Sequential Pro 3

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Sequential Pro 3

Post by rean1mator » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Man this thing sounds AMAZING....on paper. And sure does look the part. But goddman it sounds uber boring from the 30 minute Inhalt yt video i tried to watch. fell asleep afer 5 minutes. Really really wanted to like this one too as I've been wanting a Pro 2 for years.

I'm hoping it's just bad programming of the synth but felt the same way after someone posted some custom patches on Soundcloud as well..

stimresp
Common Wiggler

Post by stimresp » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm

Pro-2 is, hands-down, my favourite synthesizer. I have it paired with a 0-coast, which makes a really fantastic combo. I rarely use the sequencer, just play it as a mono, through a nice reverb, which keeps me endlessly entertained.

I don't see the Pro-3 as a replacement. Possibly complimentary, though the filters are the same. It sounds well beefy to my ears, I'm looking forward to taking one for a spin very soon.

Nice work from Dave and the team here.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 pm

rean1mator wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Man this thing sounds AMAZING....on paper. And sure does look the part. But goddman it sounds uber boring from the 30 minute Inhalt yt video i tried to watch. fell asleep afer 5 minutes. Really really wanted to like this one too as I've been wanting a Pro 2 for years.

I'm hoping it's just bad programming of the synth but felt the same way after someone posted some custom patches on Soundcloud as well..
stimresp wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 pm
Pro-2 is, hands-down, my favourite synthesizer. I have it paired with a 0-coast, which makes a really fantastic combo. I rarely use the sequencer, just play it as a mono, through a nice reverb, which keeps me endlessly entertained.

I don't see the Pro-3 as a replacement. Possibly complimentary, though the filters are the same. It sounds well beefy to my ears, I'm looking forward to taking one for a spin very soon.

Nice work from Dave and the team here.
Tastes differ obviously. Sounds like a beefy, interesting synth to me too. Not a successor to the Pro 2 indeed but also not particularly complimentary to it, just different.

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 pm
mome rath wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:45 pm
kind of surprised by your reaction here tbh!

this thing sounds like an evolver driving a camaro and wearing pit vipers
Ha I like to keep you guessing. And myself for that matter. So, for me, I really like the digital side of the Evolver oscillator section. I don't use the DCOs often, though they're nice to have. I've been lusting after a Pro 2 for quite a while. I'm just not super excited about this one. Particularly if it's true that only one filter can be used at a time. Ha I'm not saying I'll never buy it. But I probably will sit out preorders and see how it goes. It certainly seems like a nice instrument, and like all DSI stuff is feature packed. If it had all these features in a poly synth, even if it had a much larger price tag, I probably would be interested. Ha I dunno. I'm crazy I guess.
Completely lost opportunity that you can only use one filter at a time..if you could use them all in different combos simultaneously that'd make it a powerful contender to that crazy British unique mono in which you can so the same thing (forgot what it's called, not too many of them out there), as it is, it's not too exciting currently.

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:44 pm

There's an hpf as a digital effect, if its resonant like the other sequential fx ones then I really think that opens up a lot. It'd be super cool if you could have it pre the lpf.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 pm

phats wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:44 pm
There's an hpf as a digital effect, if its resonant like the other sequential fx ones then I really think that opens up a lot. It'd be super cool if you could have it pre the lpf.
The digital HPF is a great option in other DSI synths and can be modulated. BUT in other synths with multiple filters that allow flexible routing between oscillators and all filters (my experience is the Andromeda and One), many more sound design options are opened up. I agree that for me, it is a missed opportunity to allow use of only one filter at a time. It was obviously a design choice, probably related to over all cost and UI.

I should mention that I have a large array of synths at this point though, so it takes quite a bit to pique my interest at this point. Selling my Two Voice Pro to fund this and a used Pro 2 or something else has crossed my mind though! Haha. Two VCOs with the Oberheim filter, much more modulation options, CV IO, much more complex sequencing and preset recall.... for $2000 less than what I paid for my Two Voice Pro.

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:36 am

I like how Dave Smith describes it: the ultimate mono synth.

I don't have any DSI stuff to compare, did not grow up at a time when the original Prophet-5 was around, but it seems to me that Dave has put the best of analog and digital into this.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 am

You can use the wavetable to FM the VCOs. This is quite a big one, especially if you can drop the wavetable osc to LFO range and have key-trigger, reset it/hard sync it.

I didn't see a band pass filter on the panel, it has LP>Notch>HP...maybe its there and I couldn't make it out from the SonicState video.

I am starting to like this more now...still on the expensive side so maybe in a few years when people sell them for about a grand.

ugokcen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ugokcen » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 am

I think it's attractively priced - $1599 for the regular version - compared to other alternatives, say from Moog. And it beats everything in terms of features.

Voltcontrol
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:49 am

ugokcen wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:47 am
I think it's attractively priced - $1599 for the regular version - compared to other alternatives, say from Moog. And it beats everything in terms of features.
In terms of pricing both this and the Rev 2 are bang on imho.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 am

nectarios wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 am
You can use the wavetable to FM the VCOs. This is quite a big one, especially if you can drop the wavetable osc to LFO range and have key-trigger, reset it/hard sync it.

I didn't see a band pass filter on the panel, it has LP>Notch>HP...maybe its there and I couldn't make it out from the SonicState video.

I am starting to like this more now...still on the expensive side so maybe in a few years when people sell them for about a grand.
Sorry reported yr post instead of hitting quote , sorry mods!

Anyway , there is Bp switch under the state variable encoder as on ob6.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:20 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 am
nectarios wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 am

Sorry reported yr post instead of hitting quote , sorry mods!

:omg: Thanks. Confusing as hell!

Anyway , there is Bp switch under the state variable encoder as on ob6.

heckadecimal69
Common Wiggler

Post by heckadecimal69 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:24 am

Kent wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:20 am
:omg: Thanks. Confusing as hell!
That's how the SEM style filter works, and it's laid out similarly on Pro 2 (though as everyone has mentioned, with added routing options for the 2 filters as well).
The Abstrakt Instruments SEM filter cart also works this way with continuous morph between LPF > Notch > HPF, then a switch for BPF.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:31 am

I agree, for me with those filters and sequencing and everything else, it is the ultimate mono synth for someone that doesn’t like to own a ton of gear. The Summit and Pro 3 will be my only two standalone synths. Someday I’d like to own an ARP 2600 but that’s a while off, I only want full size. I can’t wait for the Pro 3, hopefully I’ll have it beginning of February and can post some demo tracks like I did with the Summit. I’ll be working on a more legitimate EP once the Pro 3 arrives :)

P.S. I still have that 15% off coupon for anyone that wants it :) $1,349 is a nice deal for this beast. I find it weird I don’t care for the SE, I like all black.

daveholiday
Veteran Wiggler

Post by daveholiday » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Long time Pro 2 user here......Just ordered a Pro 3. While I don't particularly care for any of the other DSI stuff, The inter-connectivity aspect of both the Pro 2 and Pro 3 make them must haves in my particular case.
It is all shits and giggles,

until somebody giggles and shits.

1040df
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 1040df » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Sounds great. But will not be selling my pro-2 to get one, or getting one for that matter. Still think it would be a great pick up if you skipped the pro-2.

bobule
Common Wiggler

Post by bobule » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 am

Hey all, one of the patch designers for the Pro-3 here, happy to answer any questions...

Here's a playlist of all my Pro-3 demos

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 am

bobule wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 am
Hey all, one of the patch designers for the Pro-3 here, happy to answer any questions...

Inb4 that chipmunk jonesy meth head on YouTube calls you out for being a fake like he did Inhalt.

Waiting patiently for my ultimate mono-synth to arrive :)

Listening now on my Sennhesiers, this thing just booms. Girth, heft, presence... all come to mind.

bobule
Common Wiggler

Post by bobule » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:49 am

Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 am
bobule wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 am

Inb4 that chipmunk jonesy meth head on YouTube calls you out for being a fake like he did Inhalt.

Waiting patiently for my ultimate mono-synth to arrive :)

Listening now on my Sennhesiers, this thing just booms. Girth, heft, presence... all come to mind.

Wow I just watched that guys video, what a tw@. Inhalt video is legit and linked from the Sequential website!!
ANYWAY... yes bold, proud, phat - I don't like superlatives but they are on the money here. It's loud and ballsy but will do soft as I tried to demo in my ..er demos!
Last edited by bobule on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am

Twa@? Has to be NoBeats :lol:

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am

Fentune wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am

Fentune
Common Wiggler

Post by Fentune » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:24 am

Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am
Fentune wrote:
Wtf? I honestly stopped the video after about 30 seconds.

toxoplasma_gondii
Learning to Wiggle

Post by toxoplasma_gondii » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 am

chaosick wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm
Completely lost opportunity that you can only use one filter at a time..if you could use them all in different combos simultaneously that'd make it a powerful contender to that crazy British unique mono in which you can so the same thing (forgot what it's called, not too many of them out there), as it is, it's not too exciting currently.
Yes. Dave Smith said that independent routing for all 3 filters would have been too complicated, but then why not just keep the same architecture as the Pro-2, but allow you to select which 2 of the 3 filters to combine, or even just switch the low-pass between the Prophet-6 and Ladder designs?

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm

toxoplasma_gondii wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 am
chaosick wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:34 pm
Yes. Dave Smith said that independent routing for all 3 filters would have been too complicated, but then why not just keep the same architecture as the Pro-2, but allow you to select which 2 of the 3 filters to combine, or even just switch the low-pass between the Prophet-6 and Ladder designs?
Is there any mono synth on the market that has different filters routed into each other? Not just LP -> HP, or something like the Novation Summit or Pro 2, but actual different sounding filters regardless of their frequency responses routed into each other? Like on the Pro 3 it’d be a Moog routed into a Prophet 6... I mean, I already preordered and love everything about this synth, but that would be a very interesting prospect.

Dave Smith said he likes the basics but this is a pretty complex synth overall, capability wise. I can’t think of any synths with filter routing options that aren’t digitally controlled.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Fentune wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:24 am
Divinital wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:49 am
Fentune wrote:
Wtf? I honestly stopped the video after about 30 seconds.
... (dude in the video) yet another moron that started smoking weed before he stopped breast feeding.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Return to “General Gear”