Arturia Keystep pro

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Estes
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Arturia Keystep pro

Post by Estes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:59 pm

No Micro USB! :goo:

kay_k
Veteran Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:02 am

Estes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:59 pm
No Micro USB! :goo:
yeah that f***n USB port on the BSP is so fragile I had to repair mine twice, not sure if the pads will suffer thru a third time!
I also wonder if that thing still has the USB noise problem the BSP had.

zoneswithoutpeople
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zoneswithoutpeople » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Looks really cool... tons of outputs, wow. Just wish it had full size keys and maybe another octave, then it would be perfect. I find it much harder to play on mini keys.

gloamtrotter
1-Post Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 am

Was considering getting an endorphin.es ground control when it finally comes out but now I’m thinking this might be a better way to go. $300 cheaper too

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Keystep pro coming

Post by StillNotWorking » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:47 am

TheRosskonian wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:19 am
StillNotWorking wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:53 am
My crystal ball foresees there are a commercial 9U rack forthcoming where this device can be mounted on a hing plate function as partial front cover for easy transportation and setup. Maybe another one that are 6U + 1 U and deep enough to host a mutitimbral rack synth :75:
Looking at the pictures on the website, I didn't spot any mounting points on the sides like the rackbrute/minibrute system has. Such a shame as I think the Link System is a really cool concept that they seemed to have abandoned. Arturia did say it is open source though, so maybe someday someone else will adapt to it.
Yes 3. party. Probably steel bottom plate on this one too, — that stick to magnets.

BTW a tip to those tired of defective connectors are to tape a cardboard or metall plate to the bottom, — sticking out 30-50mm behind the back. Then tape cable (not connector body) to the plate, or drill holes and use strips. Then any movement will be taken up by the flexible cable rather than the flimsy connector.

ckwjr
Common Wiggler

Post by ckwjr » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 pm

A Beatstep Pro +2(Keystep) makes so much sense - just wish it had happened before I bought a Beatstep Pro and a Keystep. Whatcha gonna do.

thetechnobear
Common Wiggler

Post by thetechnobear » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 am

hmm, i need a portable keyboard ....

I guess this can be used as a midi to cv converter (midi in -> cv outs) like the beatstep.

does anyone know what the latency of the beat step was like for midiin-> cv.

(I'd read about sloppy sequencer timing, but that's not **that** important to me, really I just need a cv keyboard and midi to cv converter)

ReverseShuffle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ReverseShuffle » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:10 pm

I placed an order for an Arturia KeyStep Pro. My main studio setup is controlled by a Pioneer DJ Toraiz SQUID. However, the KeyStep Pro will be used for a smaller studio setup with idle synths, drum machines,outboard and other gear I have available.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:30 pm

Does anyone know if it can record parameter locks?
THUMPR BC SC

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:06 pm

As s controller parameter locks don't mean anything as there are no 'parameters'. I see there's 4 poly sequencers, don't know how will work as CV yet, the only other parameter it it's the same as the BSP is velocity. AFAIK there's no recording of paramters from an external device (if that's what you mean).
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:10 pm

As it has 8 outputs of CV, a 'parameter' is anything you want to send CV, and since you have several knobs and a few sliders maybe you can record the modwheel motion within a sequence...?

I know it's a controller. Maybe I should've said 'motion sequence' or automation lane, but I thought they were synonymous.
THUMPR BC SC

Man-In-A-Suitcase
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Man-In-A-Suitcase » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 am

This thing is not out for another couple of months yet, still too high priced though.

040B
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 040B » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm

So what’s the real benefit (IF any) of this Keystep pro over a BSP + keystep combi?

I am just getting in to this modular thing, and was going to buy a beatstep next. Wondering if I should just go for this one instead. :hmm:

StillNotWorking
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StillNotWorking » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:09 pm

Polyphony, more program memory might give even more options to come

CalvaryBand
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CalvaryBand » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:23 pm

040B wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:47 pm
So what’s the real benefit (IF any) of this Keystep pro over a BSP + keystep combi?

I am just getting in to this modular thing, and was going to buy a beatstep next. Wondering if I should just go for this one instead. :hmm:
Scenes and pattern chaining are a big improvement over what is included in the base model Keystep. That and you have 4 pattern layers vs just one on the Keystep. The Pro could be the center of your rig while the original Keystep works best as an attachment to one synth/modular setup.
Jordan Passmore -
ONInstagram / Live synth sessions.

Return to “General Gear”