handheld music making options (MIDI synced!)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

borututu f.
Learning to Wiggle

handheld music making options (MIDI synced!)

Post by borututu f. » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:30 am

Hello!

I just found myself returning to the idea of adding some kind of handheld game-device for some weird digital sounds to my MIDI-based setup. Some years ago I had a DMG-01 Gameboy and a nanoloop 1 cartridge, but never managed to build an "arduinoboy" MIDI-interface for it. Then I tried to install a backlight, broke the whole thing and sold the nanoloop cartridge.

Now I've looked into nanoloop 2 for gameboy advance, which seems to be pretty cool, but getting it would be expensive and time consuming: I'd need to buy a gameboy advance, the nanoloop 2 catridge, a link cable and the nanoloop USB-to-link cable adaptor for MIDI sync the nanoloop guy is selling (currently sold out). Then to make it work on stage I'd probably need a backlight too and there'd be at least 2 cables attached to the GBA.

So I was wondering if there are better and maybe cheaper options out there - maybe some program for raspberry pi or those chinese linux handheld gaming-things used for emulation? I know LittleGPTracker and made some stuff with that on windows, but it's not as quick as nanoloop and only has MIDI out. SunVox is interesting too, but I don't like the sequencer and it can't really be used without a mouse or touchscreen.

Any hints appreciated!

Schrank
Common Wiggler

Re: handheld music making options (MIDI synced!)

Post by Schrank » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:06 am

What about the new Nanoloop device?
I don't think it's available yet, but looks pretty cool with midi and very long battery life.

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 am

Not super cheap, needs to be soldered, and would require a USB midi cable/interface, but since you mention Raspberry Pi, I'm having oodles of fun with the Fates I built during the holidays. It is basically an open source/DIY version of Monome Norns, a whole ecosystem of fun sequencers/synths/effects all built in Supercollider. You can also run Orac on it, another large ecosystem based on Pure Data.

https://llllllll.co/t/fates-a-diy-norns ... y-pi/22999

borututu f.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borututu f. » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks, I saw the nanoloop dedicated device, but it somehow didn't spark my interest - maybe I'll have to take a closer look.
Fates looks super cool! Soldering wouldn't be a big deal, but it's indeed not very cheap (much more reachable than an organelle though). I think I'll read more on this, although it's not the manipulated game-device I was looking for.

Another thing I found is called picoloop. It's a nanoloop clone running 4 tracks with different synth engines. Maybe it could be run on a shady linux handheld. I'll try it on windows first. :party:

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 pm

borututu f.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borututu f. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 am

blipson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 pm
Artiphon Orba?
While I have to admit that some of the examples sound nice, I'm afraid they combined too many horrible contemporary adverstising trends and overdone design for me. :omg:

I tried picoloop on windows and it's good, definitely capable of some nanoloop-like repetetive techno. Now I'll have to find a GP2X or OpenDingux-capable handheld that's cheap.

chachi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chachi » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 am

bummer that nanoloop device doesn’t sample like the app.

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:46 pm

If you're tempted by organelle; they've released their PD software so you can try it out on a desktop. It will run on a raspberry pi too. Lots of nice, focused PD instruments and they add new ones all the time; and of course you can make your own.

Return to “General Gear”