Expressive E Osmose

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:33 pm

Randy wrote:For all of those who pre-ordered, post some vids when you get comfortable with the keyboard. I was going to go for it, but I think I'm going to go with the Roli Seaboard instead. My reasoning is that, after 55 years of playing piano, I would be too tempted to just play the Osmose like a piano. I want something a bit more, uh, different I think. For me at least, one of the Osmose strengths is actually a weakness. The Roli is still keyboard-ish-enough that I can at least find my way around, and the price is still within reason.
It's a fine line with the Rise.... these are the reasons that attracted me to it, and I have the same hesitations about the Osmose as you. But the execution didn't do it for me. I hope some day they release another version with a material that you can slide over more comfortable. Also, the built in sound engine is a big deal for me. And the lack of MIDI ports on the Rise was annoying. That said, if I had a Shuttle Control at the time, I might have never sold the Rise.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:47 pm

The lack of MIDI is an issue, the main reason I'm still thinking about it. I did kinda like the bundled software 'though.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 am

Randy wrote:The lack of MIDI is an issue, the main reason I'm still thinking about it. I did kinda like the bundled software 'though.
What do you mean? It functions as a MIDI controller.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:06 am

Might be talking about the Rise?
Tried the Rise, never liked the feel of the rubber, found it quite hard to slide on. Also after Scanner's piece about them wanting him to do a PA for them for essentially a beer decided I don't really want to deal with them - apparently they've major VC behind them as well. I know, probably other MI companies do similar stuff but...

Back on topic, preordered this - never preordered anything before :eek:
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 pm

flashheart wrote:Might be talking about the Rise?
Tried the Rise, never liked the feel of the rubber, found it quite hard to slide on.
Yeah, it's a lot of friction. I liked the idea of it, but the playing techniques are too limiting for me, and the skin on my fingertips reacts badly to that kind of friction instead of forming calluses, which is why I've also always written off the Continuum (for myself). But this Osmose is definitely worth a shot, so I pre-ordered.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:19 am

Just noticed that they are now offering a “second chance” preorder at 33% off with a Fall 2020 delivery.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Re: Expressive E Osmose

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Anyone here who preordered from Australia? I just realised this will be the first ever major synth (with a keybed) that I've ordered overseas. Which means shipping will probably be really expensive (I live in Perth). Also add on import taxes :eek:

I guess it will still be way cheaper than buying it here full price (if they ever stock it).

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Re:

Post by Dave Kendall » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 am

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 am
Randy wrote:The lack of MIDI is an issue, the main reason I'm still thinking about it. I did kinda like the bundled software 'though.
Randy might have meant the lack of 5-pin DIN midi ?

For me, that omission, and that it looks difficult if not impossible to configure without a computer put me off the Seaboard rise.
Plus I'm doubtful it would work with USB-MIDI equipped hardware synths like the Kurzweil range, which look like they can handle MPE, although I haven't got a suitable MPE-equipped controller to try that out yet, so I could be wrong there.

Has anyone here tried a Roli seaboard with something like a Kurzweil ?
I'd be interested in any findings.
"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by dubonaire » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:22 am

Dave Kendall wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 am
dubonaire wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 am
Randy might have meant the lack of 5-pin DIN midi ?

For me, that omission, and that it looks difficult if not impossible to configure without a computer put me off the Seaboard rise.
Plus I'm doubtful it would work with USB-MIDI equipped hardware synths like the Kurzweil range, which look like they can handle MPE, although I haven't got a suitable MPE-equipped controller to try that out yet, so I could be wrong there.

Has anyone here tried a Roli seaboard with something like a Kurzweil ?
I'd be interested in any findings.
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 8.23.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 8.20.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave Kendall
Set The Controls . . .

Post by Dave Kendall » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am

I thought Randy was responding to Sinamsis' comments about the Roli. . .

The inclusion of 5-pin DIN MIDI on the Osmose is what swung me to pre-order one. :)
"Everything in moderation, including moderation"

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 am

Sorry gang, I should've been more specific. The lack of MIDI on the Rise was what I was talking about. I'm not overly sharp I suppose (maybe a good thing for a musician?) but I'd like to use the Rise the way I use my Roland A-49. Just plug a cable into the 5-pin DIN socket on the keyboard controller and another 5-pin DIN socket on whatever I want to control. I can't do that without something in the middle with the Rise.

Modular synth manufacturer PM Foundations is working on something for me, a MIDI module that can accept MIDI over USB from something like the Rise. The Roland Aerophone has the same issue. There are current solutions for the Rise but they are quite expensive.

I was really tempted to go for the Osmose but I thought the shipping cost was a bit steep (not their fault I know), I'm leery of getting in on something that is so new and unknown, and for that much money, I'd like to be able to try it first.

But I am looking forward to videos from all of you who did order it.

Randy

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:55 pm

Yes, this cross-topic discussion makes things rather confusing. Of course, I wish we had more to discuss about the Osmose, but besides shipping costs, we're all just waiting at this point.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Dave Kendall wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:49 am
I thought Randy was responding to Sinamsis' comments about the Roli. . .

The inclusion of 5-pin DIN MIDI on the Osmose is what swung me to pre-order one. :)
:doh: I should have read the thread more carefully :hihi:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:54 pm

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:07 pm
Anyone here who preordered from Australia? I just realised this will be the first ever major synth (with a keybed) that I've ordered overseas. Which means shipping will probably be really expensive (I live in Perth). Also add on import taxes :eek:

I guess it will still be way cheaper than buying it here full price (if they ever stock it).
I pre-ordered from the Philippines. I don't think shipping will be super expensive, I don't expect this to be very heavy and it's not too big. It will depend on the shipping method but of course, could well be over USD 100. Consider yourself lucky, I'll be paying about USD 290 in import duty and taxes.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:00 am

sduck wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:55 pm
Yes, this cross-topic discussion makes things rather confusing. Of course, I wish we had more to discuss about the Osmose, but besides shipping costs, we're all just waiting at this point.
True, my fault entirely. Apologies.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:54 pm
I pre-ordered from the Philippines. I don't think shipping will be super expensive,
shipping ( from France) to Swiss is IIRC 120€ in the case of the Osmose.
which i´d consider to be *super* expensive.

i also directly asked for group shippings to make things clear,
and the response was that in our case here ( swiss) no advantage was to have, vs. group shipments.
....things might be open for changes, or might not ? ( I guess not)

there were some more idiosyncratics vs. swiss in the play making the osmose *waaay* more expensive vs. buying from the EU.
just to say
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:24 am

Funky40 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 am
dubonaire wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:54 pm
I pre-ordered from the Philippines. I don't think shipping will be super expensive,
shipping ( from France) to Swiss is IIRC 120€ in the case of the Osmose.
which i´d consider to be *super* expensive.

i also directly asked for group shippings to make things clear,
and the response was that in our case here ( swiss) no advantage was to have, vs. group shipments.
....things might be open for changes, or might not ? ( I guess not)

there were some more idiosyncratics vs. swiss in the play making the osmose *waaay* more expensive vs. buying from the EU.
just to say
I'm probably just used to paying high shipping fees for everything so have a different perspective on what expensive means.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:05 am

I guess this like most things in the development and production stage will be delayed due to covid...probably a good thing as I'm sure I’m not the only preorder who needs more time now to pay for it.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Return to “General Gear”