Clavia Nord Wave 2

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

talfred
Wiggling with Experience

Clavia Nord Wave 2

Post by talfred » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:19 am

Clavia's new synth for 2020, the Nord Wave 2.
I was of course hoping for a Nord Modular 3, but not this year either. Anyway, here's the video:

hox3d
Common Wiggler

Re: Clavia Nord Wave 2

Post by hox3d » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:31 am

Yeah, it looks really nice.
I suppose if I had 2000+ bucks, that would be the keyboard I'd buy. Definitely love Clavia.

BTW, I never really understood Nord about that: they seem to have many many products 'conflicting' between them.
Many of their keyboards main features are shared, making their products highly-specific but not too different (see what I mean?).
I wonder why, as it would seem a risky move commercially.
Matte-fueled habits

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am

Very nice. Seems to be a direct competitor to the Sequential Prophet X.
I'll be interested to try one out when they hit the stores.

JimY
Common Wiggler

Post by JimY » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 am

People have been asking for a new Wave for so long, most had given up. You can never guess what Nord will do next. Personally, I have seen too much of their "keep pressing that button until the right led lights - oops! Too far, press around again" user interface. Give it a feckin' rotary switch!

chvad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chvad » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm

my eye is on this for sure. sees to hit a hell of a lot of the right boxes.
JimY wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 am
Personally, I have seen too much of their "keep pressing that button until the right led lights - oops! Too far, press around again" user interface. Give it a feckin' rotary switch!
As an older Atari kid... those buttons might be one of my favorite things about Nord shit. I love the sound. It's fast. I wish most of my synths were like this.

Everything about Clavia interface design speaks to me. Their history supporting the computer end of things for some of their other products not so much. The life span of support for the Modular and previous Wave leave something to be desired. That's the only thing keeping me on the fence.

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Nord wave was kind of a fun synth, definetely more than a sum of it's parts.
But yeah, it is the nord modular 3 where it's at. We all want that.

...I mean look at it, the modulation section..
1lfo, ad/ar and I guess some "morphing"..wtf?
Give it some potential already!

SteeVtheRipper
Common Wiggler

Post by SteeVtheRipper » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Yeah 1 LFO seems a little underwhelming considering it’s digital and you have things like (insert so many other synths but to name one....) the Hydrasynth from a brand new company for about half the price stacked with 5 LFOs and 5 DAHDSR (or whatever the order is) envelopes....and can also do Fm, wavetable and VA. I can’t pretend to understand how it all comes to form....features/size/price. I’m often left scratching my head over seemingly similar products that are spec’d and priced wildly different.

But maybe it will sound good! I like the layers and the 48 voice poly, that means if you have all 4 layers going you have 12 voices each. And with 4 layers there def will be some good opportunities for sound design and getting really amazing.....eh whatevs lol I’m rambling...yay synths!

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:03 pm

peripatitis wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:07 pm
...I mean look at it, the modulation section..
1lfo, ad/ar and I guess some "morphing"..wtf?
Give it some potential already!
This has always been Nord's method of operation... they always seem to move laterally forward, never directly forward with progress. Who knows why they do the things they do. They have some of the biggest selling keyboard/synth products of all time under their belt - if they made wiser decisions in successive models; they would probably be a contender for the top spot in the business, but they are constantly 'giving and taking away' when they release a new instrument. They make a few of my favorite synths of all time, but I am never 100% satisfied with an updated model from them - however I am accepting of the ridiculous 1 LFO per layer (2 I suppose since there's one for vibrato....) because at least they put aftertouch on it this time. As for the AD/AR, well thank god they're solely independent mod envelopes and that they did include a separate ADSR for the filter and amp section and did not do what they did with the A1. And a gigabyte of memory for Nord is decadent for them, but when compared to the storage offerings of every other manufacturer.... it's still rather weak. :doh:

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am
Very nice. Seems to be a direct competitor to the Sequential Prophet X.
I'll be interested to try one out when they hit the stores.
As an admitted Nord synthesizer 'fanboy' I was ecstatic hearing about the release, of the long-dreamt-about, Wave 2... until I read your comment and remembered that it's about time I tried a Prophet X; as it seems to be exactly the thing I've been looking for. Of course I haven't heard the Wave 2 yet, I do own a MK1 Wave, but I still don't think this will be able to truly compete with the power of the Prophet X.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm

I like the demos I am hearing and the specs look nice. Strange they went with 61 key over their usual 49, but I am guessing this to appeal even more to performing musicians. 48 voice poly is dope assuming selecting certain functions or parameters doesn't start reducing it. Looks like FX are per part and the layout looks great.

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:13 pm

The 1gb memory seems a bit lame, hopefully there is a USB port on back for a flash drive. Would also be nice if it can immediately sample its own output.

Return to “General Gear”