Novation Circuit Mono Station

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Estes » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 pm

The funny thing pf this device is that I use ot mostly as a pad controller to play notes with scale function. I mostly play on my eurorack but not only. When I play with my band its a little bass mono station. I like a lot the performance friendly design and having a sequencer woth clock divisions etc. Cant say it enough how underrated this thing is compared to more expensive roöand boutique stuff. I mean at least the knobs are big and its analog.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:26 pm

I just recieved it, it is really nice and pairs very well with my 0-coast; the sequencer is fun, fast and easy to use. The Plocks per step makes it a nice drum machine too. Best money I spent in a long time.

The only thing is it costs 249€ now in Spain(microfusa.com), I could have saved 25€ extra.

16 0sc 1 , 8 osc2 and 8 cv patterns per session, 32 sessions total. 64 patch memory.

I wish it had the BS2 acid filter but for the price I can not complain at all, very good value

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Novation circuit is a real good piece of hardware. I use mine with CVOCD to interface with the modular. Used alone it can be super quick to sketch out ideas and it's very intuitive interface is a great bonus.

Not sure why I held back on snapping up this offer of the mono station....

In the end I gave in and ordered it.
:help:

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:49 am

Noodle Twister wrote:Novation circuit is a real good piece of hardware. I use mine with CVOCD to interface with the modular. Used alone it can be super quick to sketch out ideas and it's very intuitive interface is a great bonus.
I only have it for two days and I love it, best spent money in a long time, period.

I am going to try using it this way, OSC1 sequencer for internal sound, OSC 2 sequencer to run 0-coast via midi and MOD Seq to run DFAM.

The down side is I will have to turn down OSC 2, as at the moment is not possible to slave OSC 2 to OSC1 sequencer, I sent an email to Novation support to see if they can implement this mode in a future update; this would make mono station best eurorack sequencer for the money, by a long way...

RhythmDroid
Common Wiggler

Post by RhythmDroid » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:39 pm

The value for the money on this is INSANE.
It is a truly fat sounding analog synth with a fun sequencer.
IG: RhythmDroid

All my eurorack for sale at once: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=224655

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:57 pm

been playing with mine all weekend. great box. fast and fun sequencer for sure. super happy with it... especially for the price. the patch flipping drum machine stuff... super unique sounding.

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Patched mono station CV and gate into a DM77 drum module.

Patched clock out from mono station into clock divider and from there to a Prok kick drum.

Play the sequence , turn the knobs and hit the mutate button every few bars.

Musical fun for sure :party: It's early day's but I like it so far.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:19 pm

I was decided to resist the temptation, being sure that I don´t need it...then saw the "patch flip" feature and that was too much...ordered... :deadbanana:

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 am

I'm not as enamored with the sound as some people are but the interface and workflow are incredibly well designed and it is fun to use.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:54 am

dubonaire wrote:I'm not as enamored with the sound as some people are but the interface and workflow are incredibly well designed and it is fun to use.
Sound is up to you, it is an analogue synth after all, maybe its your limitations?

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:13 am

Daisy wrote:
dubonaire wrote:I'm not as enamored with the sound as some people are but the interface and workflow are incredibly well designed and it is fun to use.
Sound is up to you, it is an analogue synth after all, maybe its your limitations?
ugh. can’t we just assume that a) people’s opinions are valid and b) we all have enough experience to have enough insight to have those opinions? posts like these are needlessly challenging. not all synths (analog or otherwise) sound the same nor have they ever.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 am

I´m with you...sounds OK, not great
I don´t dig the overdrive/distortion stages...for me the sweet spots area is in the clean, roland-ish sounds, hitting the filter with gentle levels

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:05 pm

anselmi wrote:
I don´t dig the overdrive/distortion stages...for me the sweet spots area is in the clean, roland-ish sounds, hitting the filter with gentle levels
Totally agree. It does rolandish sounds pretty well. I've not only found the distortion pretty much useless, but the Type II distortion (which is supposed to be fuzz) does absolutely nothing, and Type III sounds just like Type I. Maybe the fuzz isn't working on mine?

I need to spend more time with it and integrate it with either my eurorack or my volcas.

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:32 pm

fac wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Totally agree. It does rolandish sounds pretty well. I've not only found the distortion pretty much useless, but the Type II distortion (which is supposed to be fuzz) does absolutely nothing, and Type III sounds just like Type I. Maybe the fuzz isn't working on mine?

I need to spend more time with it and integrate it with either my eurorack or my volcas.
That's funny.. I was just about to respond with "I really dig the type 2 distortion" lol. It's subtle but I like it. Didn't know it was supposed to be a fuzz though. maybe in that context I'd have felt differently.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:32 pm

anselmi wrote:
Yep, agree with that.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Is not the best sounding synth, I agree, but the P locks/patch swap per step make it a very powerful one. The sequencer is a joy to use, even though I have found a couple of bugs. I also sent some features requests to novation, if they implement them it will become a must have.. :hihi:
Last edited by seta666 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler

Post by Orgia Mode » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Can you get angled cheeks for these?
I have an Akai MAX49 and Arturia MiniBRute, both with CV out, but I can't play piano. :lol: I just got them for testing circuits with real-world tools. I think this would be a little more accessible for me.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:22 pm

dubonaire wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Yep, agree with that.
I’ve found the distortion to work ok with drum machines , not the fuzz setting though.
Novation should work on an analogue effects box with this seq, be a lot of fun.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

evilspock
Common Wiggler

Post by evilspock » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:43 pm

I have to agree with everyone here that I don't feel the sound of the synth is mind-blowing. HOWEVER, one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is what an awesome all-in-one package it is! And by that I mean, synth engine, sequencer (with CV and MIDI OUT!), stored synth patches and sequence patterns, AND a nice enjoyable tactile multiple-key playing surface (with MIDI OUT!) all in one small unit!

Before this, I had to haul around a separate device like a Keystep for finger input for my mini-me tabletop synths, with this little guy there is no need! A wonderful traveling instrument, it has taken up permanent residency in my go-everywhere backpack. I suspect this thing would pair beautifully with a 1010 Blackbox, hope to find out next year.

Cheers to Novation for an awesome design. Guess now I need to consider getting a Circuit. :help:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:51 pm

evilspock wrote:I have to agree with everyone here that I don't feel the sound of the synth is mind-blowing. HOWEVER, one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is what an awesome all-in-one package it is! And by that I mean, synth engine, sequencer (with CV and MIDI OUT!), stored synth patches and sequence patterns, AND a nice enjoyable tactile multiple-key playing surface (with MIDI OUT!) all in one small unit!

Before this, I had to haul around a separate device like a Keystep for finger input for my mini-me tabletop synths, with this little guy there is no need! A wonderful traveling instrument, it has taken up permanent residency in my go-everywhere backpack. I suspect this thing would pair beautifully with a 1010 Blackbox, hope to find out next year.

Cheers to Novation for an awesome design. Guess now I need to consider getting a Circuit. :help:
I think we all agree with that...this is a great package and at this price it´s a steal, period.

You just spend this number in the sequencer alone and hey, you got an analog synth with patch memories and good modulation options fully integrated with the sequencer and even an audio processor with a multimode filter, gating and some distortion

and about the sound, it´s not the best analog but I think it sounds better than the individual voices on the Analog 4

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:52 pm

Pretty much all of the presets sound very "Guitar Center" to me but boot it up with an init patch and you get an idea of what the raw sound of it is like and it's honestly quite good. I spent some time just playing it like I would any other mono synth from an external keyboard and was very impressed. Now the challenge is to take advantage of that amazing sequencer without overdoing it. It's tempting to just twist knobs randomly but the range on some of the parameters is impressive. Very slight movements can have a drastic effect on the sound.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:40 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:Pretty much all of the presets sound very "Guitar Center" to me but boot it up with an init patch and you get an idea of what the raw sound of it is like and it's honestly quite good. I spent some time just playing it like I would any other mono synth from an external keyboard and was very impressed. Now the challenge is to take advantage of that amazing sequencer without overdoing it. It's tempting to just twist knobs randomly but the range on some of the parameters is impressive. Very slight movements can have a drastic effect on the sound.
good to know!
I´m looking for a bleep box to make add to some electro set and this seems to fit perfectly

I just saw that you can disconnect the envelope from the VCA and then it will be drive from the key gate signal, so it´s a lot like the SH/Polysix/juno way. this is great to have the envelope just for the filter.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:47 am

Deal over and SRP now back to £480.

Title amended accordingly. May as well keep this as a general Circuit Mono Station thread.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:35 am

Licudi wrote:Deal over and SRP now back to £480.
Title amended accordingly. May as well keep this as a general Circuit Mono Station thread.
239€ in spain, 265€ including shipping in germany.. :mrgreen:

https://www.microfusa.com/tienda/es/nov ... LHEALw_wcB

https://m.thomann.de/es/novation_circui ... mYEALw_wcB

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:46 pm

chvad wrote:
Daisy wrote:
ugh. can’t we just assume that a) people’s opinions are valid and b) we all have enough experience to have enough insight to have those opinions? posts like these are needlessly challenging. not all synths (analog or otherwise) sound the same nor have they ever.
Ugh No. I maintain it has to be limitations. You can do so much with the circuit. Well some of us can it seems, others not so much. I think it’s important to offer an alternative view as sometimes a synth can get over looked due to the inability and vocal ability of the user.

Return to “General Gear”