Behringer teases 303 clone?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

JankySwitch
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Behringer teases 303 clone?

Post by JankySwitch » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:50 pm

After accidentally overwriting a pattern twice - I searched for a 303 Pattern sheet Image.

Hopefully I won't have that problem again.

I've also found the Tiny Loops 303 tutorial useful. It's a lot clearer than the Behringer manual.
[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1705660099 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333]

JankySwitch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JankySwitch » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:53 pm

3hands wrote: I’ve bought and paid for my TD3 Feb 8th, but still haven’t gotten it yet. Anyone else in Canada in the same boat?
I bought mine in December and it arrived early February. It's more to do when the next batch (of your colour) is manufactured. DV247 is saying mid March to early April depending on version.
[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1705660099 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333]

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:22 pm

JankySwitch wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:53 pm
3hands wrote: I’ve bought and paid for my TD3 Feb 8th, but still haven’t gotten it yet. Anyone else in Canada in the same boat?
I bought mine in December and it arrived early February. It's more to do when the next batch (of your colour) is manufactured. DV247 is saying mid March to early April depending on version.
Awesome man thanks! I’m waiting on silver.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:24 pm

Ps thanks for that 303 patch sheet! That’s going to make life a lot easier!

My minds an art gallery.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:40 pm

heckadecimal69 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 am
daveholiday wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:27 pm
Just a quick question for those of you that have the TD-3. I have gone through the quick start manual and haven't seen much in the way of MIDI implementation. What exactly does the TD-3 send and receive via MIDI? I assume MIDI clock start/stop, but any note data? Could you drive this from an external sequencer? Before everyone jumps my shit about the sequencer...I am used to sending midi to my "acid boxes". Most of my clones are rack mount....3 Syntecno TeeBees and 2 MAM MB33mkII. At $150 and lots of very good reviews I will still pick a couple up....just curious about the MIDI!

Thanks!

I know, I know......WTF? MIDI? 303? what the hell is this guy smoking... :eek:
I'm with you 100%, even with my Avalon which has a sick sequencer and extra envelope trigs, I prefer to use my Engine so it's all in one place. Plus I have a ton of acidlines written on there. The TD-3 sequences fine over MIDI although slides weren't working... Apparently they just released an update a few days ago that fixes this but I haven't tried it yet. Sounds like it works though.
So how does it work over MIDI? Does it follow the MIDI 303 "typical" parameter set? In other words, is accent controlled by a velocity value, slides controlled by overlapping notes? I guess the easiest thing would be to just record the internal sequencer via MIDI and see what you get!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:36 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:40 pm
So how does it work over MIDI? Does it follow the MIDI 303 "typical" parameter set? In other words, is accent controlled by a velocity value, slides controlled by overlapping notes? I guess the easiest thing would be to just record the internal sequencer via MIDI and see what you get!
Badly. Don't use it over MIDI beyond syncing. Slide doesn't work properly, which is key to the sound.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:36 pm
daveholiday wrote:
Badly. Don't use it over MIDI beyond syncing. Slide doesn't work properly, which is key to the sound.
So then learn to actually program it instead of half assing it with the crappy ap; and then complain? Back in 83 we didn’t have an app (Jesus I sound like my dad)

My minds an art gallery.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 am

3hands wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:40 pm
Kattefjaes wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
So then learn to actually program it instead of half assing it with the crappy ap; and then complain? Back in 83 we didn’t have an app (Jesus I sound like my dad)
Yeah, the onboard sequencer with its happy accident workflow is half the point. Hence "don't".

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:44 pm

Oh bloody hell I misunderstood.

My apologies!

My minds an art gallery.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:29 pm

3hands wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:44 pm
Oh bloody hell I misunderstood.

My apologies!
All good, I totally agree and approve this message.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 am
3hands wrote:
Kattefjaes wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
Yeah, the onboard sequencer with its happy accident workflow is half the point. Hence "don't".
What about those people who already have the line in their head and the cryptic TB programming causes so much anguish that the whole song idea is ruined and throws the composer into a fit a rage which leads to smashing the instrument smashing the furniture killing the cats and wife then burning the house down and fleeing to Mexico in a twisted fit of remorse and rage.....

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:24 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:14 pm
Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 am
3hands wrote:
Kattefjaes wrote:
daveholiday wrote:
What about those people who already have the line in their head and the cryptic TB programming causes so much anguish that the whole song idea is ruined and throws the composer into a fit a rage which leads to smashing the instrument smashing the furniture killing the cats and wife then burning the house down and fleeing to Mexico in a twisted fit of remorse and rage.....
Just ignore them. You've already stated your fair reasoning for sequencing over MIDI.
Yes, it works as you laid it out (you can set the accent-velocity threshold in the app), BUT the 1.2.5 update that fixes (or adds it as they claim, since "it wasn't broken") MIDI slides isn't showing up as available for me as of last night. Others have reported it's working though.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:36 pm

heckadecimal69 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:24 pm

Just ignore them. You've already stated your fair reasoning for sequencing over MIDI.
Yes, it works as you laid it out (you can set the accent-velocity threshold in the app), BUT the 1.2.5 update that fixes (or adds it as they claim, since "it wasn't broken") MIDI slides isn't showing up as available for me as of last night. Others have reported it's working though.
Yeah, its not a big deal I will use them in whatever way they work! My Syntecnos are my babies and I like the way they sound and perform, so I will always have my go to! I do work in the box quite a bit so MIDI is an integral part of how I work, so I will figure out the limitations when I get them. I am waiting on the yellow so maybe the bugs will be fixed by the time they ship! I am looking forward to exploring the sequencer...I understand the "happy accident" so perhaps that will open some new variations when trying to program some of my old lines!

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:38 pm

daveholiday wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:14 pm
Well, those people are always free to go back to boring old DAW sequencing of their silver box if they want. Responsible grown-up sequencing? Gah!

if you're going to do that, why bother with a 303-alike at all? Throw the magic of the stupid sequencer away, you might as well choose any monosynth- including the ones you probably already own. Very little of any "magic" is in the synthesis itself, which is pretty basic. It's how it animates.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:20 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:38 pm

if you're going to do that, why bother with a 303-alike at all? Throw the magic of the stupid sequencer away, you might as well choose any monosynth- including the ones you probably already own. Very little of any "magic" is in the synthesis itself, which is pretty basic. It's how it animates.
I am not so sure the sequencer is that magical. The TB synthesis is quite simple, but the the filter, slide, and the way accent affects the filter decay are the things that make the unique sound. This is part of the synthesis itself, not part of the sequencer. Robbie spent a good deal of time getting the MIDI implementation as such to allow these same things to happen via MIDI. The other side of this when using a more complex sequencer with the Syntecnos, is you have many more options to the sequence structure such as note decay, oddball time signatures, "parameter locks" per note (knobs send and recieve CC), etc. So I like the flexibility of doing something a bit more unique with basic bass lines.

That being said I am looking forward to playing with the sequencer. With my XOXBOX and Avalon, that both have limited MIDI, I would just program the sequence and sync them via master clock. So don't worry...I will make do!

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 am

The slide is certainly key, that much I will happily agree about :)

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:58 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 am
The slide is certainly key, that much I will happily agree about :)
One of the things that I never played with on the Avalon was the adjustable slide time. I believe the Devilfish mods have this as well. Just to fact check I popped over to Robin's site....he already has some posts about potentially doing Devilfish mods to the TD-3!!!

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Just found a video with a direct comparison of the TD-3 and a Syntecno TeeBee mk3. Apparently, this was driven by MIDI as it appeared the poster was switching lines in a DAW. I HOPE this was the case....because the timing was shit on the TD-3! As for the sound....meh....hey are both what they are...sounded good either way.....aside from the timing of the TD-3! I am sure it will respond the the internal sequencer much better!

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:18 am

What aspect of the timing? Guessing you mean something about the pattern switch?

Otherwise, if anything the TD-3 lacks the charming slight tempo sloppiness of a real 303, I suspect. It's a really minor difference though, and easily down in the neurosis noise. I wouldn't fancy having to pick it out reliably in an A/B.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:18 am
What aspect of the timing? Guessing you mean something about the pattern switch?
It seemes like this person was driving both the Syntecno (obviously) and the TD-3 via MIDI notes...the video appears to show him switching between MIDI tracks to A/B. The TD-3 just seems to lag a bit in the video. I would have to say poor midi implementation on the TD-3, but that isn't what that little box is about! Check it out!

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Argh, that video.

I can't hear the timing thing, but I might be too distracted by how much I don't like what's going on in the video and what looks like a Behringer "Eurorack" mixer to boot (had one as an office mixer years ago, it was pretty shocking).

Edit:

Yeah, I can hear it now, a little stumble before notes sometimes. Weird. Wonder what that is. Never sequenced mine as a sound module mine via MIDI, just synced it up to the Digitakt (which was stupidly fun).

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:50 pm

It looks like the vid was made 2 months ago. Updated firmware has come out since then.

I’ll have to compare my td to my syntechno teebee mkIII
Insert pithy statement here

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:34 pm
Hey, stupid question.. has anyone managed to get the "sync in" to work?

I assume it's a stereo socket like on the Volcas, as the manual makes it look like it does run/stop as well as clock duties. I tried putting the thing into trigger sync 24ppq mode and driving it with a Y-cable (that works with Volcas) from an FH-2, with various versions of clock, run/stop and start trig, stop trig, both trig etc.. I tried swapping signals between tip and sleeve for each config, and nothing.

Has anyone got the TD-3 synced via analogue sync, and if so, what was the setup? Show your working. (10 marks) 8-)
Don't know if you still have that issue. I read that the input signal needs to be at least 2.5V. In my fiddling around it barely triggered at that voltage.
I have modded mine, so it can be triggered from lower signals, such as the pocket operator.
Just an LM358 amplifier circuit and a pot to adjust the input level. Was a tight fit though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kattefjaes
Common Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:17 pm

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 am
Don't know if you still have that issue. I read that the input signal needs to be at least 2.5V. In my fiddling around it barely triggered at that voltage.
I have modded mine, so it can be triggered from lower signals, such as the pocket operator.
Just an LM358 amplifier circuit and a pot to adjust the input level. Was a tight fit though.
Huh. Thanks for the reply, interesting. Last time, I admit, I wussed out and synced it via MIDI. However, maybe I should try again with that info in mind. I mean, 2.5v shouldn't be hard to come back in a Euro system, at least- though I admit I didn't check what the FH-2 was putting out, which was an oversight on my part.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

TD-3 with Sherman Filterbank

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:16 am

This is how the TD-3 sounds through the Sherman Filterbank:

Return to “General Gear”