Behringer teases 303 clone?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Re: Behringer teases 303 clone?

Post by DEEMARKAY » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:59 pm

Can someone post the spec of the power supply brick of the td-3? Mine was lost. I know it is 9v center negative ( :evil: ). But what‘s the amp rating? Also the barrel jack diameter.

JankySwitch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JankySwitch » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 am

300ma (it says it on the back, above the connector).
I've got mine running off a guitar pedal power supply, along with a shred master, super phaser and DD-3. It makes a nice chain to play with.
[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1705660099 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=333333]

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Behringer TD-3 vs Roland TB-3

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:03 am

Analog vs digital.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:35 am

JankySwitch wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 am
I've got mine running off a guitar pedal power supply, along with a shred master, super phaser and DD-3. It makes a nice chain to play with.
Thanks! Sorry, I didn't have my unit at hand. It is with a friend whom I share it with, who also lost the power brick. Have a bunch of multivoltage supplies, but wouldn't really trust him using it correctly, so I'd rather find the matching one and have it labeled and dedicated.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:41 am

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:35 am
JankySwitch wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 am
Thanks! Sorry, I didn't have my unit at hand. It is with a friend whom I share it with, who also lost the power brick. Have a bunch of multivoltage supplies, but wouldn't really trust him using it correctly, so I'd rather find the matching one and have it labeled and dedicated.
I wouldn't worry. Like a real 303, you run it from a guitar pedal supply. This is something even Behringer didn't screw up 8-)

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 am

Yeah 9V, 300 mA, center negative. Any standard pedal power supply should be fine.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:40 am

Nice :) learned something there.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:17 pm
DEEMARKAY wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 am
Don't know if you still have that issue. I read that the input signal needs to be at least 2.5V. In my fiddling around it barely triggered at that voltage.
I have modded mine, so it can be triggered from lower signals, such as the pocket operator.
Just an LM358 amplifier circuit and a pot to adjust the input level. Was a tight fit though.
Huh. Thanks for the reply, interesting. Last time, I admit, I wussed out and synced it via MIDI. However, maybe I should try again with that info in mind. I mean, 2.5v shouldn't be hard to come back in a Euro system, at least- though I admit I didn't check what the FH-2 was putting out, which was an oversight on my part.
By the way there's an issue with my mod in that a plug has to be inserted into the stock sync input in order for the mod input to work. The stock jack is a quite unusual part with the sleeve contact being normaled when no jack is inserted and the tip contact becoming normaled when a jack is inserted.
I made a kicad schematic of the circuit. Wouldn't it be nice to eventually have a whole reverse engineered schematic of the device?

Maffez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maffez » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:52 am

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 pm

I made a kicad schematic of the circuit. Wouldn't it be nice to eventually have a whole reverse engineered schematic of the device?
Great to have some converter for voltages!

Do you mean a transferred schematic of the TD3? We did one in our TD-3 modding project: https://maffez.com/?page_id=70

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:46 am

Maffez wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:52 am
DEEMARKAY wrote:

Do you mean a transferred schematic of the TD3? We did one in our TD-3 modding project: https://maffez.com/?page_id=70
Yes, that one is awesome work! I wanted to use it as reference. But there are some parts of the circuit missing in the schematic. So I reverse engineered just the sync in part. Unfortunately I didn‘t make one for my amplifier circuit though :/
Don‘t know which software yours was made either. Would be handy to have a standard, so multiple people can contribute.

Maffez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maffez » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:42 am

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:46 am
Maffez wrote:
DEEMARKAY wrote:

Yes, that one is awesome work! I wanted to use it as reference. But there are some parts of the circuit missing in the schematic. So I reverse engineered just the sync in part. Unfortunately I didn‘t make one for my amplifier circuit though :/
Don‘t know which software yours was made either. Would be handy to have a standard, so multiple people can contribute.
NC did the lion's share of the schems and with a focus on the sound engine; some of us contributed with bits, so maybe best work in an add-on manner - happy to take your findings on board and link them!

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 am

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Kattefjaes wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:17 pm
DEEMARKAY wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:41 am
Don't know if you still have that issue. I read that the input signal needs to be at least 2.5V. In my fiddling around it barely triggered at that voltage.
I have modded mine, so it can be triggered from lower signals, such as the pocket operator.
Just an LM358 amplifier circuit and a pot to adjust the input level. Was a tight fit though.
Huh. Thanks for the reply, interesting. Last time, I admit, I wussed out and synced it via MIDI. However, maybe I should try again with that info in mind. I mean, 2.5v shouldn't be hard to come back in a Euro system, at least- though I admit I didn't check what the FH-2 was putting out, which was an oversight on my part.
By the way there's an issue with my mod in that a plug has to be inserted into the stock sync input in order for the mod input to work. The stock jack is a quite unusual part with the sleeve contact being normaled when no jack is inserted and the tip contact becoming normaled when a jack is inserted.
It would be awesome to have that, especially for an instrument that is so close to sounding great and cheap enough to get spares units for modding.

Hey, thanks, your post reminded me to have another look at my sync issue. For some reason, on my TD-3.. is syncing now. Not sure what the hell is different.

For anyone reading this who is having the same problems, the sync source is TRIG, it's set to 2PPQ and then I'm just sending a gate from Pam's. Being Pam's, it's easy to just change the multiplier on the channel to play half or double time. It's all working. Not sure why it wasn't before, pretty sure I tried all the options :)

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Maffez wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:42 am
DEEMARKAY wrote:
Maffez wrote:
DEEMARKAY wrote:

NC did the lion's share of the schems and with a focus on the sound engine; some of us contributed with bits, so maybe best work in an add-on manner - happy to take your findings on board and link them!
How do we do this? I can also send a schematics file.
For now I only have these crude pictures.
Unfortunately for a while I won‘t be able to do further reverse engineering because the td-3 is again with my friend who I share it with.
td3_syncinput.png
27D67592-37ED-4A3F-85D7-F882A6AB63E3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DEEMARKAY on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maffez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maffez » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:30 pm

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 pm
Maffez wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:42 am
DEEMARKAY wrote:
Maffez wrote:
DEEMARKAY wrote:

How do we do this? I can also send a schematics file.
For now I only have these crude pictures.
Unfortunately for a while I won‘t be able to do further reverse engineering because the td-3 is again with my friend who I share it with.
1FF9D3F7-3256-4D3D-AC0A-63ACF980F9B0.jpeg
27D67592-37ED-4A3F-85D7-F882A6AB63E3.jpeg
cool - maybe best upload to imgur ("new post", then "post hidden" & share link),so I can link it - or drop it in the Gearslutz Td-3 diy thread (I know some here don't like GS, but that's where we had teh exchange :)

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm

cool - maybe best upload to imgur ("new post", then "post hidden" & share link),so I can link it - or drop it in the Gearslutz Td-3 diy thread (I know some here don't like GS, but that's where we had teh exchange :)
I updated the schematics file and made a proper export, that I uploaded into my previous post.
I don't have an account with either imgur or gearslutz. So if you like you can just download the files from my post and reimplement them at gearslutz or imgur.
I can also pm the kicad file so details can be added, such as capacitor values or partnumbers that I didn't determine.

DEEMARKAY
Common Wiggler

Post by DEEMARKAY » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Hey, thanks, your post reminded me to have another look at my sync issue. For some reason, on my TD-3.. is syncing now. Not sure what the hell is different.

For anyone reading this who is having the same problems, the sync source is TRIG, it's set to 2PPQ and then I'm just sending a gate from Pam's. Being Pam's, it's easy to just change the multiplier on the channel to play half or double time. It's all working. Not sure why it wasn't before, pretty sure I tried all the options :)
Nice, happy to hear it worked out. :spin: <- this was the closest acid smiley availiable - why isn't there a non-spinning one?

Maffez
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Maffez » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:59 pm

DEEMARKAY wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm
I updated the schematics file and made a proper export, that I uploaded into my previous post.
I don't have an account with either imgur or gearslutz. So if you like you can just download the files from my post and reimplement them at gearslutz or imgur.
I can also pm the kicad file so details can be added, such as capacitor values or partnumbers that I didn't determine.
nice! will up the schems at gs - thanks for the work :)

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:08 pm

This is honestly the best 303 clone I’ve heard in forever. I’ve had a few 303s in the past, and jumped on Turnkey sounds FB838 which has the sound, but lacked the sequencer. I’ve played with the xox box and the TT, and somehow this thing is so much better.

Yes I’m gushing, but what a blast!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:50 am

3hands wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:08 pm
This is honestly the best 303 clone I’ve heard in forever. I’ve had a few 303s in the past, and jumped on Turnkey sounds FB838 which has the sound, but lacked the sequencer. I’ve played with the xox box and the TT, and somehow this thing is so much better.

Yes I’m gushing, but what a blast!
Yep, it's surprisingly great- the capacity for happy accidents feels similar to the real thing. I still need to pop mine open and trim the VCF cutoff down a tad, but otherwise, when I need a 303 sound and reach for it, it generally hits the spot. That's always the acid test (pun inevitable).

I don't need it very often, but when I do, it's disconcertingly great.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 pm

This thing is so much fun. And for the price, it's like I'd had the foresight to pick one up used back in the 80s, when my local music store seemed to always have two or three of them sitting around on a shelf for $40.

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 am

Shakespeare wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:05 pm
This thing is so much fun. And for the price, it's like I'd had the foresight to pick one up used back in the 80s, when my local music store seemed to always have two or three of them sitting around on a shelf for $40.
That’s exactly how I feel!!!

I’m still waiting for mine (grumble grumble) as I ordered it back in Feb and then Covid hit, but once I get it, I know I’m going to be beyond excited with it. I’ve played with a friends td3 and I simply can’t wait for mine to arrive! Like Kattefjaes said, I won’t be using it a lot, but when I do, it’s going to be like using the real deal. I can’t wait!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 am

If it helps, Thomann seem to have them in stock right now, in a variety of jaunty colours- including the canonical silver:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_td_3_sr.htm

(They had all the colours last week, but seem to be temporarily out of yellow.)

cllzr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cllzr » Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 am

L&M have the blue model in their online store, they're the only Canadian retailer I can find with any in stock. Been holding out for a black or yellow but I don't think I can wait any longer...

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon May 18, 2020 5:40 am

I love my yellow one , I do miss my bassbot though , had way more ermmmm, bass.

Anyway I’m going to be picking up one of these so I can sequence in bed :)

MyVolts Ripcord - USB to 9V DC power cable compatible with the Behringer TD-3, TD-3-RD, TD-3-SR, TD-3-BU Bass synth
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

olix
Learning to Wiggle

Post by olix » Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 pm

I sold my yellow TD-3 yesterday. But I kept my Volca NuBass ;)

Return to “General Gear”