Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Post by monads » Fri May 08, 2020 12:13 am

Well I placed an order a few days ago for. No confirmation on shipping yet but been following this thread and user feedback. Wondering how it'll stack against a SammichFM? The immediate controls on the MegaFM is what drew me in. Plus I already have few others of Alex's instruments and like the company ;)

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Fri May 08, 2020 7:10 am

monads wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:13 am
Well I placed an order a few days ago for. No confirmation on shipping yet but been following this thread and user feedback. Wondering how it'll stack against a SammichFM? The immediate controls on the MegaFM is what drew me in. Plus I already have few others of Alex's instruments and like the company ;)
I'd be interested in your thoughts. I have a Crazy8 sequencer and think it has some nifty features for the price and the build quality is nice... (Hmmm at the end that almost was a poem, the meter was just off...)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri May 08, 2020 11:38 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 pm
That video is a good representation of the sound. Here's a couple things that I found that I have mentioned to Alex that were a little frustrating to me.

-there's no sustained release mode, i.e., new notes always cut off old ones if you have lifted fingers off original notes. This makes long drony pads impossible.

-the volume knob responds quite dramatically to gain and acts as its own source of overdrive/distortion. So there becomes some interplay between the "total volume" sliders and the volume knob. To keep volume drive effects to a minimum when TV levels are high, you have to keep to about 9 o'clock. This isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, but it's not documented in the manual and is definitely something you need to keep track of.

I also found some issues with the Reset function and patch loading, but this is minor and probably easily fixed. The other issues, being hardware, I'm not sure about, but the staccato release thing was pretty frustrating.
FYI for any folks curious about this--Alex is looking into all of these things. The envelope retrigger thing is probably fixable, which is great news.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 pm

Great news! Thanks for sharing. That retrigger problem really turned me off as 12 voice FM pads/drones was exactly my plan.

yoggyone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yoggyone » Sat May 09, 2020 1:31 am

not only for chiptune music anymore!

yoggyone
Learning to Wiggle

Post by yoggyone » Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 am

https://fr.audiofanzine.com/rack-numeri ... 47588.html

second person i see that directly resell it!

dadek
hrrmmm...

Post by dadek » Tue May 12, 2020 12:11 pm

I placed my order a couple months back, still waiting. Being quarantined makes me so less patient for these kind of preorders.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm

If anyone wants to resell there's for under $500 I'll pick it up from you.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm

yoggyone wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 am

Well, could be because they’re broke. Apparently the world wide economy isn’t so great.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue May 12, 2020 1:00 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:27 pm
yoggyone wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 am

Well, could be because they’re broke. Apparently the world wide economy isn’t so great.
that seller explicitly says "too gritty for my taste".

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 am

any news on shipping? mailed them a while back, no response... obviously these are different times etc

dadek
hrrmmm...

Post by dadek » Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 pm

I received a delayed response to my email last week that mine would be shipping early this week. [no tracking yet, but hoping...]
I do believe he’s a single man operation so probably slow going. Slow email response can be frustrating and worrisome these days.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Wed May 20, 2020 12:49 pm

They are shipping/going out! Just slowly.

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Wed May 20, 2020 2:48 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:

-there's no sustained release mode, i.e., new notes always cut off old ones if you have lifted fingers off original notes. This makes long drony pads impossible.
Yeah I find this one strange. Is it a hardware limitation of the chips?

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed May 20, 2020 3:11 pm

Angroc wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:48 pm
Sir Ruff wrote:

It doesn't appear to be. I think it was just how it was programmed in software (although how or why, I'm not sure) and Alex said he is going to try and fix it.

exit_only
Learning to Wiggle

Post by exit_only » Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm

i got mine last week. everything works as expected! I'm happy with it so far, lots of character for sure.

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Wed May 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:11 pm
Angroc wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:48 pm
Sir Ruff wrote:

It doesn't appear to be. I think it was just how it was programmed in software (although how or why, I'm not sure) and Alex said he is going to try and fix it.
It's good to hear that it's an issue he is aware of and working on. I was so confused by the voices being killed, looking over the documentation to see what I might've done wrong. Still, I find that when too many voices stack, that digital noise becomes a bit much. Works much better as a monophonic or duophonic instrument. So I don't know how much I am missing long, stacking release tails. Which is counter intuitive, it being 12 voiced. :roll: What I'd love is multi timbrality! Oh well. Still a great sounding instrument with loads of character. Great fun to program.

dadek
hrrmmm...

Post by dadek » Sat May 23, 2020 3:02 pm

exit_only wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:27 pm
lots of character for sure.
:sb: Awesome. That character is what I’m after. Really eager to hear this in my own space/speakers against the other FM variants I have these days.

chaosium
Common Wiggler

Post by chaosium » Mon May 25, 2020 12:39 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am
jollyal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:38 am
I'm just trying to figure out if I want to drop $600 on a thing I've seen two demos of so I'm voicing my concern that I plug it in and sound like mario.
I find the synth to be potentially interesting but also am not interested in something that makes retro video game music and think that part of the marketing is counterintuitive and somewhat of a turn off although I did appreciate the sound a mushroom would make when Mario squashed it although that was over 20 years ago.
You can make whatever kind of music you want, if you’re concerned about the chip, listen to some demos of what the chip can do.

Return to “General Gear”