Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Funch

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Funch » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:04 pm

Did the original sound as bad as the copy cat in the Behrigher demo?

dml
Common Wiggler

Post by dml » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:20 pm

The Cat is a very nice synthesizer. I love the fact that I can manually sweep VCO 1 from subsonic to ultrasonic. Can't think of too many other synths that let you do that : )

~ dml
Best,

dml

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:32 pm

That ssm2040 in the cat is essential. I had one one, sadly sold it it for double $250. So if they cloned the ssm2040, that is HUGE!!!!

dml
Common Wiggler

Post by dml » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:03 pm

The ARP Odyssey was my first synth, which I absolutely adored until I found it redundant after acquiring my 2nd 2600 (this was the 80s). Anyway...bought a CAT 5 years ago and was/am completely blown away by it's facilities. Simply a marvelous synthesizer, similar to the Odyssey in many ways but unique in it's own right. I'm looking forward to hearing Behringer's take on this remarkable synth. This may be my first Behringer synth purchase, unless they release their 2600 first!!
Best,

dml

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:03 am

dml wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:03 pm
The ARP Odyssey was my first synth, which I absolutely adored until I found it redundant after acquiring my 2nd 2600 (this was the 80s). Anyway...bought a CAT 5 years ago and was/am completely blown away by it's facilities. Simply a marvelous synthesizer, similar to the Odyssey in many ways but unique in it's own right. I'm looking forward to hearing Behringer's take on this remarkable synth. This may be my first Behringer synth purchase, unless they release their 2600 first!!
Yes indeed; I too have the ARP/Cat lust you speak of. The Cat SRM has been on my "gotta grab one someday" list for over a decade. Glad that Behringer came out of nowhere and did this, because it will be 1/4th the price - and that's hard to turn down. Their version of the Odyssey is incredible too. I have an original white face along with a Solus and it's right there with them. I grabbed a Neutron for under $200 and it's a no-brainer for anyone using Eurorack, considering all the things it adds to a system for so little money. The "tone-mod" waveform in the oscillator is pretty unique and sounds incredible, especially when PWM'd and synced - gets very ARPish.
My favorite aspect about all these Behringer synth revivals is how it exposes clearly the weird, obsessive and sociopathic underbelly of the "synthesizer/electronic music" community. It's crazy to see people personally distraught by the manufacturing of a synthesizer....
Glad that someone else is happy to see this released, so cheers to ya! :guinness:

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:10 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:19 pm
I've been looking at used Cats, used as they were, by Ultravox.
Don't recall seeing Uvox with a Cat. Their monos were mainly Odysseys with a Model D occasionally. Briefly replaced by OSCars before the final implosion.

In the UK, Cats and Kittens were sold exclusively through the Chase Music chain, which also had the Crumar dealership. I thought Chase went belly-up about 30 years ago but it seems it survives online:

https://www.chasedirect.co.uk/

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:21 am

dml wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:20 pm
The Cat is a very nice synthesizer. I love the fact that I can manually sweep VCO 1 from subsonic to ultrasonic. Can't think of too many other synths that let you do that : )

~ dml
Teisco S60f do this. Put the octave selector in “low” position, then the “fine” (tune) knob will sweep the entire range, from ultrasonics down to LFO territory.

dml
Common Wiggler

Post by dml » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:34 am

It's a feature I use to demonstrate to my students (undergrad theater tech) the range of human hearing. It takes an abstract thought (20 Hz.-20 kHz.) and makes it real and concrete for them. It's fun slowly sweeping from the LFO range, past the upper limits of our hearing, and then to drop quickly back down. I've considered replacing the synth in favor of an APP for this demonstration but I haven't found anything that operates in the 1-5 Hz. range.
Best,

dml

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Kent wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:32 pm
No childish name-calling, please.

You can argue points but please do so with some sense of grace and intelligence.
We live in hope.

I don't need more synths. But this is one that makes my mouse-clicking finger very itchy indeed.

Funch

Post by Funch » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:08 pm

digitalganesha wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:03 am
My favorite aspect about all these Behringer synth revivals is how it exposes clearly the weird, obsessive and sociopathic underbelly of the "synthesizer/electronic music" community. It's crazy to see people personally distraught by the manufacturing of a synthesizer....
I'm not reading that anyone is " personally distraught by the manufacturing of a synthesizer".

What I'm reading is that some people desire to use their purchasing power to support businesses that operate ethically.

Often what I read is that supporters of Behringer's business practices try to assign non existent emotions to those of us who post positive comments about Behringer's non ethical business practices.

Could you elaborate on your statement please? Perhaps I missed something.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 pm

Here we go again :roll:

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Funch wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:08 pm
supporters of Behringer's business practices
:hmm: hmm - i'm guessing you must mean music instrument stores such as thomann and sweetwater (i.e. entities that actually purchase goods from behringer, dave smith/sequential, moog, roland, etc., offer them for sale and thus support business practices)? are you trying to say we should be boycotting those businesses, Funch?

cheers
“i'm telling you my dear that it can't happen here because i've been checking it out. i've been checking it out for a couple of days...”

Funch

Post by Funch » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:50 pm

numan7 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 pm
Funch wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:08 pm
supporters of Behringer's business practices
:hmm: hmm - i'm guessing you must mean music instrument stores such as thomann and sweetwater (i.e. entities that actually purchase goods from behringer, dave smith/sequential, moog, roland, etc., offer them for sale and thus support business practices)? are you trying to say we should be boycotting those businesses, Funch?

cheers
no, not at all. Buy from whomever you want to. I don't even care if you purchase Behringer products. That's YOUR choice and I support your right to make that choice and voice a civil opinion or counter argument.

Since I've switched sides however, some members don't seem to support my right (and others rights) to voice opinions and find the need to attribute emotional states to non Behringer supporters.

Example of the fallacy argument I've witnessed.

Point: "He states Behringer is unethical by copying other businesses products and trading on other businesses good name and reputations."

therefore:

Counterpoint: "He is a troll, angry, upset, negative, elitist,
snob (insert derogatory name here)".

ranix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ranix » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:58 pm

don't you ever get tired of this

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:44 pm

The fact is Behringer remaking with not much bonus well known synths. That's, on a side, a commercially no risk strategy. Nevertheless, on another side, Uli is making those new synths. They exist. One may not buy them for ethical reasons. And another side one may buy them because those synths are not so bad and cheap. Anyway, let's face it, Behringer is here to stay. But what will be the answer from Moog, Korg or Roland ? That is the essential question. Are they going to be cheaper and more creative ? And, Uli, he is going to be a bit more innovative ? Years will tell us.
Last edited by plogbidman on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flounderguts
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Personally, I don't find Behringer to be particularly unethical. It's not a company like 10000 Villages or OxFam, but it's probably not as bad as Ikea or McDonald's...and if you refuse to buy a Poang chair and eat McFlurries, that's cool with me.

IF you really want to have this discussion, let's take it to the Members Forum, and you can show us why we need to burn all our Behringer gear.

If some upstart car maker wants to build 1988 Toyota 86 cars under the name "Robron 68," great! Or continue to make 1932 Ford Model A's that are safety updated and road legal ( Timmis Motors in Canada), how is that unethical? Unless Bob Moog starts screaming about how he's been robbed publicly, and has a case that is compelling...I'm going to assume that the Poly D has his implicit blessing.

YOU can still go and spend your dineros on the super expensive boutique stuff, and love the 12 lb. teak side panels...

*I'm* going to write to Behringer and beg them to clone the Etherwave Pro.
----------------------

Flounderguts

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:15 pm

By the way, Behringer's Cat is surely a very good synth, i mean a very good sounding and powerful one. And for the money, it's a real bargain. Well done, Uli. Wait and see the next NAMM for new good, cheap and innovative synths from the others synths makers ?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:13 am

dubnspace wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 pm
Licudi wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm
Dev-o?
lol, love how he namechecks both the Dust Brothers and Chemical Brothers too.
They tell us that
We lost our tails
Evolving up
From little snails
I say it's all
Just wind in sails

Are we not men?
We are Dev-o.

If there could be anything more apropos of the tragedy of Behringer it is for sure the company's advertising guy drawing on the canon by calling DEVO Dev-o.

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am

love how he namechecks both the Dust Brothers and Chemical Brothers too.
They're two different bands : that's why the UK 'Dust Brothers' changed their name, because the US Dust Brothers ( Fight Club OST etc) were already in existence.

I guess that's the story behind the Chemical Brother album title 'Exit Planet Dust' too...

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:57 am

Xmit wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am
They're two different bands : that's why the UK 'Dust Brothers' changed their name, because the US Dust Brothers ( Fight Club OST etc) were already in existence.

I guess that's the story behind the Chemical Brother album title 'Exit Planet Dust' too...
yes i'm aware they're two different bands, but the video shows a picture of Ed and Tom when he says both, so clearly it was meant as a joke..

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:40 pm

dubnspace wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:57 am
Xmit wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am

yes i'm aware they're two different bands, but the video shows a picture of Ed and Tom when he says both, so clearly it was meant as a joke..
they should choose an older pic of them for the dust brothers mention!

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 pm

glad they brought a dark horse out of the woodwork this time.
TOO FAR GONE

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm

Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 am

Every behringer thread is the same conversation. Can we just make a generic behringer announcement thread for folks' tedious ethics debates and keep the myriad product announcement threads related to the products?
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Funch

Post by Funch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am

3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.

Return to “General Gear”