behringer teases...4-note poly Model-D???

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:19 pm

anselmi wrote:the Poly D is a enhaced Mini clone, so why could it be compared with the Minilogues?
Because of its four-note capability. The Poly D is either the most expensive Behringer monosynth by far, in which case the chorus and stereo-outs are odd, or it's a somewhat-hobbled polysynth that is priced £100 above Behringer's own DeepMind 12. If you can accept it on its own terms as a very peculiar hybrid it's easier to come to terms with. It’s still going to be a harder sell for the marketing people.

If that Moog sound is essential then four Model Ds for £300 more might be a better buy. That would give 12 VCOs and four full voices. You'd need a MIDI-CV converter, though.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:53 pm

...Reminds me of the Timbre Wolf...
----------------------

Flounderguts

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Flounderguts wrote:...Reminds me of the Timbre Wolf...
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: Gold!

thispoison
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thispoison » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: Gold!
Why?
Where have I seen you before?
Same place you saw me, I expect.
I've got a good face for memories.

https://soundcloud.com/thispoison-1

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:18 pm

:lolspew:

Funch

Post by Funch » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Licudi wrote:
anselmi wrote:the Poly D is a enhaced Mini clone, so why could it be compared with the Minilogues?

If that Moog sound is essential then four Model Ds for £300 more might be a better buy. That would give 12 VCOs and four full voices. You'd need a MIDI-CV converter, though.
during a recent holiday here in the US, both the Model D and Neutron could be purchased new for $200. I agree, makes more sense to poly chain the Model D then to purchase the Para D.

And for guitar players, 6 model D's each with its own midi channel assigned to each separate string on the guitar ( mono mode for most guitar pitch to midi controllers) allows for a versatile analog polyphonic synth.

For example, a moog bass could be assigned to the low strings and a lead tone for the remaining high strings.

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Just watched a few of the demos.... Sounds damn good to me.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 am

Funch wrote:the Para D.
:hihi: parody :lol:

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

I think Behringer would get a lot less hate if they'd just do their own thing. I don't mind them making cheap synths, but literally replicating classics, even in the looks department, feels cheap. I don't like the Neutron and the Crave. But at least they're original Behringer synths. The other ones are different. It's like buying a car that looks like a Ferrari, acts like a Ferrari, but isn't an actual Ferrari. The logo says 'Ferrira'. Sure. It's still a damn good car. But it would feel weird - to me at least - to drive it.

Hope that makes sense.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:50 am

Funch wrote:
And for guitar players, 6 model D's each with its own midi channel assigned to each separate string on the guitar ( mono mode for most guitar pitch to midi controllers) allows for a versatile analog polyphonic synth.

For example, a moog bass could be assigned to the low strings and a lead tone for the remaining high strings.
That has the potential to be fucking awesome with the right patch!!!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 am

Mend wrote:I don't like the Neutron and the Crave. But at least they're original Behringer synths.
The Crave is a Mother-32 ripoff. So much so that when early Crave buyers tried to make head or tale of it the solution was to download the M32 manual.

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 am

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Funch wrote:the Para D.
:hihi: parody :lol:
Parody parade.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 am

Mend wrote:I think Behringer would get a lot less hate if they'd just do their own thing. I don't mind them making cheap synths, but literally replicating classics, even in the looks department, feels cheap. I don't like the Neutron and the Crave. But at least they're original Behringer synths. The other ones are different. It's like buying a car that looks like a Ferrari, acts like a Ferrari, but isn't an actual Ferrari. The logo says 'Ferrira'. Sure. It's still a damn good car. But it would feel weird - to me at least - to drive it.

Hope that makes sense.
Exactly how I feel about it

It's naff

And this Poly D looks boring

Funch

Post by Funch » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:00 pm

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Mend wrote:I think Behringer would get a lot less hate if they'd just do their own thing. I don't mind them making cheap synths, but literally replicating classics, even in the looks department, feels cheap. I don't like the Neutron and the Crave. But at least they're original Behringer synths. The other ones are different. It's like buying a car that looks like a Ferrari, acts like a Ferrari, but isn't an actual Ferrari. The logo says 'Ferrira'. Sure. It's still a damn good car. But it would feel weird - to me at least - to drive it.

Hope that makes sense.

It's naff

It is kind of funny though how Uri is using a companies product line to compete against that company. However when you hear the carve and mother32 in a side by side comparison, Uri doesn't get the full dynamics of sound quite right. Same thing when I compare the Model D to my MiniMoog Voyager.

viewtopic.php?t=212796&start=150

The Behringer build quality also suffers when compared to Moog. Moog uses nuts on the jacks and they don't wobble like Uri's through hole jacks. The octave select switch on the moog have a very solid feel. Uri's switches feel cheap, but he has to cut corners somewhere to reach his price low point.

But the price is good, especially if you wait for holiday sales.

I do have a Model D and I purchased the Neutron for its utility patch points and analog delay. The $214 purchase price for the Neutron was all I was willing to pay for it though.

And I'm still wondering if I should have just saved the money from buying Uri's cheap ass, law suit happy, ethical dilemma crap, and eventually just purchased the real thing, ie, a Moog Matriarch.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:40 pm

After Nick Batt's somewhat unenthusiastic review of the Poly D the other day, it was interesting to hear him confirm on Sonic Talk that he felt uneasy saying it sounded good given that it's based on other companies' designs. Mind you, that admission was only dragged out of him after guest Tori Letzler's outright condemnation of Behringer. A refreshing change from Gaz Williams' puppy-like adoration.

Mend
Common Wiggler

Post by Mend » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Licudi wrote:
Mend wrote:I don't like the Neutron and the Crave. But at least they're original Behringer synths.
The Crave is a Mother-32 ripoff. So much so that when early Crave buyers tried to make head or tale of it the solution was to download the M32 manual.
Wasn't aware. That's pretty funny though.

Feinstrom
Common Wiggler

Post by Feinstrom » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:23 am

Timber Wolf is FAR superior!
- four separate voices with four filters!
- four-voice polyphonic sequencer!
- four sparate outputs!
- four everythings!
Just four times bettererer, four the win.
:party:

Cheers,
Bert

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 am

...I'm secretly enjoying the Timbre Wolf hijacking of this subject.

I can't help but think that this new offering seems more akin to the Mono/Poly, and less as a 'poor man's Matriarch'. I am impressed with the sound (watching Loopop's and Nick's vids). The (I'll call it) paraphony is a bonus, allowing simple chords from what's essentially a monosynth; seems like a winner to me. I was kinda anticipating the Pro-1 and the K-2; but this may be a better alternative to those particular designs.

All complaining about their 'copying vs innovating' aside, the core sound is very warm. Seems at this point that they've got enough (reverse-engineered, perhaps?) designs now that they can simply assemble synths as they see fit. [Keybeds, their now-standard IO panel incl MIDI/USB, 3340 chips, etc., etc., fitted to whatever block-diagram voice layout.]

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am

ObsoleteModular wrote:

Hope that makes sense.

It's naff

K.

Move on folks... No need to slag or dissect something you have strong predisposition to hate.

I don't need this synth at all but I think this would be a great first synth especially for someone who doesn't really "get" monosynths and why you don't need chords. I'm definitely getting a TD3 or two when I see the right sale this weekend.
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

Funch

Post by Funch » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:53 pm

gentle_attack wrote:

Move on folks... No need to slag or dissect something you have strong predisposition to hate.
hate is a strong word in this case don't you think? We could all stand to move on, don't you think?

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:43 am

There you go, pre order and get it in 6 weeks...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_poly_d.htm
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:20 am

Surely the increased size is the reason to buy, the fact it’s not poly doesn’t matter to me.

You get four Osc that marry well together according to the sonicstate review.
If you’re looking for a poly no, if your looking for a more usable boog, then hell yes.

Nick was also right, a time based effect would of been a lot more fun than the chorus.
Regardless I’m getting one for sure, right after I’ve paid off my Soma drum machine.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Licudi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:53 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:Nick was also right, a time based effect would of been a lot more fun than the chorus.
The chorus and stereo outs makes sense for chords, IMO, but on a mono far less so. The other thing is that there's a lot of good monosynths available for £600-700 so this is Behringer attempting to move upmarket where margins are bigger.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:03 am

Just watched the sonicstate video and I think it looks and sounds great. If any other company had made this I think people would be falling all over themselves. B should have created a small satellite company to release all these synths under. They could have just hired a few people and then did massive social media pushes showing the employees hanging out, playing pranks on each other and putting lots of rubber bands around watermelons in slow motion.

3hands
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 pm

People hate it because it’s Behringer....

It’s actually hilarious to watch. It’s a great synth at a solid price point. You either buy it, or you don’t. But don’t tell me why I shouldn’t buy it. Let me make that decision on my own.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “General Gear”