Expressive E Osmose

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Umcorps wrote:
peripatitis wrote:I can't afford the continnum and this looks like a great take on that idea. Not having cv I/o especially since the e touche has is a bad idea though..
The latest firmware update for the ContinuuMini introduced a new feature where you can configure the pedal input to accept 2 CVs instead. They need padding down a bit cos the range is only up to 3v and they are inputs not outputs but it helps with integration a bit.

Don't know if they will do the same with the Osmose but I wouldn't expect the hardware to be a barrier.
Ok I didn't know that about continuumini, and I was asked by an interested buyer. Damn :)
The case here is different, perhaps they have the time to add proper cv I/O, especially if interest in the osmosis is high.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:29 pm

I preordered one. Hope summer doesn’t mean September.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:12 pm

Damn this thing looks amazing
I love how they took thought into how a piano player is used to the instrument, rather than forcing you to incorporate small keys or odd motions into the play style.
Furthermore, it just looks very attractive, well built, and coming from expressive touche reputation gives me some nice confidence. Been trying to throw money at a solid polyAT keyboard for a long while...looks like expressive e may have won this race

I wonder, do some of the newer motions(ive never seen at least) like strum or shake work with external mpe synths also?

Monofunk
Common Wiggler

Post by Monofunk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:39 pm

That's an attractive size and form factor. The preorder price seems fair. Sounds great, too.

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:43 pm

We seem to know that the keys are sensitive and responsize, and that when you transition to the after-touch section it has a different feel. Has anyone seen/read if these feel more like unweighted or weighted keys? Or are they simply too different to name with such terms?

Karl_Joseph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Karl_Joseph » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:24 pm

It’s hard to tell, but the keys look solid. I hope the production version has these good looking “solid” keys. If there is a bait and switch then I’ll likely cancel my order. $1079 just seems too good to be true compared to other offerings in the market.

Did anyone else notice Cuckoos prototype has 8 encoders?
- KARL

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:25 pm

This looks great. Much better than the McMillen K-board Pro 4 I waited 2+ years for. And only slightly more expensive, and comes with a very capable sound engine. I'm in, preordered.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

sparks
Acid Connoisseur

Post by sparks » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 am

As many have said; that controller + EaganMatrix = Instant preorder for me. :sb:

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:43 am

Does anyone know if the Deluge is able to record and transmit aftertouch?
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:45 am

Ed
November 21, 2019 at 9:47 am Reply
The Osmose is fully compatible with Haken Audio’s CVC (16 CV outputs) and Evaton’s µCVC (4 or 8 outputs). The connection is through dedicated high speed i2c, no Midi or USB required.
:cloud:

whyfarer
Common Wiggler

Post by whyfarer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am

Karl_Joseph wrote:It’s hard to tell, but the keys look solid. I hope the production version has these good looking “solid” keys. ...

Did anyone else notice Cuckoos prototype has 8 encoders?
The technical specs on the expressive e website cite 8 knobs/encoders, as well as two continuous pedal inputs. Should be plenty of room for adjusting the voices on the fly.

"Two continuous pedal inputs, assignable to sustain or flexible synth parameters"

Also, the webpage for their a.k.a keys states that they have a balanced physical resistance. So, hopefully solid and tactile to use.

"When you press a key on Osmose, you’ll feel a subtle but very carefully calibrated physical resistance, giving you absolutely precise continuous control for every note. Too strong a resistance would result in a keyboard that is difficult and unsatisfying to play. The A.K.A. © mechanism has been fine-tuned to achieve the perfect balance."

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:34 am

Does anyone know if it'll be able to do channel rotation akin to the Linnstrument, so that MPE can be achieved on a polytimbral instrument?

phollebon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phollebon » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:42 pm

I can resist anything but temptation...(pre-ordered) :flamey:

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Very very promising instrument here, and that pre-order deal is borderline irrefusable. Cuckoo's reveal video for it says that Eagen Matrix can do subtractive/additive/FM etc synthesis but I need to hear what that actually sounds like before I bite. I'm just not that interested in doing the glassy physical modeling stuff all the time. But that level of expressive control over VA/FM synth waveforms, to me, would be :cloud: :love: :yay: :deadbanana: :cloud: :love: :yay: :deadbanana:

Will be watching closely from the eaves...

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:08 pm

deftinwulf wrote:Very very promising instrument here, and that pre-order deal is borderline irrefusable. Cuckoo's reveal video for it says that Eagen Matrix can do subtractive/additive/FM etc synthesis but I need to hear what that actually sounds like before I bite. I'm just not that interested in doing the glassy physical modeling stuff all the time. But that level of expressive control over VA/FM synth waveforms, to me, would be :cloud: :love: :yay: :deadbanana: :cloud: :love: :yay: :deadbanana:

Will be watching closely from the eaves...
[video][/video]

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:55 pm

This video answered my questions about controlling other instruments. Looks to be very well thought out.

[video][/video]

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:41 am

GrantB wrote:This video answered my questions about controlling other instruments. It looks to be very well thought out.
Cool, because it's precisely the REV2 and Peak that I had in mind when I ordered this.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:23 pm

I just got an email from them- apparently, they’re cutting off the pre-order discount period more than a month early. With “only a few hours” notice..

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Wow good thing I preordered yesterday :hihi: :party:

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:30 pm

dubonaire wrote:
GrantB wrote:This video answered my questions about controlling other instruments. It looks to be very well thought out.
Cool, because it's precisely the REV2 and Peak that I had in mind when I ordered this.
I was happy to see that they had thought about monosynths too. It will be very handy to play a lead on say the slim phatty with full expression/bends while playing chords on another keyboard with the left hand. I have a Continuumini but it doesn't send velocity and you can't really play fast trills on it. It also has no midi ports, so additional translation is necessary.

I'm hoping the Osmose will play well with Sculpture. The Eaganmatrix can do some nice physical modeling sounds but it's _much_ faster to get a sound in Sculpture.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:47 pm

nangu wrote:I just got an email from them- apparently, they’re cutting off the pre-order discount period more than a month early. With “only a few hours” notice..

Thanks for the heads up. I usually hem and haw my way out preorder windows, but not today; just got it in. Tis the season of preorders. In the last week I’ve preordered the Osmose, the Synth Tech Hyperion, and the Tesla Cybertruck. But in a way, they’re all related. If you’ve spied the dash of the Cybertruck you’ll notice more than enough room for eurorack case or two, and a 49 key MPE keyboard.
What a time to be alive; going extinct never felt so good.

???
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ??? » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:18 pm

Damn I've just preordered one! I never preorder anything, but this one got me!
I've always wanted to try the eagan matrix. Looks like an amazing and fun synth!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Well... I preordered too... I was going to wait, but I had a tall boy of Chimay (not as good as I remember it), read the post about the deal ending, and decided to commit. The ability to be refunded if you change your mind is reassuring, but I suspect I won't change my mind... I've been debating revisiting the Rise, but the material just wasn't pleasant to play. It was nice to have an alternative to a traditional piano style, while still being reminiscent of one. I like the slide feature and I'll missing not having that in the Osmose. But in the end the silicone like coating of the Rise would bunch up and ruined the experience for me. And I can't imagine that it will last. This seems like a better compromise.

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Preordered this morning. 40% off is just silly... it looks and sounds absolutely divine, I can only imagine it getting better as they develop the final version. I think they will surprise a little us along the way

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:02 pm

For all of those who pre-ordered, post some vids when you get comfortable with the keyboard. I was going to go for it, but I think I'm going to go with the Roli Seaboard instead. My reasoning is that, after 55 years of playing piano, I would be too tempted to just play the Osmose like a piano. I want something a bit more, uh, different I think. For me at least, one of the Osmose strengths is actually a weakness. The Roli is still keyboard-ish-enough that I can at least find my way around, and the price is still within reason.

Return to “General Gear”