Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jameshenry
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Twisted Electrons MEGAfm

Post by jameshenry » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Well I know the thing sounds good. The Thoman video is what sold me. I just don't know WTF I'm doing.

stepvhen
Common Wiggler

Post by stepvhen » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 pm

well I tried picking out each parameter in a sysex bank by zeroing out everything and moving one parameter at a time, saving it to a preset.

Preliminary conclusion: too much of a pain to go on like this and I might just email them to see if they have the sysex documentation handy.

Main things i found, The first block of parameters are the operator sliders, in order of 1,3,2,4, and as they are on the synth (Detune -> rr). Then each of the LFO rate and depth parameters, Alg, Feedback. Then there are a coouple bytes that stay the same between all the presets, Fat, Vol, Glide, Voice selection, and then it gets hazy, and after that I'm sure its the LFO linking, which will be too complicated for me to think about that much.

Some parameters changed values elsewhere through when going from 0 to max, and I don't know what thats about.

It would be way easier to create a VGI to MIDI CC translator and call it a day. Would lose out on the LFOs and mapping, but one could then rip a instrument from a megadrive game and throw it into the synth, which would be pretty cool.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Wait... can this thing load Dexed patches? That would be insane.

rplktr
Common Wiggler

Post by rplktr » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:35 pm

:roll:

megaFM is 2x YM2612 which is much more limited than DX7's 16 voice 6-op chipset. Both support patch loading through SysEx messages just like both accept Note On messages. It doesn't imply they're compatible.

If you looked for a synth more like megaFM, I'd say V-50 which is like a double DX11 (or double TX81Z with a keyboard). But there's still big differences between YM2612 and YM2414B. YM2612's quirky built-in DAC is a unique feature.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:52 pm

It can’t. Aside from two fewer operators and 24 fewer algorithms, they have different envelope controls.

soon_come
Wiggling with Experience

Post by soon_come » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 am

No need to roll your eyes at me, rplktr - I would've been surprised to hear that was possible at all, knowing the architecture is completely different. But someone mentioned it and I decided to ask. Thanks Yes Powder for the confirmation. :miley:

chaosium
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chaosium » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 pm

stepvhen wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:44 pm
It would be way easier to create a VGI to MIDI CC translator and call it a day. Would lose out on the LFOs and mapping, but one could then rip a instrument from a megadrive game and throw it into the synth, which would be pretty cool.
ooh, that's a lovely thought.

Return to “General Gear”