Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

User avatar
3hands
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ottawa Ontario

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by 3hands » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
And I get that for sure. However, not many people wanted a Mackie 2408 clone (I remember them being close in price iirc).

But no one is making these machines except Behringer. And that’s the difference! Who’s making an all analogue 909 anymore? Or an Octave Cat with the original filter circuitry? No one. Is Octave still around? No. Has Roland even attempted to cease and desist them? No. Why? Perhaps, Roland has seen how badly they missed the target on all this. Who wants ASM, when you can have a real analogue 303? Behringer are filling a niche that seems to be very much wanted within our community. That can’t be a bad thing at all!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

tenembre

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by tenembre » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm

3hands wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
And I get that for sure. However, not many people wanted a Mackie 2408 clone (I remember them being close in price iirc).

But no one is making these machines except Behringer. And that’s the difference! Who’s making an all analogue 909 anymore? Or an Octave Cat with the original filter circuitry? No one. Is Octave still around? No. Has Roland even attempted to cease and desist them? No. Why? Perhaps, Roland has seen how badly they missed the target on all this. Who wants ASM, when you can have a real analogue 303? Behringer are filling a niche that seems to be very much wanted within our community. That can’t be a bad thing at all!!
Yeah I wonder about that too. There's a lot of angst about straight clones from some people...but clones are what the market wants. Complaining about clones being unoriginal is a complaint about the taste of the buyers as much as a complaint about Behringer indulging that taste. And honestly, the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.

User avatar
Muzone
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: London

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Muzone » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:50 pm

tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
......the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The market for reissues/clones being built by the very people who now decry their appearance - good point, and explains much of the angst.

Funch

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Funch » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Muzone wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:50 pm
tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
......the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The market for reissues/clones being built by the very people who now decry their appearance - good point, and explains much of the angst.
that's a strawman argument. Lets call him Bob Strawman, or BS,for short. ;)

galaxie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by galaxie » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:57 am

A surprise from Behringer. CAT synth looks interesting. Can't argue with the price. Tempting.

User avatar
3hands
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Location: Ottawa Ontario

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by 3hands » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:23 pm

Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 pm
Muzone wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:50 pm
tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
......the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The market for reissues/clones being built by the very people who now decry their appearance - good point, and explains much of the angst.
that's a strawman argument. Lets call him Bob Strawman, or BS,for short. ;)

You understand evidence based answers. I’m curious of the evidence you have to support Mr Strawman! ;)
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Location: USA

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by kinkujin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
Yes, I’m one of those weird people. I’m a bit uneasy with B for stuff in their past (past?) and simultaneously want this new Cat.

Funch

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Funch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:18 pm

3hands wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:23 pm
Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 pm
Muzone wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:50 pm
tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
......the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The market for reissues/clones being built by the very people who now decry their appearance - good point, and explains much of the angst.
that's a strawman argument. Lets call him Bob Strawman, or BS,for short. ;)

You understand evidence based answers. I’m curious of the evidence you have to support Mr Strawman! ;)
this would be a good opportunity for you to see a point of view from the other side. I'll give you a week to see if you can understand what I'm saying. If you can't see that POV by then I will explain it to you, just remind me.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1788
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm

tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
3hands wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
And I get that for sure. However, not many people wanted a Mackie 2408 clone (I remember them being close in price iirc).

But no one is making these machines except Behringer. And that’s the difference! Who’s making an all analogue 909 anymore? Or an Octave Cat with the original filter circuitry? No one. Is Octave still around? No. Has Roland even attempted to cease and desist them? No. Why? Perhaps, Roland has seen how badly they missed the target on all this. Who wants ASM, when you can have a real analogue 303? Behringer are filling a niche that seems to be very much wanted within our community. That can’t be a bad thing at all!!
Yeah I wonder about that too. There's a lot of angst about straight clones from some people...but clones are what the market wants. Complaining about clones being unoriginal is a complaint about the taste of the buyers as much as a complaint about Behringer indulging that taste. And honestly, the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The argument that elitist gear snobs are against B just because their “investments” are losing value is bunk and also just sounds like jealous entitlement.

The real issue is not that they are uncreatively copying vintage synths that have no current representation, it is that they are straight-up ripping off, 1:1, designs being made by existing companies (Moog, Korg/ARP—and that’s just in the synth world). If you’re cool with that, so be it but don’t paint B as some sort of Robin Hood hero.

User avatar
coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, California

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm
tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
3hands wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
And I get that for sure. However, not many people wanted a Mackie 2408 clone (I remember them being close in price iirc).

But no one is making these machines except Behringer. And that’s the difference! Who’s making an all analogue 909 anymore? Or an Octave Cat with the original filter circuitry? No one. Is Octave still around? No. Has Roland even attempted to cease and desist them? No. Why? Perhaps, Roland has seen how badly they missed the target on all this. Who wants ASM, when you can have a real analogue 303? Behringer are filling a niche that seems to be very much wanted within our community. That can’t be a bad thing at all!!
Yeah I wonder about that too. There's a lot of angst about straight clones from some people...but clones are what the market wants. Complaining about clones being unoriginal is a complaint about the taste of the buyers as much as a complaint about Behringer indulging that taste. And honestly, the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The argument that elitist gear snobs are against B just because their “investments” are losing value is bunk and also just sounds like jealous entitlement.

The real issue is not that they are uncreatively copying vintage synths that have no current representation, it is that they are straight-up ripping off, 1:1, designs being made by existing companies (Moog, Korg/ARP—and that’s just in the synth world). If you’re cool with that, so be it but don’t paint B as some sort of Robin Hood hero.
Yeah, I think that's a much more reasonable position. Here, in my mind, is all that needs to be said about behringer and ethics... ever:

1. Behringer are copying original designs, with a few exceptions (ie the neutron) they are direct copy and pastes.
2. Most of the time, the design of a mass-product is less important than your ability to manufacture at scale. In this regard Behringer is impressive
3. What they are doing is NOT different than the myriad clones of roland/moog/arp products that have been coming out for years, but they are much more efficient at manufacturing. Seriously, I spent an entire thread providing more examples of smaller companies doing everything B has done as the person kept changing their argument.
4. Clones almost never drive the price of vintage synths down. In fact, the opposite is often true.
5. Since we already admit that most designs are copies, what some people really have a problem with is the idea of a "crass" company like behringer copying their classics, rather than greed about the price of the Jupiters or CS-80s
6. Behringer obviously do not care about biting into the profits of smaller, more creative companies.
7. This is broadly true of any multinational corporation. (and of anything you can say about behringer)
8. It would suck to lose Moog, Korg and Roland
9. People worried about ethical spending on their synths, given the scale of the economies around them, seems to miss the forest for the trees
10. People predicted Behringer would kill the smaller eurorack companies, so far it hasn't happened. They also said the same thing about Moog.
11. Behringer has made some of the ugliest, shittiest gear in the past, and I am 99% sure this is why people hate them, more than anything else.
12. People like to externalize fundamental truths about capitalism (sorry mods, but this is literally the subtext of every behringer discussion). Maybe, rather than complaining about Behringer, we should try to understand the economic conditions that allow for business practices like that to thrive.
13. I'm sorry, but I'm never going to feel any worse about buying a minimoog clone than I am about buying any other mass consumer product--especially electronics. Everyone rips of everyone. Own a PC? HOW DARE YOU USE A DESIGN THAT WAS RIPPED OFF APPLE? Own an android device? They actually had to settle a massive lawsuit based on how much of that was ripped off!
14. These discussions are obviously political discussions, and I feel like the mods should be watching these threads more closely so we can talk about the actual product.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Licudi » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:49 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm
12. People like to externalize fundamental truths about capitalism (sorry mods, but this is literally the subtext of every behringer discussion). Maybe, rather than complaining about Behringer, we should try to understand the economic conditions that allow for business practices like that to thrive.
Odd then that you choose to ignore that Behringer manufactures in a Communist-controlled one-party state. I'm curious whether Music Tribe City is a Wholly Foreign-Owned Enterprise or has CPC backing and shareholders. Anyone here know?

User avatar
Chopper
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:17 am
Location: London

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Chopper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Since everybody else's components and assembly is made there anyway, does it matter?
And yes, more talk about the gear indeed. In this case, a take on an interesting synth that I used many moons ago, and great for leads. You can do a lot with the oscillators section alone.
Last edited by Chopper on Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
blw
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by blw » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Behringer must love the repetitive arguments that keep mentions of their products at the top of the page of every synth forum. They should hire shills to keep stirring the pot, if they don’t already. #guerrillamarketing

User avatar
sduck
experimental use of gravity
Posts: 13607
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:03 pm
Location: Vortepexaion, TN, USA

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by sduck » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:31 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm
14. These discussions are obviously political discussions, and I feel like the mods should be watching these threads more closely so we can talk about the actual product.
I can't speak for all the mods, but generally we've given up trying. We'll deal with blatant political stuff that gets thrown into these threads, but otherwise you're on your own. None of us are behringer fans, I don't think any of us own anything by them. I don't feel like doing any free advertising for them, so don't participate in these threads. Yes, they are a company that benefits from negative advertising. I did enjoy your post, and agree with a lot of it.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

User avatar
olix
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:42 am
Location: Paris

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by olix » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 am

This Cat seems really nice :love:
But this or the Pro-1? I don't want to have more than one Behringer synth..

tenembre

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by tenembre » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:28 pm
tenembre wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:11 pm
3hands wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
And I get that for sure. However, not many people wanted a Mackie 2408 clone (I remember them being close in price iirc).

But no one is making these machines except Behringer. And that’s the difference! Who’s making an all analogue 909 anymore? Or an Octave Cat with the original filter circuitry? No one. Is Octave still around? No. Has Roland even attempted to cease and desist them? No. Why? Perhaps, Roland has seen how badly they missed the target on all this. Who wants ASM, when you can have a real analogue 303? Behringer are filling a niche that seems to be very much wanted within our community. That can’t be a bad thing at all!!
Yeah I wonder about that too. There's a lot of angst about straight clones from some people...but clones are what the market wants. Complaining about clones being unoriginal is a complaint about the taste of the buyers as much as a complaint about Behringer indulging that taste. And honestly, the fetishization of classic gear is something that gear snobs themselves are responsible for. No wonder they're so upset- their own superiority game has been turned against them, and their fetishization used as a marketing tactic for gear that people not like them can afford to buy. The horror.
The argument that elitist gear snobs are against B just because their “investments” are losing value is bunk and also just sounds like jealous entitlement.

The real issue is not that they are uncreatively copying vintage synths that have no current representation, it is that they are straight-up ripping off, 1:1, designs being made by existing companies (Moog, Korg/ARP—and that’s just in the synth world). If you’re cool with that, so be it but don’t paint B as some sort of Robin Hood hero.
Since you're quoting me, I'll point out that's not my argument. I didn't say anything about investment value. Nor did I attempt to paint Behringer as heroes. My entire comment was about the elitism of taste, and how inexpensive copies based on that taste can provoke emotional responses.

Attempting to refute an argument that was not actually made is the true meaning of "straw man fallacy", BTW.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Licudi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:33 am

Chopper wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:28 pm
Since everybody else's components and assembly is made there anyway, does it matter?
From a manufacturing point of view, yes. Most non-Chinese companies outsource their production so it's a much bigger step to build a dedicated factory. The economies of scale Music Tribe City gives Behringer may be commercially decisive, but the throughput required to keep it going at full capacity will be enormous. I find that aspect of Music Tribe's business model fascinating (quite apart from its ethical and legal aspects). Has such a venture been attempted before?
Last edited by Licudi on Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 am

Licudi wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:33 am
Chopper wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:28 pm
Since everybody else's components and assembly is made there anyway, does it matter?
From a manufacturing point of view, yes. Most non-Chinese companies outsource their production there to third parties so it's a much bigger step to build a dedicated factory. While the economies of scale Music Tribe City gives may be commercially decisive, the throughput required to keep it going at capacity will be enormous.

I find that aspect of Music Tribe's business model fascinating quite apart from its ethical and legal aspects. Has such a venture been attempted before?
For music gear production I'm not sure how the benefits pan out, but I've been pretty close to the core of the organization within a massive information processing corporate (20K+ people globally), the fact that they ran all in house processes (HR, communication, etc) on their own tech stack (read software and infra) alone gave a massive cost benefit. Mind though: Wanting to do everything yourself should only be done if you are willing to sacrifice pace and flexibility (and potentially headroom for innovation).

I think Uli IS effectively crushng the competition. That is no threat however to the musiv industry as a whole as his approach allows to Behringer to play in certain product areas. He can't move into all types of production with his approach and particularly meaningful innovation is way out of his league.
The only thing that stands in his way is quality.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Licudi » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:12 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:53 am
his approach allows to Behringer to play in certain product areas. He can't move into all types of production with his approach and particularly meaningful innovation is way out of his league.
That's right - the innovation here is in manufacturing. I assume the Behringer synth module 'clones' mostly conform to certain common standards - processors, size, PSU, board layout and so on. This would makes sense from a manufacturing, shipping, market and inventory point of view, but make authenticity impossible. Most users will make the "Perfection is the Enemy of Good Enough" argument if they notice at all.

BTW, apologies for the edit to my previous post, which clashed with your reply. It was only a minor clean-up.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1788
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:28 am

tenembre wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 am
Since you're quoting me, I'll point out that's not my argument. I didn't say anything about investment value. Nor did I attempt to paint Behringer as heroes. My entire comment was about the elitism of taste, and how inexpensive copies based on that taste can provoke emotional responses.

Attempting to refute an argument that was not actually made is the true meaning of "straw man fallacy", BTW.
Ok, maybe not by you here, but i have seen this diminishing investment argument put forward elsewhere. And I still don't buy the elitism thing. There was a little bit of "it's not the same as the original" moaning when Korg released the MS-20 and Odyssey, but absolutely no one was complaining about the much lower price point. Conversely, Moog got generally lambasted for the price of the new Minimoog. So entry price really isn't the issue.

tenembre

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by tenembre » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:02 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:28 am
tenembre wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 am
Since you're quoting me, I'll point out that's not my argument. I didn't say anything about investment value. Nor did I attempt to paint Behringer as heroes. My entire comment was about the elitism of taste, and how inexpensive copies based on that taste can provoke emotional responses.

Attempting to refute an argument that was not actually made is the true meaning of "straw man fallacy", BTW.
Ok, maybe not by you here, but i have seen this diminishing investment argument put forward elsewhere. And I still don't buy the elitism thing. There was a little bit of "it's not the same as the original" moaning when Korg released the MS-20 and Odyssey, but absolutely no one was complaining about the much lower price point. Conversely, Moog got generally lambasted for the price of the new Minimoog. So entry price really isn't the issue.
Yeah fair enough, I have heard the investment argument, although not often, and I also think it's bogus. Prices for the originals will continue to go up, just as the prices of guitars that have been cloned endlessly have. But as far as elitism goes, it's not connected to price of entry per se. Scarcity is the key factor. Reduce scarcity, and the specialness of an item decreases. Which also explains why vintage prices continue to increase regardless of the availability of sonically near-exact equivalents. "Mojo" will continue to be ascribed to the guaranteed-scarce object.

User avatar
RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by RickKleffel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:06 am

To my mind, the big question is an excess of riches. How many mono synths do you need? Also, tuning. Turning the detente-free knob to tune these machines is frustrating. In a live setting, freedom from presets constrains the ability to fully enjoy or make use of this elusive liberty. Also, space, in that the the nice interfaces require it, and I (at least, and perhaps others) have run out. Parva and Ambika are looking good.

tenembre

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by tenembre » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:57 pm

I have an ambika I could sell. Pm me if interested...

Funch

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Funch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:20 pm

sduck wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:31 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm
14. These discussions are obviously political discussions, and I feel like the mods should be watching these threads more closely so we can talk about the actual product.
I can't speak for all the mods, but generally we've given up trying. We'll deal with blatant political stuff that gets thrown into these threads, but otherwise you're on your own. None of us are behringer fans, I don't think any of us own anything by them. I don't feel like doing any free advertising for them, so don't participate in these threads. Yes, they are a company that benefits from negative advertising. I did enjoy your post, and agree with a lot of it.
Agree about the free advertising and how it benefits "The Tribe of Uri".

The point above about he's not Robin Hood is an excellent one and is perpetuated directly by Behringer ad hype.

Ad folks use human psychology against us to sell product. That Robin Hood meme is a great example of how that ad hype process ingrains itself in our culture when we see so many people defending a company known the be a bad actor.

Unfortunately that defence involves building an argument such as you guys are snobs, elitist, fools, trolls or worse. This name calling tactic is typical when you don't have a valid argument to present.

I would like to see one more bit of free advertising though.


"Muffwiggler bans all Behrigher Threads"

" In a surprise move popular music forum Muffwiggler has banned all new Behringer threads and has removed all old Behringer threads because of their contentious nature and in the interest of peace and Harmony among the forum membership. Cult debriefing experts have volunteered and are on call to help those suffering from the effects Behringer's advertising hype that have lead them to abandon their ethical values.

Member Funch had this to say, "I once supported this company and was well on my way to joining this tribe, some say cult.
But besides the fact that Behringer is a bad actor, I realized I was being nickeled and dimed to death buying cheap synthesizers while supporting oppression"

Divinital

Re: Behringer - Introducing the CAT Synthesizer

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:50 pm

3hands wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:32 pm
Funch wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am
3hands wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:13 pm
Oh I need to investigate this.... Behringer are finally doing what everyone wanted the original manufacturers to do, but didn’t, and suddenly they’re the bad guys? If this was 2006, people would be over the moon. People are weird...
not suddenly. That's been going on for a while, hence the reputation.

Yes,people are weird.
And I get that for sure. However, not many people wanted a Mackie 2408 clone (I remember them being close in price iirc).

But no one is making these machines except Behringer. And that’s the difference! Who’s making an all analogue 909 anymore? Or an Octave Cat with the original filter circuitry? No one. Is Octave still around? No. Has Roland even attempted to cease and desist them? No. Why? Perhaps, Roland has seen how badly they missed the target on all this. Who wants ASM, when you can have a real analogue 303? Behringer are filling a niche that seems to be very much wanted within our community. That can’t be a bad thing at all!!
It's hilarious because based on the Anderton's comparison video, B's analog vs. Roland's digital, B's sounds like shit.... But it's analog so it wins amirite?


RickKleffel wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:06 am
To my mind, the big question is an excess of riches. How many mono synths do you need? Also, tuning. Turning the detente-free knob to tune these machines is frustrating. In a live setting, freedom from presets constrains the ability to fully enjoy or make use of this elusive liberty. Also, space, in that the the nice interfaces require it, and I (at least, and perhaps others) have run out. Parva and Ambika are looking good.
Don't forget none have presets, patch managers or any sort of legitimate MIDI implementation.

I'd take a Subs 37 over the entire Behringer clone collection, past and future.


coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:21 pm
13. I'm sorry, but I'm never going to feel any worse about buying a minimoog clone than I am about buying any other mass consumer product--especially electronics. Everyone rips of everyone. Own a PC? HOW DARE YOU USE A DESIGN THAT WAS RIPPED OFF APPLE? Own an android device? They actually had to settle a massive lawsuit based on how much of that was ripped off!
I find it so interesting when people say this. In this example, as though Microsoft made a new personal computer, all white, and called it a Mapple with two bites out of a stylized apple for a logo.
Last edited by Divinital on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”