Question about Dupont to 3.5mm

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Moerder
Common Wiggler

Question about Dupont to 3.5mm

Post by Moerder » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 am

Hello folks, I wasn't quite sure if this is the right part of the forum but here we go:

Since I've got a few bits of gear that use Dupont cables/jumper wires I was looking into adapters and the like. basically so that I could take signals/cv from a pinboard and feed it into the modular (eurorack in my case), or vice-versa. I found this so far and there it says 'Allows you to connect your audio devices to dupont 3pin port'. Having no previous experience with this stuff I thought there is something that is 1to1, so on one end there'd be the male pin thingy, while the other end is a standard 3.5mm jack, but I haven't seen one like this and Google seems to always bring up either this 3pin adapter or plain jumper cables.

So for starters, my questions are: does a '1to1' type cable/adapter exist at all? Are they sold somewhere I haven't seen yet? And if the 3pin one is the only available choice, does it need 3 pins to function or would one be enough? and what about stereo/mono issues when the output/input is likely only mono?

As a further example, the Bastl BitRanger has a ton of clock divisions and I would like to take some of them out of the Bitranger individually to have those signals mess with racked stuff. Or take an LFO to modulate, say, the frequency of an oscillator that has pin inputs. Only examples, but I hope this helps to clarify.

I'm guessing there's something about grounding issues, voltages, etc. which I have no clue about so any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

rkiwi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rkiwi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:49 pm

:doh:
edit:
I could be wrong but I think this it.

beku
Common Wiggler

Post by beku » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:31 am

Moerder
Common Wiggler

Post by Moerder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:40 am

nice one! that looks super useful indeed. though I don't atually own a nanosynth. are there any voltage/protection issues I should be aware of? the website only really mentions something specific to the nanosynth, or, if unsure, 'use the protected side', which is fair enough I guess. but on the soundmachines forum it says 'First of all, to make the protection work, you have to connect the voltage extremes from the NS1nanosynth to the Nanobridge.' I know that some of the devices I have are generally protected, I just don't want to take any chances when it comes to potentially electrocuting gear..

apart from that, great suggestion beku, thanks! :D

beku
Common Wiggler

Post by beku » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:01 am

Hey Moerder,

i don't own a nanosynth either... I use the nanobridge for interfacing the folktek mescaline from my euro.
As far as i understand, the whole protected circuit thing is specific to the nanosynth since it only accepts 5v max. You would need to connect the nanosynths "0V” and “5V” reference to the little headers on the bridge to use the limiting diodes.
However i do not use that functionality since mesacline in itself is a euro module and should be able to accept everything i plan to throw at it (from my bigger euro).
Works well so far...

Cheers,
beku

MWA45
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Question about Dupont to 3.5mm

Post by MWA45 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks beku that answered my question as I also want to integrate a recently purchased Folktek Mescaline into the existing eurorack system. The Nanobrain looks perfect.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Moerder wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:34 am
Since I've got a few bits of gear that use Dupont cables/jumper wires I was looking into adapters and the like.
Tangible Waves AE Modular should have something that wold work for you. Beyond any format adapter module you might need, it's also a really great system that would work -physically- with what you have, and very inexpensive.

It would also be VERY easy to build -or have built- an adapter box using Thonkiconn jacks, machined pin sockets and vero/stripboard.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Gear using dupont pins is basically just passing 'voltage only' internally within a unit which has a single ground point. If you want to incorporate other stuff with it using 3.5mm mono jacks you would need to have a common ground point between them, which is what the shield of the jack is for. Because most dupont headers don't have a dedicated ground connected socket on the header, you need to accommodate a different method. The simplest is to make sure there is a common ground by plugging a jack from the audio output of the thing which has dupont headers, and sticking it in the second piece of equipment you want to use, but that's not always possible.

Moog solved this problem on the werkstatt by making a connection to the chassis of the synth via the 3.5mm jack adapter board, and having that tied to the shield of the output jacks, thus making a common ground connection.

Also, to pass negative voltage, there has to be a common ground between the modules, otherwise it's a problem. I can't remember exactly why because i've been drinking guinness for a few hours.

Look into the way the Kilpatrick Phenol is connected to external gear. It's the same principle.

That cable you found would only work if you had a connection to the ground of the bitranger going into one of the sockets, namely, the one connected to the shield. You'd probably need a multimeter to determine which one that is. Looking at the bitranger, if you had a jack cable going to the side 'conn2' output, or the clock out, connected to the next module, you would probably have a common ground there, which means you could bodge up an adapter. I reckon you could make a lil box with an input from one of those jacks, multed to an output for that signal, then have a dupont header where the pins are connected to 3.5mm jack 'tips', and then just wire all the ground connections for all the 3.5mm jacks together.

Return to “General Gear”