS inspired synth perhaps with a few improvements like sample & hold and a digital alternative to the pin matrix". And then Erica does it! And it's even better looking than a VCS3/AKS and much cheeper :party:

It's a little like when 5 years ago, I got an old noisy prophet-600 and though "Dave, you should do an modern update, and 49 keys would be just fine" and then he released the Prophet-6 :jawdrop:

This must be a sign. Or just an excuse for spending :75: on gear :mrgreen:

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:33 pm

I think if i hadn't just bought a GRP A2 I would be all over this. looks great.

tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tobb » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 pm

After all,well designed machine and looks pretty good and well built :tu:

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:57 am

I really like the modern matrix design. It seems smart and efficient.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Systemj69
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Systemj69 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:51 am

Absolutly fantastic !, the best companion to my EL2 - ordered two days ago. :love:

hylaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hylaster » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Got my pre-order in last week - was drawn more to the UI and workflow than to any sonic similarity to a Synthi - and already looking for a suitcase to mount it in.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Yeah I'm going to have to get in on this too. Pre-ordered the Bassline; this thing is calling me like a siren song. Perfect for atmospheric/experimental techno sounds.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:25 pm

just waiting for the manual to go live before i pre-order...3900$ CAD. Steep but it seems like a grail synth for me.

Dadakopf
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Dadakopf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:10 pm

Yes, not a clone, but... if you look at the original VCS3, etc, and this box there are some obvious direct similarities and weird differences. OSC 1 and 2 each have two waveforms. One can be waveshaped, and both have a level control. On the VCS3, on the matrix, both OSCs have two outputs, one for each waveform. On the SYNTRX there is just one output. What is it? A mix of the two, one or the other, no clue.... The added S&H shares matrix connections with OSC 3, so I guess you can use one or the other. There are two CV inputs and a gate on the back panel with no corresponding lines on the matrix. Where do these go? How can you route them? If you plug in a midi keyboard, where does the pitch and gate go? They really need to get their manual up so we can look at it. A VCS3 was my introduction to synths. I got really excited when I saw this, but too many questions right now.

hylaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hylaster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 pm

I emailed Erica about these very questions a few days ago. This was the answer:
"CV inputs are set to VCO1 and VCO2.
For VCO1 and VCO2 you can have square or triangle or mix in between two of those.
S&H and VCO 3 appear on the same row in matrix, but there are modes which you can select so you can have VCO 3 and S&H or noise at the same time."

As you say, the manual will clarify. Too bad they chose to not have as much patching flexibility as a VCS3 but not a dealbreaker for me (so far.)
Dadakopf wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:10 pm
Yes, not a clone, but... if you look at the original VCS3, etc, and this box there are some obvious direct similarities and weird differences. OSC 1 and 2 each have two waveforms. One can be waveshaped, and both have a level control. On the VCS3, on the matrix, both OSCs have two outputs, one for each waveform. On the SYNTRX there is just one output. What is it? A mix of the two, one or the other, no clue.... The added S&H shares matrix connections with OSC 3, so I guess you can use one or the other. There are two CV inputs and a gate on the back panel with no corresponding lines on the matrix. Where do these go? How can you route them? If you plug in a midi keyboard, where does the pitch and gate go? They really need to get their manual up so we can look at it. A VCS3 was my introduction to synths. I got really excited when I saw this, but too many questions right now.

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 pm

I'm still waiting on the manual before I decide. It's between this or the Black System for me. I like the form factor of the Syntrx a lot more than eurorack (sold all mine a long time ago) but really like the flexible tone creation....

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:51 pm

geoffmar wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:57 pm
I'm still waiting on the manual before I decide. It's between this or the Black System for me. I like the form factor of the Syntrx a lot more than eurorack (sold all mine a long time ago) but really like the flexible tone creation....
The form factor is the real draw for me. I used to own a pair of AKSs and that was the perfect size and shape for a gig. I started building up a clone using AS modules that are licensed clones, but the Doepfer P6 cabinet is just not the same.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 pm

The website says a limited run will be available at the end of 2019. Does anyone have one yet or has there been a delay?

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Delayed. Shipping april. I keep putting it in my cart and then second guessing and waiting for the black system iii with the new sequencer.

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 pm

geoffmar wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:33 pm
Delayed. Shipping april. I keep putting it in my cart and then second guessing and waiting for the black system iii with the new sequencer.
Got it. I'm very curious about these and imagine a lot of people are excited. I'm going to hold off on ordering.

supersoul
Learning to Wiggle

Post by supersoul » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:23 pm

I've wanted a Synthi for a very long time. At one point I tried to buy a pin matrix component from the Italian manufacturer who made them for the original. When I programmed a Behringer BCR2000 as a control surface for a Waldorf Blofeld, I used the Synthi's layout as a starting point.

The Synthi is a great design (I think it was Tristam Cary who designed the layout). The way the controls are arranged lets me visualize how the sound is coming into being. I like that it is not cramped, which also affects my relationship to it. It's also good that it does not rely a keyboard, so that the sound isn't nudged towards equal temperament. Good design never grows old.

The Syntrx's recallable matrix is a good enhancement.

I'm quite excited for mine to arrive, sometime in early April, so they say.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:43 am

Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:47 am

weinglas wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:43 am
Manual is available:
https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/SYNTRX_MANUAL.pdf
Oh no. WTB level is rising.

hylaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by hylaster » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:35 pm

I'm already thinking about how to mount the Syntryx in a suitcase. Any DIYers have ideas about this? Dimensions are 309mm x 457mm x 115mm, so a 21 inch Halliburton seems a bit bulky for it...

Return to “General Gear”