Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun May 03, 2020 7:47 pm

That video is a good representation of the sound. Here's a couple things that I found that I have mentioned to Alex that were a little frustrating to me.

-there's no sustained release mode, i.e., new notes always cut off old ones if you have lifted fingers off original notes. This makes long drony pads impossible.

-the volume knob responds quite dramatically to gain and acts as its own source of overdrive/distortion. So there becomes some interplay between the "total volume" sliders and the volume knob. To keep volume drive effects to a minimum when TV levels are high, you have to keep to about 9 o'clock. This isn't necessarily a "bad" thing, but it's not documented in the manual and is definitely something you need to keep track of.

I also found some issues with the Reset function and patch loading, but this is minor and probably easily fixed. The other issues, being hardware, I'm not sure about, but the staccato release thing was pretty frustrating.

jollyal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyal » Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 pm

The (limited) demos sound great. I've always liked FM softsynths, never messed with hardware.

I think I want this but I also have no desire to make chiptune music.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Mon May 04, 2020 2:34 am

then get a modern fm

jollyal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyal » Mon May 04, 2020 8:23 am

I do appreciate the sonic qualities of the MEGAfm. Imo, this has a distinct character to it compared to other modern digital synths. I just don't know how versatile that character is and how useful it is for my purposes. If it's exclusively a chiptune machine built for nostalgia, then I'm not that interested, but I'm curious to hear how people plan to use this.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon May 04, 2020 8:49 am

jollyal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:23 am
I do appreciate the sonic qualities of the MEGAfm. Imo, this has a distinct character to it compared to other modern digital synths. I just don't know how versatile that character is and how useful it is for my purposes. If it's exclusively a chiptune machine built for nostalgia, then I'm not that interested, but I'm curious to hear how people plan to use this.
I'm not sure what gives you the ongoing impression that this is specifically a "chiptune" synth. It's a 4 OP FM synth that just happened to be used in game music.

jollyal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyal » Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 am

I mean, the branding pretty clearly references SEGA. And other synths Twisted Electrons has made (specifically happiNES and deton8) are pretty tied to a retro videogame sound. I wouldn't buy a happines expecting to make anything other than something that sounds cranked out of a nintendo.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon May 04, 2020 9:32 am

jollyal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 am
I mean, the branding pretty clearly references SEGA. And other synths Twisted Electrons has made (specifically happiNES and deton8) are pretty tied to a retro videogame sound. I wouldn't buy a happines expecting to make anything other than something that sounds cranked out of a nintendo.
Feel like we're going in circles here. In any case this obviously isn't for you.

jollyal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jollyal » Mon May 04, 2020 9:38 am

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to drop $600 on a thing I've seen two demos of so I'm voicing my concern that I plug it in and sound like mario.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon May 04, 2020 10:14 am

jollyal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:38 am
I'm just trying to figure out if I want to drop $600 on a thing I've seen two demos of so I'm voicing my concern that I plug it in and sound like mario.
I find the synth to be potentially interesting but also am not interested in something that makes retro video game music and think that part of the marketing is counterintuitive and somewhat of a turn off although I did appreciate the sound a mushroom would make when Mario squashed it although that was over 20 years ago.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 am

I would definitely say that if you think this is a chiptune machine you shouldn't buy it.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 am

4 operator fm is quite capable of many timbres. this chip is just not as clean sounding as new fm. i would say this thing is not stuck in video game land but will sound like the time it came from. you have heard it many times inside and outside of game music. its the same sound source that roger troutman used for his talk box vocals or that drexciya used for their records or that made the infamous ‘lately bass’ patch that every geek wants to reproduce. this is capable of frightening bass and dirty highs. the only thing it lacks is ultra deep and clear high resolution tones that you get from modern fm. if you use it right you should have decent results.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm

My point is that the MEGAfm typeface and all probably does turn off a certain segment due to it feeling like a gimmick, so from purely a marketing perspective it’s a bit silly...

oranginafiend
Common Wiggler

Post by oranginafiend » Mon May 04, 2020 3:15 pm

i think it sounds fantastic. right up my alley. great little addition to an analog poly like a Juno. would order one right now if it weren't for the financial setbacks due to c-19

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon May 04, 2020 4:25 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:27 pm
My point is that the MEGAfm typeface and all probably does turn off a certain segment due to it feeling like a gimmick, so from purely a marketing perspective it’s a bit silly...
To be fair, the YM2612/OPN2 chips in MegaFM were specifically made for computers, arcade games, and most famously the Mega Drive/Genesis. Video game music is very clearly its legacy, though as already mentioned FM synthesis is obviously capable of much, much more than that.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Mon May 04, 2020 6:20 pm

Didn't some of the 90s portasounds from Yamaha also use those chips?

Anyway, I like the way it's laid and the controls it has. If I decide to get another FM synth, it will probably be this one.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 pm

pmboos wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:20 pm
Nah, different chip. That was the YM3812/OPL2, which had only 2 operators and used a weird combination of fm and additive synthesis.

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Mon May 04, 2020 7:31 pm

target_destroyed wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:15 pm
pmboos wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:20 pm
Nah, different chip. That was the YM3812/OPL2, which had only 2 operators and used a weird combination of fm and additive synthesis.
Big :tu:
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Tofupancho
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tofupancho » Mon May 04, 2020 9:28 pm

I’ve been playing with mine for a few days now and I love it to death. Primary reason for hitting the preorder button immediately was the interface; Akemie’s Taiko showed me just how much I enjoy getting hands on with FM and turning more than one knob at a time. I like the grit and character of these older chips as well as newer FM and figured/hoped I could use the great front panel controls for midi control of more modern fm VSTs.

I am *extremely* happy with the character. The noise floor is higher than a lot of modern gear but not at all unmanageable. Just practice good s/n ratio as if you were recording something with a microphone. And don’t worry about this only being useful for chiptune. That word can colloquially refer to just heavy use of a few basic waveforms and technically refer to a very strict set of limitations and practices for an entire piece of music based on the capabilities of old game consoles. And the very first noises almost everyone makes on MegaFM will be outside the scope of both of those things for a number of reasons.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Tue May 05, 2020 2:57 am

Great to hear, thanks for that.

I'm not sure what all the chiptune hangup is about. Seems like someone not buying a Moog modular because they're afraid it's just going to churn out Bach preludes.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 05, 2020 4:07 am

jollyal wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:38 am
Pretty sure you aren’t going to sound like mario using the voice chip from a sega genesis...
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

DigitalNativeDunce
Common Wiggler

Post by DigitalNativeDunce » Tue May 05, 2020 4:13 am

Watching the Mylar video on Akemie's Castle again last night reminded me that exploring this hands-on FM should be rewarding, more so than anything I've heard from that new Elektron groovebox. I plan on pairing it with my Pyramid!

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 am

onthebandwagon wrote:

It's a bit silly to limit your inspiration by looks.
THUMPR BC SC

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 am

hawkfuzz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 am
onthebandwagon wrote:

No idea what “limit your inspiration by looks” means, did you coin that inspired phrase? Believe it or not a person is able to have a favorable opinion about a product while being critical of other things such as how it’s marketed.

rowsbywoof
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rowsbywoof » Tue May 05, 2020 11:00 am

I'm fairly certain Twisted Electrons will sell several of these just based on the livery...

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed May 06, 2020 9:04 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 am
hawkfuzz wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:37 am
onthebandwagon wrote:

No idea what “limit your inspiration by looks” means, did you coin that inspired phrase? Believe it or not a person is able to have a favorable opinion about a product while being critical of other things such as how it’s marketed.
Not getting something you're functionally attracted to because of the appearance.

I understand the critique and mine was, it'd be silly to not get something because of the looks if you like it.
THUMPR BC SC

Return to “General Gear”