I hate LEDs

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

reaganry
Learning to Wiggle

I hate LEDs

Post by reaganry » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:24 am

Anyone else LED-phobic? I can't deal with all the flashing lights and screens. probably the wrong hobby to take up.
what are your favorite dark modules? what kind of rig have you put together?

NorthBro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by NorthBro » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 am

hahaha!

Reminds me when i got the MakeNoise TEMPI with all those blingblongblang flashy blinky blue leds. A nightmare when I jam in the night! so I end up to cover with stickers those leds...

I am mostly with you. I hate blue/white LEDs, and my eyes seems to like the red ones. :despair:

commodorejohn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:11 pm

NorthBro wrote:I am mostly with you. I hate blue/white LEDs, and my eyes seems to like the red ones. :despair:
This. Blue LEDs are a hate crime against eyeballs.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 pm

Dude just clip the leds off. Its so easy. Blue LEDs are unforgivable though.

Pelsea
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Pretty.....pretty........

I like them when they convey essential information. I’m not bothered by bright ones, but my eyes aren’t so good and I always work in a well lit room.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly-
pqe

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:27 pm

I'm casing up 30+ Analogue Systems modules which are noticeably free of LEDs, only showing up where necessary such as LFO rate and envelope trigger indicators at small size and low intensities. These modules sound great as well.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 pm

I like Doepfer for their minimal use of LED's (on most modules). Super bright blue and white one really really irritate me. No screens on modules for me. I grabbed some of these for the brighter modules:

They work best with recessed LED's. They are all over my PEG and QCD. Made all the difference in the world.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:15 pm

I have no issues with LEDs, they never bother me. I do have some modules without LEDs the would really benefit from having some, though. LFOs, VCAs, etc.
New modular track! My first in six months. :party: Messy and unglued.

chaocrator
Common Wiggler

Post by chaocrator » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:54 pm

+1 to blue LEDs haters club.
my favorite are green.
that UFO behind me is real

HerrX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by HerrX » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 am

Blue, white and UV LEDs all stress my eyes. The more different colored LEDs I see, the more I like red.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:39 am

I don't have an issue with anything that provides useful information on: system status, lfo speed, trigger events. Some LEDs however are just too bright, and bright cobalt blue LEDs really suck. My otherwise perfect WMD SSF Spectrum VCO is plagued by these. Most of them don't even flash - they are on all the time.

As a basic rule, perhaps LEDs should not be incorporated into a module's design unless they include the means to dim them. It will add to the cost but (I reckon) also add to a module's usability and desirability.

As another poster pointed out, Doepfer gets this right. Their designers seem to go for the minimum number of LEDs to do the job, and the colours are not too intrusive.

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Post by porphyrion » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:04 am

Indoors, I recommend orange 'Blue Light-blocker-glasses' as the easiest although still non-optimal solution to deal with the unfortunate wildgrowth of overly bright and Blue LEDs on current modules.

Also add to this an Infrared-lamp in the background to add those particular light frequencies. Nothing beats the sun, it's the only source of light we are truly accustomed to over billions of years! (but only without sunscreen, glasses, lenses and not from behind glass since this also makes blue light more dominant and cuts out the best part of the UV-spectum)...

It is no coincidence there are so many musicians struggling with many health issues and addiction to cope with a bad environment (their studio, which is cut-off from direct sunlight)...

Jon Ott wrote a book on the effects of light on our metabolism and health, it's a good place to start. Kids in school got more ADHD when exposed to just artifical light... He was writing in the sixties and we still haven't learned... Prior to artificial lighting there were far less chronic diseases such as diabetes, (colon)cancer, obesity, etc.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 am

One of my favorite things is going blind when making a sequence on my Andy Pledger x0xb0x with blue LEDs...which I specifically asked for when I just didn't know any better.

Joking aside, I like some LEDs where they provide useful information...I also just like LEDs, but yeah, not too many.

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by oldgearguy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 am

There's also the problem for those of us that have varying degrees of color weakness/blindness -- the tri-color LEDs (specifically the orange/green/red) can be of certain intensity of brightness/saturation such that I can't easily tell if it's orange or green or red. Some of my gear I had to swap out the stock ones for a purple/white/yellow combo or add resistors to lower the intensity to allow more of the color to be apparent.

You'd think gear designers (mostly male) building gear for a (mostly male) audience would understand that the incidence of color issues are more prevalent in their target audience.

Blue LEDs in any intensity should be banished. That's one of the main reasons I sold a PolyEvolver after buying it - it hurt my eyes to use it for an extended period of time.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 am

chvad wrote:I like Doepfer for their minimal use of LED's (on most modules). Super bright blue and white one really really irritate me. No screens on modules for me. I grabbed some of these for the brighter modules:
Finally, something to cover laptop/selfie cameras with that is not an ugly piece of tape!

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 am

Panason wrote:
chvad wrote:I like Doepfer for their minimal use of LED's (on most modules). Super bright blue and white one really really irritate me. No screens on modules for me. I grabbed some of these for the brighter modules:
Finally, something to cover laptop/selfie cameras with that is not an ugly piece of tape!

Just what i was thinking!

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:33 am

Panason wrote:
hahaha! that’d be cool BUT THESE ARE TRANSLUCENT. maybe two of them stacked... which is what i had to do on my API pre’s. brightest blue led’s i’ve ever seen. brutal.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 am

They work best with recessed LED's. They are all over my PEG and QCD. Made all the difference in the world.
Thanks for the tip. also available in Europe. Ordered!

Weird thing is that you'd expect the cheapest stuff would have the worst leds but no, the most expensive outboard unit I have has the worst case of blue leds. (I'm looking at you Blackbox HG2, and getting blinded in the process)

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:59 am

There are diffused blue LEDs I use sometimes and they seem to be fine. I also "diffuse" other LEDs by carefully using a file or Dremel to take the shine off the front.

If you don't like LEDs, do not get into Eurorack! I sometimes patch my rack with the sound off just to see how many LEDs I can get going at the same time.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:14 am

I’m not a huge fan , they should all come with dimmers.

I found dark pink ones to be the least offensive.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Mark11Audio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mark11Audio » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:28 am

:waah: :waah: :waah:

You guys must really hate me then !!!

I absolutely HATE RED LED's... :mad: :mad: :mad: and pay extra to have them swapped out for what are classified as "cool colors" in the spectrum, Blue, Green and Purple...

ImageImageImage

ImageImage
"Trust No One, Question Everything..."

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 am

commodorejohn wrote:
NorthBro wrote:I am mostly with you. I hate blue/white LEDs, and my eyes seems to like the red ones. :despair:
This. Blue LEDs are a hate crime against eyeballs.
Red light doesn't degrade night vision the way other colors do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purkinje_effect

Zenn
Hired Geek

Post by Zenn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:54 am

Mark11Audio wrote:You guys must really hate me then !!!
Not you, just your LEDs
Mark11Audio wrote:I absolutely HATE RED LED's... :mad: :mad: :mad: and pay extra to have them swapped out for what are classified as "cool colors" in the spectrum, Blue, Green and Purple...

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 am

Randy wrote:
If you don't like LEDs, do not get into Eurorack! .
That's one of many reasons I can think of, wanting to actually make music being another one :twisted:

Seriously folks, don't use blue LEDs. They were never cool- just look at all those tacky chinese PC peripherals.

Use purple, and shades of red for cool looks- pink, orange. low intensity white is also pretty cool.

A wiggler must have style .

mycoST
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mycoST » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:51 am

I'm with you on this one. My issues are mostly with guitar pedals, my Demeter compressor pedal with a blue LED fries my eyes. The LED is so strong I see the blue light strongly in the ceiling. And don't get me started on Behringer pedals, ok they have red LEDs, but they make it impossible to read the knob writings..

Return to “General Gear”