Korg Wavestate

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

CoreInside
Wiggling with Experience

Korg Wavestate

Post by CoreInside » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:07 pm

tenembre
Common Wiggler

Re: Korg Wavestate

Post by tenembre » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm

If it has the microtuning features of the minilogue / prologue series, I'm all in. Hopefully the manual will be posted soon.

SynapseCollapse
Common Wiggler

Post by SynapseCollapse » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Looking forward to this one, it looks like a pretty serious improvement over the original wavestation ui

https://imgur.com/0AM6ttV?r

I’m guessing we will see officially specs / manuals soon

Unborn Gore
Common Wiggler

Post by Unborn Gore » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Uh....

...what to sell, what to sell...

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:51 am

shaft9000
wait, what?

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:20 am

oh hey synapse.
it's been a while for me, too :mrgreen:

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/korg-wavestate

Looks rather sweet. 64 poly, 6+1 sequences/'lanes' at a time ( x4 multimbral or ?...isn't clear yet).
I can't get past that it responds to poly AT...yet the dang keyboard doesn't even have mono AT...in 2020.
Still no flying cars, and still no polyAT on anything that isn't rare as hen's teeth. :mad:

I'm sure it'll make for a fine techno or hiphop machine.
Those 3 'lil octaves, though - *sigh* by itself it's not a soundtrack/filmscore instrument that's any further expressive than the original was, I'm afear'd.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youtube.com/shaft9000 ◄ modcan+euro demo:study
shaft9000.muffwiggler.com ◄ singles:mp3
shaft9000.bandcamp.com ◄ album

danatkorg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by danatkorg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 am

Re lanes, here's the relevant info from korg.com:

Wave Sequencing 2.0

With the Wavestation, each step of a Wave Sequence had a duration, a sample, and a pitch. This created ear-catching patterns–but the patterns repeated the same way, over and over. What if they could evolve in organic, unexpected ways, instead of just repeating?

Wave Sequencing 2.0 splits apart the timing, the sequence of samples, and the melody, so that each can be manipulated independently. Also added are new characteristics including shapes, gate times, and step sequencer values. Each of these is a “Lane,” and each Lane can have a different number of steps and its own start, end, and loop points.

Every time the sequence moves forward, the individual Lanes are combined to create the output. For instance, a sample may be matched with a different duration, pitch, shape, gate length, and step sequence value every time that it plays. You can modulate each Lane’s start, end, and loop points separately for every note, using velocity, LFOs, envelopes, Mod Knobs, or other controllers. Each note in a chord can be playing something different!

Lanes can also randomize the step order every time they play, with realtime control over the range of included steps. Finally, individual steps can be randomly skipped, with a modulatable probability from 0 to 100%. The result is organic, ever-changing sounds that respond to your control. The four onboard arpeggiators can interact with Wave Sequences for even more possibilities.

As a side note, the “Lane” concept is inspired in part by the methods of 20th-century serialist composers such as Pierre Boulez. Of course, in the wavestate you can play it polyphonically from the keyboard, controlling and modulating the Lanes (or, in 12-tone speak, "rows") and event probabilities in real-time and separately for each note, if desired...and of course the pitch Lane doesn't need to play melodies; it can just introduce subtle detuning, or occasional octaves, etc.

When I was first explaining the idea to everyone, the person who picked up on it most quickly wasn't an engineer, but a classically trained musician.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:06 am

This is super cool. It shows what needs to be done to compete with Behringer. They've got the clones and reiussues covered so it's great to see other companies doing something else. Innovating. Though unfortunately the official Korg video is really quite excruciating...

Voltcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:24 am

More and more and more reviews and impressions and tutorials popping up.. Wonder how long the reviewers have had it in their hands already.

P.s. Another vote for Korg releasing the module version sooner than later.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:34 am

Funny seeing re-cycling synth trends, in FFW.
We went from analog mono synths to wavetable/vector synths, with realistic piano sounds, in a jiffy.

Not my kind of thing this one, mainly because of the actual sound but its cool to see something like this coming out.

feutche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by feutche » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:20 am

tenembre wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm
If it has the microtuning features of the minilogue / prologue series, I'm all in. Hopefully the manual will be posted soon.
Manual doesn't say too much it seems but at least it has a screenshot where you can define global scale and on the screenshot there's equal and Kirnberger temperaments mentioned. Not sure if it's the same way as minilogue

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:39 am

It’s already up for preorder at Sweetwater....
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

pricklyrobot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 am

I never got in on the Wavestation/vector synthesis thing in the past. Then just recently, kind of on a whim (and they had a sale on too, I think), I picked up the iWavestation app for my iPad. I’ve really been enjoying it, though I feel like I’m just scratching the surface of the programming complexity so far.

Don’t have the space/cash for a Wavestate right now, but it’s nice to know there’ll second-hand ones floating around in a few years;)

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 am

Heh, just the other day I was wondering when/if vector synths would ever be a thing again. It looks more friendly to program than the Wavestation, too. I might actually have to get on this.
So when is Sequential gonna make a successor to the Prophet VS?

galaxie
Common Wiggler

Post by galaxie » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:43 am

Definitely on my list to try. Seeing new synths on budget price makes me wonder why going all the eurorack way. Fun and cost-friendly time for synth heads.

feutche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by feutche » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 am

So I can't really load my own samples into this thing? Oh.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:04 am

i'm getting a lot of side eye from my ion right now. quite interesting.

so it's 4 voices with a vector panner? so for example that piano sample could be layered 4 different ways and pan through each setting. could be cool with some thought into it, would like to hear more than all those generic soundtrack pad examples the reviews are showing.
Last edited by dooj88 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:07 am

definitely interested. i much prefer digital synthesizers and stuff thats not strictly analog modeling. usually these machines feature less than stellar programming interfaces but this looks easily tweakable.
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOO FAR GONE

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:24 am

Funch wrote:But its not about hate, its about using our purchasing power to support positive outcomes. And sometimes the positive outcome that benefits the community as a whole may go against what we perceive as our personal self interest, such as buying an inexpensive synthesizer from a bad actor.

And logically how can I judge and conclude that any member here is a hater, or an elitist, or a snob Etc.

I don't know them or their true hearts.

I would recommend you read The Righteous Mind by moral psychologist Jonathan Hater. Here's a quote.

"Morality binds and blinds. It binds us into ideological teams that fight each other as though the fate of the world depended on our side winning each battle. It blinds us to the fact that each team is composed of good people who have something important to say."
how about let's just discuss instruments instead of bullshit. please leave the manufacturers alone, or go start a different thread in off-topic or members-only, Funch.

anwyays, inexpensive or not the korg wavestate looks amazing! :cat:

cheers
"i'd rather be more like the o-o-o-cean. no talking, man, all action..." --jane's addiction

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:09 pm

May well be my first non-modular purchase in several years. I've always wanted a Wavestation, and have been on the verge of buying a cheap old one several times.

Only bummer is not being able to add custom samples, but so many cool features otherwise!

Funch

Post by Funch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:54 pm

numan7 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:24 am
Funch wrote:But its not about hate, its about using our purchasing power to support positive outcomes. And sometimes the positive outcome that benefits the community as a whole may go against what we perceive as our personal self interest, such as buying an inexpensive synthesizer from a bad actor.

And logically how can I judge and conclude that any member here is a hater, or an elitist, or a snob Etc.

I don't know them or their true hearts.

I would recommend you read The Righteous Mind by moral psychologist Jonathan Hater. Here's a quote.

"Morality binds and blinds. It binds us into ideological teams that fight each other as though the fate of the world depended on our side winning each battle. It blinds us to the fact that each team is composed of good people who have something important to say."
how about let's just discuss instruments instead of bullshit. please leave the manufacturers alone, or go start a different thread in off-topic or members-only, Funch.

anwyays, inexpensive or not the korg wavestate looks amazing! :cat:

cheers
why did you pull a quote of mine out of a the Behringer Cat thread and place it in a Korg Wavestate thread?

FWIW, I purchased when it came out and still have the Korg Wavestation A/D. Korg actually worked cooperatively with Dave Smith to design the Wavestation. That is (or maybe was) the expected norm.

If I remember correctly, You could build 4 wave sequences per patch and use or assign different vectors (joy stick) to modulate the patch in order to avoid a sameness to the sequence.

And FWIW, the post you quoted is about promoting Civil behavior through understanding vs. the fallacy of member to member derogatory name-calling when you don't agree with the other persons POV (in lieu of a reasonable counter argument).

Cheerio

Edit to correct a word
Last edited by Funch on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:04 pm

This thing is really dope... Having just gotten into Euro I can easily pass this through some sweet analog filters...

This kit goes after the Digitone more than anything, IMO. I reallllly wish it had aftertouch but the joystick is a suitably exchange. I'd also prefer a module but... maybe I'll snag this and sell it when the time comes and a module is released.
Zymos wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:09 pm
May well be my first non-modular purchase in several years. I've always wanted a Wavestation, and have been on the verge of buying a cheap old one several times.

Only bummer is not being able to add custom samples, but so many cool features otherwise!
This is my gripe as well.. I'm really hoping Korg releases at minimum, some sort of basic app that allows us to replace samples in the memory. Replace, not necessarily add, it's totally doable. No different than how they added them in the first place, but with a nice UI.

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Kinda wish they would’ve added 2 or even 4 cv inputs. Very cool synth otherwise.

danatkorg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by danatkorg » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:49 pm

My favorite video so far:

tenembre
Common Wiggler

Post by tenembre » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:12 pm

feutche wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:20 am
tenembre wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm
Manual doesn't say too much it seems but at least it has a screenshot where you can define global scale and on the screenshot there's equal and Kirnberger temperaments mentioned. Not sure if it's the same way as minilogue
Indeed, it looks like selection from a scale list is there, but no mention of editing or replacing the built-in scales, even by sys-ex. The minilogue XD scales can be dumped in or out and edited on the unit (which is surprisingly useful). Fairly disappointing. However, they may add it in; they did go back and add full microtuning to the Minilogue & Prologue. I guess I'll wait and see.

Return to “General Gear”