Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ektoquip
Common Wiggler

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by ektoquip » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:19 pm

KSS wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:59 pm
ektoquip wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:21 pm
Perhaps, but these were non-players at the time.
Arp and Moog completely ruled the lead monosynth market and there was little other competition for marketshare.
No one really cared.
I guess Ray told ya so?

The mid 70's which your examples reference had stores filled with other synths besides ARP and moog. I was there. It's a memory for me. Not a historical idea to be read on the net.
Guess your Alzheimer's is kicking in.

I was there, too, owning pretty much everything you've mentioned thus far.
But in one respect you are correct, gotta give you that. The stores were filled with other brands. They sat there in the stores because no one bought them.
They were non-players at the time. Arp and Moog completely ruled the lead monosynth market and there was little other competition for marketshare.
KSS wrote: People are going to disagree. People have strong opinions different from our own. The best we can do is listen and make effort to find any signal hidden amongst the noise, and take it to heart and mind when it speaks true.
I guess we'll see how pissy you get or if you really mean what you say.
For each friendly post, my brain will donate dopamine to my brain.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Yes I did. Meee-yoooww

IMG_0175.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:01 pm

Oh yes, there's that message.
@ektoquip
It's not pissy to follow up and share facts. Got in touch with NAMM, whose historian put me in touch with the source for 70's sales figures. Those tell the true story and it's not the one you're pushing.

@tehyar, Looks nice! Hope you enjoy it as much as the OG.

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 pm

I was getting some bleed of osc 1 when turned off, all modulation turned off, osc 2 off. But haven't been able to repeat it. So I guess...I don't know.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:00 am

Has anyone opened of their Cat (🙀) to see if the patch points are clearly labeled? I kind of want to get one, but only if it’d be easy to add/mod VCO and Filter out options. I’m not a fan of Behringer’s choice of what they chose to make patch points on (other than the Neut of course)

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:23 am

@eqtoquip, Moog and Arp were the reference at the time. But what you call non-players were the ones selling. A lot. Moog was what Moog is now, a household name that was vastly imitated as not everybody could afford Moog. And to some extent, Korg, Yamaha and such were seen as the Behringer of that time.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 am

tehyar wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:52 pm
Yes I did. Meee-yoooww

IMG_0175.jpg
How do you like it!? I’ve wanted that sound for a while.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 am

Biff wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:00 am
Has anyone opened of their Cat (🙀) to see if the patch points are clearly labeled? I kind of want to get one, but only if it’d be easy to add/mod VCO and Filter out options. I’m not a fan of Behringer’s choice of what they chose to make patch points on (other than the Neut of course)
Bump for question. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I tried google but nothing came up for mods (which is the cue for someone to point me to an obvious spot like it’s my first day on the information super highway).

TOPLEL
Common Wiggler

Post by TOPLEL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:54 pm

So i got this one as my second Behringer synth and i kinda hate it. (my first one was a boog and it became my favourite synth, i like it more than my DIY modular)

Here are some of my problems:
- envelopes can't go slow enough but also not as snappy as on the boog, the range is much better on the model d
- it just doesn't respond to lower midi notes while the model d can still receive them
- i hate to play it in mono mode due to low note priority, why can't i change this like on the d?
- patch points are much "lamer" than on the model d
- i would prefer rotating pots instead of sliders
- it doesnt respond to my modwheel (the D does respond)

So it seems like most of my problems are firmware related.

But the most interesting thing is that i could get it to sound almost the same as the boog with 2 detuned saw oscs, resonant filter bass sounds while i expected something more unique. (since i like the boog i don't count this one as a minus.)
So now i kinda feel like i bought a downgraded boog.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:23 am

Biff wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 am
Biff wrote:
Bump for question. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I tried google but nothing came up for mods (which is the cue for someone to point me to an obvious spot like it’s my first day on the information super highway).
Hi, it’s me, future Biff. If anyone else has this question, it is super easy to tap individual outs for the waveforms, noise, LFO, input pwm and so on. I got one from perfect circuit for $240, so when you consider the fact that you get 2x 3340s, 2 envelopes, etc. it’s a great deal for a Eurorack setup.

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 am

Biff wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:23 am
Biff wrote:
Biff wrote:
Hi, it’s me, future Biff. If anyone else has this question, it is super easy to tap individual outs for the waveforms, noise, LFO, input pwm and so on. I got one from perfect circuit for $240, so when you consider the fact that you get 2x 3340s, 2 envelopes, etc. it’s a great deal for a Eurorack setup.
Thanks for sharing! Do you have specifics on the points to pull out?

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:53 am

my kitten is a fucking ground shaking speaker blowing beast
i can't tell from the videos if this is on par with an og
does anyone have both?
buy some vinyl I produced! - dope open drums and funky dark dramatic tracks!
https://www.discogs.com/Dusty-Fingers-O ... e/15916070

rpc
Common Wiggler

Post by rpc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:41 pm

I own a rev.1 CAT with the discrete filter, and the osc sync is impressive. It’s quite a raw, powerful, versatile, and electric-sounding synth (much like my other favourite, the Korg 770). I think the Behringer is based-on the SRM II version with SSM filter, and according to this video the Behringer doesn’t seem to have as nice a sync sound as the discrete version. That said, I don’t know how the Behringer compares to the SRM II it is modelled after. After watching that video, I have no desire to trade-in my original rev.1 CAT for a B, nor an MS20 for a K20. That said, the B seems to have the flavour of the original at a great price point and in a convenient form factor with MIDI. The Boog and Pro-1 seem to be quite accurately modelled (now that the Pro-1 envelopes have been tweaked).

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:25 am

unexpectedbowtie wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 am
Biff wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:23 am
Biff wrote:
Biff wrote:
Thanks for sharing! Do you have specifics on the points to pull out?
No problem! Sorry for the delay, but here is a photo of the points I used. It’s somewhat similar on the MS-1, so I used that as a starting guide. Like the MS-1, you can tap the individual outs off the slider on the left. The filter out has several usable points on the board. The PWM in overwrites the SQ LFO. I figured since I have LFO outs I could always manually patch the square in if I wanted. On the MS-1 guide, they mention adding a resistor (1k). I’m not sure how necessary that is if using an attenuator (maybe someone more knowledgeable can interject). The LFO I’m currently having some issues getting the S/H signal out, so take that with a grain of salt (it’s tapping off one of the switches and it has to be set to S/H in order for it to work).
As shown in the picture, there’s a narrow opening around the 3340s to get small gauge wire through. The logo spot has ample room for all of the patch points but you have to make sure to watch out for parts.

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:40 am

This is really awesome, thanks for sharing!!

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:59 am

Looks like I drunkenly bought a CAT last night. Oops.

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 pm

Best drunken decision you’ll ever make.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 pm

rpc wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:41 pm
I own a rev.1 CAT with the discrete filter, and the osc sync is impressive. It’s quite a raw, powerful, versatile, and electric-sounding synth (much like my other favourite, the Korg 770). I think the Behringer is based-on the SRM II version with SSM filter, and according to this video the Behringer doesn’t seem to have as nice a sync sound as the discrete version. That said, I don’t know how the Behringer compares to the SRM II it is modelled after. After watching that video, I have no desire to trade-in my original rev.1 CAT for a B, nor an MS20 for a K20. That said, the B seems to have the flavour of the original at a great price point and in a convenient form factor with MIDI. The Boog and Pro-1 seem to be quite accurately modelled (now that the Pro-1 envelopes have been tweaked).
what filter does it use? I loved my Cat, but it was the SSM2040 version. and that's what made it special, that's NOT what Behringer is using. Maybe the 2044? which is completely different.

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:20 am

Biff wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:39 pm
Best drunken decision you’ll ever make.
Drunk me has great taste.

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:55 am

rpc wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:41 pm
The Behringer Cat is, indeed, based on the SRM II variant. I have an original, refurbished, SRM I, and it sounds different to that. But it sounds good, just not the same as an SRM I or, presumably, an original discreet circuitry Cat.
Random is the new maRnod

jabberwalky
Common Wiggler

Post by jabberwalky » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:39 am

I have the original discrete Cat with 3080 type filters and the Behringer. They aren't very similar sonically, and part of the reason I love the original so much is massive control panel. As soon as I film some comparison stuff, the B is out the door.
https://www.youtube.com/c/fortressofsound/ - Synth demos and other absurd nonsense

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:53 am

L13 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:53 am
my kitten is a fucking ground shaking speaker blowing beast
i can't tell from the videos if this is on par with an og
does anyone have both?
I currently have a Rev A CAT (discrete filter), and previously owned an SSM2040 Kitten and an SSM2044 CAT SRM II. Behringer copied the SSM2044 filter chip for their Cat desktop. It's a big difference to me, but could be a minor difference to someone else.

In my opinion it would not replace your Kitten. But it's still an awesome little synth for a very good price.
This is an excellent video comparison (not mine) worth watching from beginning to end, though if you want to hear a big difference between the two you can go straight to 29:21.

L13
Common Wiggler

Post by L13 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:23 pm

thanks
yea the old one wins
buy some vinyl I produced! - dope open drums and funky dark dramatic tracks!
https://www.discogs.com/Dusty-Fingers-O ... e/15916070

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:06 am

I've been eyeing the CAT up since these monos were announced, as it seemed like the most unusual/interesting to me. I held off from taking the plunge for ages, but managed to get one for a good price second hand.

My first thoughts are:

1. The knobs and sliders feel way better than expected. The sliders in particular I was worried would feel cheap and plasticy, but they don't at all.
2. The workflow was a bit trickier to figure out than some other mono synths I've used (including the Behringer WASP and Pro-1). I'm not really sure why, but perhaps the relationship between the VCOs and the modulation. I could have read the manual mind you.
3. Once I did get things dialled in, it definitely has its own sound. The bass is cool, and it does that kind of square wave arcade sound nicely... but it really shines for me when you go for some FM. Boy does that sound good!

Anyway I put together a video with some of the sounds I managed to get from the first few hours of playing around. Including lots of me tweaking knobs going 'wtf'.

Return to “General Gear”