Sequential Pro 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequential Pro 3

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Divinital wrote:
Is there any mono synth on the market that has different filters routed into each other? Not just LP -> HP, or something like the Novation Summit or Pro 2, but actual different sounding filters regardless of their frequency responses routed into each other? Like on the Pro 3 it’d be a Moog routed into a Prophet 6... I mean, I already preordered and love everything about this synth, but that would be a very interesting prospect.

Dave Smith said he likes the basics but this is a pretty complex synth overall, capability wise. I can’t think of any synths with filter routing options that aren’t digitally controlled.
The Pro 2's filters are 2 different types--2 pole and 4 pole.
MatrixBrute has a ladder and Steiner. Analog Four/Keys has a 12dB and 6dB.

And yeah, I'm guessing he meant simple from the UI standpoint because this thing is pretty deep. Looking forward to getting my hands on all of those sequencers!

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Divinital wrote:
Is there any mono synth on the market that has different filters routed into each other? Not just LP -> HP, or something like the Novation Summit or Pro 2, but actual different sounding filters regardless of their frequency responses routed into each other? Like on the Pro 3 it’d be a Moog routed into a Prophet 6... I mean, I already preordered and love everything about this synth, but that would be a very interesting prospect.

Dave Smith said he likes the basics but this is a pretty complex synth overall, capability wise. I can’t think of any synths with filter routing options that aren’t digitally controlled.

And yeah, I'm guessing he meant simple from the UI standpoint because this thing is pretty deep. Looking forward to getting my hands on all of those sequencers!
I supposed I meant differently than decibels, I mean down to the electronics used to make them, I’m not too familiar with the history of filters. Is dB really the only way to differentiate them or are there say, various 24dB filters that have unique characteristics? I typed this before Googling..

How many decibels are the P6 and OB-6 filters, I suppose that would answer my question? I read the P6 is a a 24dB filter which is what I mean. It would be soooo dope to have a Moog ladder 24dB routed into a P6 24dB with continuously variable shapes... I meant routings between various 24dB filters, or various 12dB filters moreso than a 24dB into a 12dB designed by a single company which are inherently similar to each other, but that’s an option too as long as they’re nice and different, say the creamy OB into the P6 or vice versa. Sorry. I guess MatrixBrute comes close, Pro 2 still uses two versions of a Curtis?

Damn, now that I think about it it is a bit of a missed opportunity but it’s all good. Can’t wait to get mine!

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 pm
GuyaGuy wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Divinital wrote:

I supposed I meant differently than decibels, I mean down to the electronics used to make them, I’m not too familiar with the history of filters. Is dB really the only way to differentiate them or are there say, various 24dB filters that have unique characteristics? I typed this before Googling..

How many decibels are the P6 and OB-6 filters, I suppose that would answer my question? I read the P6 is a a 24dB filter which is what I mean. It would be soooo dope to have a Moog ladder 24dB routed into a P6 24dB with continuously variable shapes... I meant routings between various 24dB filters, or various 12dB filters moreso than a 24dB into a 12dB designed by a single company which are inherently similar to each other, but that’s an option too as long as they’re nice and different, say the creamy OB into the P6 or vice versa. Sorry. I guess MatrixBrute comes close, Pro 2 still uses two versions of a Curtis?

Damn, now that I think about it it is a bit of a missed opportunity but it’s all good. Can’t wait to get mine!
I'll let someone with more of an EE background explain the technical differences:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/further-filters

But in short the electronic circuits used to make them define the dB and all of the ones I mentioned are different filter circuits. P2 has an Oberheim and a Prophet filter. The Elektron has a ladder filter and a 6dB (not sure if it's based on anything).

But there are plenty of other ways of controlling timbre on this thing: FM the filter and modulate FM amount, FM a VCO with another VCO while LFOing the second VCO with the wavetable osc, use the fx section highpass or phaser/all pass filter, modulate the waveshape with an EG, etc. Lots of options!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 pm

Divinital wrote: Pro 2 still uses two versions of a Curtis?
No, the Pro 2 has discreet filters, not the Curtis chips. From the Sequential site:
https://www.sequential.com/product/pro-2/ wrote: At the heart of the Pro 2’s gutsy sound is its all-new dual filter design. Filter 1 is a 4-pole low-pass design inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter. Filter 2 is a state-variable design inspired by the Oberheim SEM and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, EME, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:34 pm

davidjames wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:10 pm
Divinital wrote: Pro 2 still uses two versions of a Curtis?
No, the Pro 2 has discreet filters, not the Curtis chips. From the Sequential site:
https://www.sequential.com/product/pro-2/ wrote: At the heart of the Pro 2’s gutsy sound is its all-new dual filter design. Filter 1 is a 4-pole low-pass design inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter. Filter 2 is a state-variable design inspired by the Oberheim SEM and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
Ok thanks!

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 am

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:22 pm
Fentune wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:24 am
Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am
Fentune wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am
Twa@? Has to be NoBeats :lol:
Wtf? I honestly stopped the video after about 30 seconds.
... (dude in the video) yet another moron that started smoking weed before he stopped breast feeding.
He's clearly not all there...I feel bad for him actually, even if he is a total moron.

Noiseconformist
Common Wiggler

Post by Noiseconformist » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Poptones wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Here are a couple of factory sounds I've programmed for the Pro 3:

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/sets/sequential-pro-3
Nice one! :yay:
"Paraphonic Prophet" totally reminded me on Dave Greenslade ...

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 am

Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 am
that chipmunk jonesy meth head on YouTube
I fear that guy needs help. To put it another way, I can see why Tim Shoebridge has declined to give Mr Jones his phone number.

Not sure the Behringer camp benefits from Chipmunk's hardsell either. Whereas the Red Means Recording 'preset surf' has given the Pro 3 a big lift for me; Jeremy makes it sound much better than any other Pro 3 clip I've heard.

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am

Looks cool but I’d have preferred an upgrade to the Pro2 concept with hi res FPGA oscillators with more wavetables, thru zero FM etc...

Seems like a great synth though

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:45 pm

the above video is quite strange, $1600 for the standard pro 3 is a great deal. He doesn't seem to realize the LE version has a hinged panel design and is only $100 more than the pro2 was originally. :hmm: not bashing the guy as we are all on our own path but dang no other company is offering this much synth for that money.

daveholiday
Ultra Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:06 pm

That video is something special for sure...Holy Shit!
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rean1mator » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:32 pm

Haha, not sure which is funnier, the video or the people up in arms and literally trying to comment in any remotely serious way about that video. some of you mf'ers take yourself far toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo seriously.

step away from your synth, take a deep breath and go watch a Netflix comedy special.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Licudi wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 am
Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 am
that chipmunk jonesy meth head on YouTube
I fear that guy needs help. To put it another way, I can see why Tim Shoebridge has declined to give Mr Jones his phone number.

Not sure the Behringer camp benefits from Chipmunk's hardsell either. Whereas the Red Means Recording 'preset surf' has given the Pro 3 a big lift for me; Jeremy makes it sound much better than any other Pro 3 clip I've heard.
Thanks for mentioning, missed that demo up to now and experienced the same.
Gaun Yersel!

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:33 pm

pix wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am
Looks cool but I’d have preferred an upgrade to the Pro2 concept with hi res FPGA oscillators with more wavetables, thru zero FM etc...

All that does sound great, was it linear FM that was added to the pro2 in later update or did it always have expo and linear?

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:16 pm

I don't know...looking at this doesn't make me want to play it. Loved my Pro One though.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 pm

estin wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:33 pm
pix wrote:

All that does sound great, was it linear FM that was added to the pro2 in later update or did it always have expo and linear?
It was added in a fw update. Hoping for the same on the Pro 3!

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:16 am

pix wrote:

thru zero FM would have me thinking about selling my Pro2 for it. I was also hoping for more wavetables and maybe a voice of the Prophet X sampling engine.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 am

dkcg wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:16 am
pix wrote:

thru zero FM would have me thinking about selling my Pro2 for it. I was also hoping for more wavetables and maybe a voice of the Prophet X sampling engine.
TZ FM and a wavefolder would have me thinking about selling my Euro!
At least it has the CV so I can FM a Euro VCO with a Pro 3 Osc or feed the Pro 3 through a folder and feed it back in.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 pm
estin wrote:
pix wrote:

not so easy (or just impossible) since this are analog oscillators...it depends of the hardware signal routing and oscillator control implementation

the Pro-2 oscillators are 100% DSP so it´s just a matter of program it

estin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by estin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:38 am

^ dang I for some reason missed the Pro-3 has analog vcos and not the digital ones. I might be learning a bit more towards the pro-2 I guess.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:44 pm

anselmi wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am
GuyaGuy wrote:
estin wrote:
pix wrote:

not so easy (or just impossible) since this are analog oscillators...it depends of the hardware signal routing and oscillator control implementation

Yeah I’m doubting we will see it on the VCOs.
estin wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:38 am
^ dang I for some reason missed the Pro-3 has analog vcos and not the digital ones. I might be learning a bit more towards the pro-2 I guess.
2 VCOs, 1 wavetable osc that morphs across 16 waves vs 3 on the Pro 2. And 512 waveforms on the 3 vs 32 on the 2. Just one vs four though.

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:00 am

anselmi wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

The oscillators are digitized and can be used as (audio-rate) modulation sources for anything so that part isn't a problem. Supposedly the modulation bus runs at 48kHz.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 am

Low Life wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:00 am
anselmi wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

The oscillators are digitized and can be used as (audio-rate) modulation sources for anything so that part isn't a problem. Supposedly the modulation bus runs at 48kHz.
It can definitely do FM but only exponential. But the VCOs would need an additional circuit to make linear FM to work—I believe an inverted and some other bits. It’s unlikely Sequential would have included that hardware but not the feature.

Low Life
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Low Life » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 am

GuyaGuy wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 am
It can definitely do FM but only exponential. But the VCOs would need an additional circuit to make linear FM to work—I believe an inverted and some other bits. It’s unlikely Sequential would have included that hardware but not the feature.
Maybe a dumb question as I am not super well-versed in FM synthesis, but would it be possible to "just" map the digitized oscillator values so that it acts like linear FM when sent to a VCO's exponential pitch input?

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 am

Low Life wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:00 am
really? where did you got this info?

If it´s true it´s easy to use tables to perform line FM since once in the digital domain data is data, and can be treated as is, no matter where it is originated. It could be some issues because of the A/D process though.

I hope they use a higher sample rate than 48 KHz.

Return to “General Gear”