$82 "Model D"

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

nateflanigan
Learning to Wiggle

$82 "Model D"

Post by nateflanigan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 pm

Has anyone else seen the facebook ad for a site called crashdamage that is selling an $82 Model D? The as looks like many other slightly sketchy discount fb ads, it uses the stock model d photos and copy, but it never specifically refers to the item as a Behringer Model D. Anyhow, I ordered one, curiosity got the better of me. Anyone else bought one?

SyndieBot2000XL
Common Wiggler

Re: $82 "Model D"

Post by SyndieBot2000XL » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:40 pm

I’m gonna go out on a limb and file this one under “if it seems too good to be true, it probably is”.
It began as a mistake.

nateflanigan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nateflanigan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:23 pm

It's gotta be

3hands
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 3hands » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:06 pm

Very interested to see what you get in the mail!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

nateflanigan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nateflanigan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Very interested to see what you get in the mail!!
ME TOO! Box of rocks? A broken Model D? A Boringer Medle Dee? Nothing?

I'll definitely let y'all know.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm

Nothing, of course. Very few scammers actually bother to send out a box of rocks. :miley:
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:31 pm

nateflanigan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 pm
a site called crashdamage
Are you sure that's the name of the store, or the URL? I look up that name and don't find anything on google.

Here's an example from conductivelabs on these kinds of fake ads: https://conductivelabs.com/scams/

My own experience is that these are always scams. Maybe google the URL or name of the site, with the word "scam" and see if there's any hits.

( for example, "crashdamage site scam" - though I don't see that, but are you sure it was 'crashdamage'? )

Not to be alarmist, but keep track of your credit card statements, too. Or enjoy a cheap synth if it arrives!

Dragonaut
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:55 pm

I also have an 82 dollar Model D if you are looking for a second one.
https://soundcloud.com/acaciabridge (IDM, Ambient, Bass, Downtempo)
www.instagram.com/dr_science_phd (synths, hikes, and views.)

nateflanigan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nateflanigan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Are you sure that's the name of the store
Here's the url
https://crashdamage.top/products/synthesizer

Before ordering I did as much due diligence as possible, like googling "crashdamage scam" and anything else I could think of. I found nothing, nothing good nothing bad. I'm not naive, I'm generally skeptical of everything, like I said, this time my curiosity got the better of me, it happens sometimes. I'm definitely am not saying it's not a scam. Interestingly I haven't been charged yet.
My own experience is that these are always scams.
Do you have direct experience with something like this?
Very few scammers actually bother to send out a box of rocks. :miley:
I mean of course, that'd be totally absurd.
I also have an 82 dollar Model D if you are looking for a second one.
Cool

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:13 pm

Doesn't sound like much of a risk, economically speaking. Looking forward to learning how you make out.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:40 pm

nateflanigan wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:06 pm
Here's the url
https://crashdamage.top/products/synthesizer

Before ordering I did as much due diligence as possible, like googling
Hey man, cool - I appreciate that - you might be right that you're onto a good deal on a company just starting.

Presently though, I'd be wary of how little actually shows up for a search. For example: https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAo&uact=5 - That's a google search for just "crashdamage.top" - which returns just three results, all three being directly related to the site itself.

A sitewide search shows even less: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:cr ... 21&bih=753

No google presence for an e-commerce site? No outside traffic pointing to them? No extras like product pages showing up in the index listing? That's nuts - Any e-commerce site will flood a search response to gain customers and pack on metadata for SEO traffic, etc.

There's no google results for "https:// crashdamage.top/products/synthesizer" (I'm not clicking the link to prevent any cookies on my machine, and I'd suggest a scan of any computer that does click the link) - but it suggests google might've already flagged it as a dishonest site.

Additionally, https://www.whois.com/whois/crashdamage.top shows it's just two months old in terms of registration and the owner being a registry. A real company will update and modify the whois for legitimacy purposes.

Also, you mention you saw the advertisement on Facebook, which should have been a promoted post from a real company. There's no results on facebook, either: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=crashdamage.top - The first thing you should always do with a facebook ad is visit the facebook page for the company itself. People will vouch for it there if there's a real product, or rate it as dishonest ... or at the very least there should be a page there.

Where is the facebook page for the promoted advertisement? Do you have that facebook ad bookmarked? If there's no public page for the company that can mean it either got flagged or never existed. You might want to check with facebook about the ad if you're curious. CrashDamage should have a facebook page.

All of this is to say I'd love to be incorrect here and any deal like this should always be purchased with a credit card number you don't mind having stolen. Hopefully you went with a disposable gift card or prepaid one-off credit card (I take chances the same as you, just don't connect it to my bank account or credit) or maybe you used a paypal account.

Genuine follow-up question: Do they have a customer service phone number you can confirm the order with, or did you receive an email saying the purchase had gone through? It's even more peculiar you haven't been charged yet, suggesting a charge might occur out of the blue some months from now. I'd love to be incorrect on this, but this is just the sort of thing I'd check before I gave an unknown business my credit information. There's a ton more than ripping you off of $90 that can happen.

In terms of $90 minimoogs, I value the idea but I'd stick to reverb or ebay, or very disposable prepaid credit cards.

(all said since you asked for feedback on top of the post)

rew_
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rew_ » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:59 pm

I agree this is probably a scam / not real but
EPTC wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:40 pm
There's no google results for "https:// crashdamage.top/products/synthesizer" (I'm not clicking the link to prevent any cookies on my machine, and I'd suggest a scan of any computer that does click the link)
lol dude open an incognito window
whoosy boxes / zoomy panels

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Did you pay via paypal to make a refund possible if you don't get what you paid for ?
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

franman69
Veteran Wiggler

Post by franman69 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:29 pm

I actually saw this ad yesterday. I ended up 'buying' another too-good-to-be-true deal on that site. I immediately knew it was a mistake. I went to paypal to try and cancel the transaction. The user was all chinese characters with no email in the id link as there normally is. I found an email reference in the confirmation email (they actually sent a confirmation email about my order) and tried mailing them.. No response yet. I also opened a "case" at paypal. I am 100% sure this site (crashdamage.top) is a chinese scam even though I can't find any references to this specific site. I feel stupid for giving into the greed of considering the risk. It was a $99 purchase (which I can afford to get burned on) but putting you information, paypal, credit car, out there for a almost certain scam is just stupid. I guess we will both see what happens.

nateflanigan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nateflanigan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:42 pm

Did you pay via paypal to make a refund possible if you don't get what you paid for ?
Paypal wasn't an option during checkout. I have a bank account (and a pp account) that I use for online transactions that may be a little sketchy.
The first thing you should always do with a facebook ad is visit the facebook page for the company itself. People will vouch for it there if there's a real product, or rate it as dishonest ... or at the very least there should be a page there.
It was a sponsored ad and I did click through and looked at their fb page, I have the product saved and the url for their page saved. I don't imagine I'll get anywhere trying to get a refund, I accepted this as part of the risk.
Genuine follow-up question: Do they have a customer service phone number you can confirm the order with, or did you receive an email saying the purchase had gone through? It's even more peculiar you haven't been charged yet, suggesting a charge might occur out of the blue some months from now. I'd love to be incorrect on this, but this is just the sort of thing I'd check before I gave an unknown business my credit information. There's a ton more than ripping you off of $90 that can happen.

In terms of $90 minimoogs, I value the idea but I'd stick to reverb or ebay, or very disposable prepaid credit cards.

(all said since you asked for feedback on top of the post)
I haven't seen a customer service number, I have received an order confirmation email and even an email stating it has shipped. And I'm glad you're responding, the point of posting about this was to talk about it.

Some additional info from their site
Returns Policy

You may return most new, unopened items within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.).

You should expect to receive your refund within four weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in many cases you will receive a refund more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper (5 to 10 business days), the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it (3 to 5 business days), and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request (5 to 10 business days).

If you need to return an item, please Contact Us with your order number and details about the product you would like to return. We will respond quickly with instructions for how to return items from your order.

Shipping

We can ship to virtually any address in the world. Note that there are restrictions on some products, and some products cannot be shipped to international destinations.

When you place an order, we will estimate shipping and delivery dates for you based on the availability of your items and the shipping options you choose. Depending on the shipping provider you choose, shipping date estimates may appear on the shipping quotes page.

Please also note that the shipping rates for many items we sell are weight-based. The weight of any such item can be found on its detail page. To reflect the policies of the shipping companies we use, all weights will be rounded up to the next full pound.

AFTER YOU’VE PURCHASED
When Will My Order Be Processed?
We want to make sure you get your items as quickly as possible. When ordering please make sure you select the correct model and color because we cannot modify your orders. Modifications or cancellations cannot be made once the order is in the system.

All orders are processed within 5 business days of the order being placed and shipped out the next day after the processing day.Shipment will arrive in 15-25 business days after the shipment date, depending on the availability of the carrier provider and location.We do apologize that shipment delay may occur if the shipment requires Customs clearance or inspection, or transportation delay caused by carrier service.

Shipping confirmation
A shipping confirmation is emailed to you as soon as your purchase has been shipped, which will allow you to track the status of your shipment. Shipping costs are dependent upon the weight of the package and delivery location. Customers are responsible for customs duties and taxes for all International orders.

Tracking
As the receiver it will be your sole responsibility to track your order and submit necessary requirements to the customs or courier otherwise if the order has been tagged as return to sender or unsuccessful delivery due to the receiver not being able to follow-up or have not submitted the necessary requirements or notification to the courier, we are not able to process any refund or replacement for free and you may need to place the order again.

Delivery
Your local customs office may require additional documents and time to clear your package, which may delay the estimated delivery time.

Your order may be delivered to you by either the local post office or a local courier. Depending on your area, most orders will be delivered by your local post service, so the package will be received with your regular mail. If you are not home when the delivery is made, a notice card may be left by the postal service to advise on how and where your delivery can be collected.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Quite a few similar sites have exactly the same text you posted.

But maybe these came out of the backdoor of Behringer's factory.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:50 pm

heh! just look at the "about us" and select any block of text(without "crashdamage") and google it! Endless results of other scam sites.
https://crashdamage.top/about-us/

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:25 am

rew_ wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:59 pm
lol dude open an incognito window
Laughing - Well, I don't trust em, varmint! (Back to my knife wittling on the front porch)

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 am

We saw a big one like this in Sweden 10 years ago. The site was called teknikboom.se. They even managed to buy ads in some big papers (on credit) and the concept was exactly the same; super cheap stuff, generous return policy (:roll:) and only bank transfer options. There where even rumors that someone got their order (however, my guess is the the scammers planted that rumour by pretending to be satisfied customers).

Simply put, this is a scam and you won’t get anything. If someone got hold of cheap Behringer surplus Model Ds they would sell that stock to some established retailer or something like that (which happend when Hartmann didn’t pay the chineese factory building the Neuron VS and the factory subsequently sold the stock to musicstore.de). They would not set up some online shop just to unload the stock piece by piece at a price much lower than it needs to be.
Icy and melodic braindance/IDM winter track. ❄️

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:12 am

That is the most non legit looking site I’ve visited in a long time. Best of luck, really. Would be a good deal if you get a Boog for $82, but I have a feeling if anything is on its way to you it’s a weird Boog clone, which is a bit like Inception, so if you see a spinning top somewhere right now, you know what’s up.

Voltcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:21 am

lisa wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:45 pm
Nothing, of course. Very few scammers actually bother to send out a box of rocks. :miley:
Never mind scammers.
It'd be an awesame way to make a buck.
Box 'o rocks dot com.

wickfut
Common Wiggler

Post by wickfut » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 am

If you click the "contact us" link and it doesn't come up with any sort of address, walk away.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:05 pm

wickfut wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 am
If you click the "contact us" link and it doesn't come up with any sort of address, walk away.
Sorry, eBay

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:55 pm

lisa wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 am
Simply put, this is a scam and you won’t get anything. If someone got hold of cheap Behringer surplus Model Ds they would sell that stock to some established retailer or something like that (which happend when Hartmann didn’t pay the chineese factory building the Neuron VS and the factory subsequently sold the stock to musicstore.de). They would not set up some online shop just to unload the stock piece by piece at a price much lower than it needs to be.
Not that I don't suspect it's a scam, but the shop has all sorts of goods for sale not just the Model D. I don't think you can be specific about how people will try to sell stolen goods. My comment was really just a throwaway comment anyway.
Last edited by dubonaire on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Contact your bank.
Have them give you ALL the history to your account. Not just what you see on the app.
Scammers will do a .01 charge and refund to see if it is a legit account. Then they might do a .25 charge and refund.
Then just nail the account and disappears.
The bank doesn't notify of an unusual charge as it is someone you have had "multiple" transactions with.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

Return to “General Gear”