Tom Oberheim is back again

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

talfred
Wiggling with Experience

Tom Oberheim is back again

Post by talfred » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:22 am

There's a pretty interesting interview with Tom over at Music Radar

He talks about the history of his company and how he started out. And there's a hint of a new product coming out (by the end of the year..? That Eurorack SEM maybe?), and he also says he's working on a polyphonic synth for next year. I could start saving up for that already now.

Tom seems like a nice man, I wish him well with his plans! Hope there's some good people around him that will help him get his plans realized!
Last edited by talfred on Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:47 am

Oh man!!! Best Christmas present ever!!!

Very excited for this!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:45 am

Here's the interview link. Interesting read regardless of whether any of this comes to fruition.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tom-obe ... -than-ever

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 am

It’s been years since we first heard of a SEM module...

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:36 am

beyourdog wrote:It’s been years since we first heard of a SEM module...
Yes since 1974 :miley:

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:11 am

:yay: Love Tom! How awesome of Gibson to return the Oberheim trademark, both Tom and Dave have come full circle.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:42 am

New products coming? If this was anyone else, I'd take their word for it. When Dave announces something, you know it's right around the corner or more likely, available now. With Tom it's a dozen corners and four years from now.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:20 am

jonne74 wrote:New products coming? If this was anyone else, I'd take their word for it. When Dave announces something, you know it's right around the corner or more likely, available now. With Tom it's a dozen corners and four years from now.
To his credit, he has released two of his four announced products, and those were complete successes. Pretty good all considering.

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:22 pm

When I spoke to a friend of Tom's about cloning the SEM for Eurorack, he hinted Tom had plans, so while you can duplicate the sound with our thing, it's not obvious at all that what we did was SEM-ish. I thought I'd leave the "no need for imagination or creativity" part for Uli.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Randy wrote:When I spoke to a friend of Tom's about cloning the SEM for Eurorack, he hinted Tom had plans, so while you can duplicate the sound with our thing, it's not obvious at all that what we did was SEM-ish.
what "thing" are you referring to?

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Don't want to hijack the thread, sent you a PM.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Great news and more happy he seems to be in good health.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:08 pm

thevegasnerve wrote:Great news and more happy he seems to be in good health.
That is how we should feel.

Tom is a super cool down to earth dude. I've met him a few times and am just glad he is still kicking. We should all be happy for his contributions to electronic music and try not to be selfish with expectations. He is not a young man but a pioneer in this craft that we so love.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:59 am

There’s been subtle hint of a poly for a good while. I own a Two Voice Pro, so would happily sell a limb for a new, fully Oberheim poly... but I suspect I’d have to - you can bet your life that if it does ever appear, it’ll be Moog One Money.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:43 am

GavRL wrote:There’s been subtle hint of a poly for a good while. I own a Two Voice Pro, so would happily sell a limb for a new, fully Oberheim poly... but I suspect I’d have to - you can bet your life that if it does ever appear, it’ll be Moog One Money.
He spoke of his desire to create a fully programmable polyphonic synth based on the Four/Eight Voice system. I don’t know how realistic that is, and it seems as if he disappeared not long after Knobcon 2017, shutting down his productions in favor of directing everyone to Dave Smith’s site and the OB-6. Maybe he did that to focus on a new version of the Eight Voice?
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:43 am

GavRL wrote:you can bet your life that if it does ever appear, it’ll be Moog One Money.

And totally worth it!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:58 am

3hands wrote:
GavRL wrote:you can bet your life that if it does ever appear, it’ll be Moog One Money.

And totally worth it!
I don’t doubt... sadly it’ll count me out though.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:58 am

It would be ideal IMO if he contracted his production or partnered with Dave again. At least get some Sequenti-heim SEM production up and running and just offer one model with midi and cv/gate. Then maybe a poly SEM controller/interface so people could build a poly by adding another SEM as money permitted.

They could even make it a dual filter SEM unit with the Prophet 6 filter added in series. :love:

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 am

estin wrote:It would be ideal IMO if he contracted his production or partnered with Dave again. At least get some Sequenti-heim SEM production up and running and just offer one model with midi and cv/gate. Then maybe a poly SEM controller/interface so people could build a poly by adding another SEM as money permitted.

They could even make it a dual filter SEM unit with the Prophet 6 filter added in series. :love:
Sems are over
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:45 am

^ That is what they said about analog in the mid 80's. If they don't bring production back Uli will just make it.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:32 pm

estin wrote:It would be ideal IMO if he contracted his production or partnered with Dave again. At least get some Sequenti-heim SEM production up and running and just offer one model with midi and cv/gate. Then maybe a poly SEM controller/interface so people could build a poly by adding another SEM as money permitted.
this is what he did with the new SEMs, and I don´t think it´s a product that can stand in today´s world of sub-500 monosynths

lot of people have the romantic idea about support classic manufacturers but the fact is that SEMs was around for some years and sales went down to the point of they retired the product
try the Pro-2, it have both kind of filters coupled with 4 digital oscillators and great modulation capabilities

DJMaytag wrote:He spoke of his desire to create a fully programmable polyphonic synth based on the Four/Eight Voice system. I don’t know how realistic that is, and it seems as if he disappeared not long after Knobcon 2017, shutting down his productions in favor of directing everyone to Dave Smith’s site and the OB-6. Maybe he did that to focus on a new version of the Eight Voice?
isn´t the OB-6 a kind of "poly-SEM" synth? AFAIK the 6 voice cards have basically the SEM audio circuit

GavRL
Common Wiggler

Post by GavRL » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:07 pm

anselmi wrote:
this is what he did with the new SEMs, and I don´t think it´s a product that can stand in today´s world of sub-500 monosynths

lot of people have the romantic idea about support classic manufacturers but the fact is that SEMs was around for some years and sales went down to the point of they retired the product
try the Pro-2, it have both kind of filters coupled with 4 digital oscillators and great modulation capabilities

DJMaytag wrote:He spoke of his desire to create a fully programmable polyphonic synth based on the Four/Eight Voice system. I don’t know how realistic that is, and it seems as if he disappeared not long after Knobcon 2017, shutting down his productions in favor of directing everyone to Dave Smith’s site and the OB-6. Maybe he did that to focus on a new version of the Eight Voice?
isn´t the OB-6 a kind of "poly-SEM" synth? AFAIK the 6 voice cards have basically the SEM audio circuit
as lovely as the OB-6 is, it doesn’t touch the SEMs / Two Voice that Tom released himself. They sound incredible. A new 4 or 8 voice would be very special.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:00 am

I hope Tom will carry on making more Two Voice Pros -- this one got discontinued too quickly (i. e. way before I could save up enough pennies to buy one).

Stephen

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by chvad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 am

GavRL wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:07 pm
anselmi wrote:

as lovely as the OB-6 is, it doesn’t touch the SEMs / Two Voice that Tom released himself. They sound incredible. A new 4 or 8 voice would be very special.
It's true and I don't know why. I have a SEM and an OB-6 sitting right here and the OB-6 is fucking great but the SEM has got some kinda mojo I cant really pinpoint.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:05 pm

chvad wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:22 am
It's true and I don't know why. I have a SEM and an OB-6 sitting right here and the OB-6 is fucking great but the SEM has got some kinda mojo I cant really pinpoint.
This is a good question. I think the first and most obvious difference is probably gain-staging for poly vs. mono (i.e. why the pro-5 doesn't sound like 5 pro-1s). That's going to suck some of the "oomph" out of the basic oscillator sound. I'm guessing parts tolerance might also be a factor since even the newer SEM didn't quite have that same super mid-range phasey-ness that the original did (this was verified by someone who changed the modern cap in the filter to a vintage "tropical fish" cap and got the "old" filter sound).
And then I have to wonder about the tuning control on the OB-6 vs. SEM. TO apparently had to ask DSI to "loosen" the tuning control on the OB-6, though it really no less rigid to me than the Pro-6.
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Gear”