Akai MPC One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

User avatar
LameAim
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Age of Anchors

Akai MPC One

Post by LameAim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:02 pm



My first piece of hardware was a MPC 2000XL, ended up hating it. Still tend to keep tabs on what Akai has done over the years - must be the old school hiphop head in me.

Been curious about the new breed of touch-screen MPCs and a $639 retail for this guy kinda has me thinking about trying again.

Thoughts?

Divinital

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Divinital » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm

This is pretty much perfect for someone, especially at this price point, who doesn’t necessarily care about the DAWless cult but at the same time, occasionally wants to produce away from a PC...

Koekepan
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Koekepan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:17 pm

I gotta tell you, if it weren't for the touchscreen thing, this would be a top contender for my Train Production needs. Smaller and tighter than the Live, from what I can see, and it ... may have a battery? Or not? Do we know yet?

Oh.

OK, so it's really Akai's answer to the Kross. It's a capable sound source, a capable sound design device (quit laughing, the Kross's rompler engine is a lot more capable than most people realise), a capable studio master. MPC X: MPC ONE::Kronos:Kross.

I still kind of want one. I'd just have to sell other stuff to justify it, and I'm not about to do that. But it's proof that Akai, at least, sees the value in standalone music workstations. Kudos.

Lemmy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Lemmy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:37 pm

I love my MPC Touch and I like the look of this.

What I would really like though is if AKAI would add some more innovative uses of the hardware, so that there are more experimental modes in the MPC software. For example if they looked the monome community and some of the grid apps there which allow for really spontaneous chopped multitrack sample playback. Maybe this is something the AKAI Force does better with its Ableton paradigm?

Ideally they would have an API and let 3rd parties develop 'apps' for the software. Or allow it to boot to an alternative OS for experimental modes.
I think there is a big potential market for them there if they don't focus so exclusively on the four to the floor/hip-hop producers.
Especially now that they are making CV outs more standard, they should be targetting modular users and other electronica users more.

galaxie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by galaxie » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm

Slight worry when I saw the news of One in fear of making my MPC Live obsolete. After browsing the specs, I feel relieved. However I would want CV I/O on mpc Live too.

User avatar
Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 pm
Location: Greyhawk

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:59 pm

It would be cool if it had the rechargeable battery like the MPC Live. But it doesn’t, which is too bad since this seems to be designed to be more portable.

But this looks nice. I had an early version of the Live which was returned because of bugs and glitches; I may have just gotten a bad unit. I’ve been close to getting a new one again since they may have ironed out some of the problems, but the $1,000 price tag was a wee bit high for me. This lower cost version seems to do away with some of the things I don’t really need. I may pull the trigger on this at some point.

User avatar
RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by RickKleffel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Looks like an updated MPC1000. I have one of these and love it. Priced just a bit higher than many used MPC1000s. Akai makes some good stuff. I might be interested! (Most of what I've seen so far out of Namm is sort of yawny, for me at least.)

User avatar
shellfritsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by shellfritsch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm

i too wish this had a battery.. but wouldn't want it to get any bigger or heavier.

this form factor, with the new hardware buttons (very mpc1000) and the addition of cv/gate is looking mighty appealing to me.

not that familiar with the state of akai's touch OS - assuming it's pretty stable/robust these days? a quick search shows that they've added probability and polyrhythm functions - which are a big selling point for me.

roger
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 am
Location: alps

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by roger » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:39 pm

I was kind of toying with putting a blackbox 1010 in an old mpc2000xl case just because i would love to get the features but also get the size and buttons of an mpc. for the same price, I think I'm home. looks perfect.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1797
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by R.U.Nuts » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Since a few days I've been drooling over Ebay auctions on some MPC1000. Even though I don't have the cash ATM. Then I saw the announcement of the MPC one: Optional step sequencer mode, CV outs, more physical controls than the MPC Live and cheaper. I was like: "Hell Yeah! I sell a kidney, my ass or my soul and just get one of these" . Then I saw a picture of the back: Only a single stereo output and I was like: "Fuck noooo!" :sadbanana: :deadbanana:
Seriously: Do so little people these days use analog mixing desks and send effects that it's OK to develop a groovebox with which you can create tons of different audio tracks all at once and only have two physical outputs? At least for me this is probably a dealbreaker. If there weren't all the other cool features...

User avatar
LameAim
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Age of Anchors

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by LameAim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Divinital wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm
This is pretty much perfect for someone, especially at this price point, who doesn’t necessarily care about the DAWless cult but at the same time, occasionally wants to produce away from a PC...
This was my thought as well, having spent years oscillating between Ableton and larger hardware-based setups.

Currently have a Digitakt in this role, which I believe strikes a great balance between simplicity and strength - but I'm always curious about what else is out there. The mono sampling and single stereo outs never bothered me much, but I do often find myself wishing the Digitakt had more storage space. The MPC One seems very powerful... but less portable (I carry the Digitakt and related cabling in a soft Carhartt lunchbox), plus the layout looks a little awkward to me. In any case, I'll be looking for it on my next Guitar Center trip to try out in person.

Divinital

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Divinital » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm

LameAim wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 pm
Divinital wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm
This is pretty much perfect for someone, especially at this price point, who doesn’t necessarily care about the DAWless cult but at the same time, occasionally wants to produce away from a PC...
This was my thought as well, having spent years oscillating between Ableton and larger hardware-based setups.

Currently have a Digitakt in this role, which I believe strikes a great balance between simplicity and strength - but I'm always curious about what else is out there. The mono sampling and single stereo outs never bothered me much, but I do often find myself wishing the Digitakt had more storage space. The MPC One seems very powerful... but less portable (I carry the Digitakt and related cabling in a soft Carhartt lunchbox), plus the layout looks a little awkward to me. In any case, I'll be looking for it on my next Guitar Center trip to try out in person.
I had a lot of Elektron boxes but always sell them. I was efficient at programming them and I could get up and going quick. But I like Roger Linn and his legacy, I’m patiently awaiting the Linndrum 2 as well. Regarding MPCs, they simply have a nice organic feel that is unmatched even if you live record on Elektron boxes. This unit’s size is appealing, I don’t care about a battery, this offers everything I need to utilize all my synths quickly through sampling as well as sequence them if needed and lay down drum tracks :D

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Divinital wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm
LameAim wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31 pm
Divinital wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm
This is pretty much perfect for someone, especially at this price point, who doesn’t necessarily care about the DAWless cult but at the same time, occasionally wants to produce away from a PC...
This was my thought as well, having spent years oscillating between Ableton and larger hardware-based setups.

Currently have a Digitakt in this role, which I believe strikes a great balance between simplicity and strength - but I'm always curious about what else is out there. The mono sampling and single stereo outs never bothered me much, but I do often find myself wishing the Digitakt had more storage space. The MPC One seems very powerful... but less portable (I carry the Digitakt and related cabling in a soft Carhartt lunchbox), plus the layout looks a little awkward to me. In any case, I'll be looking for it on my next Guitar Center trip to try out in person.
I had a lot of Elektron boxes but always sell them. I was efficient at programming them and I could get up and going quick. But I like Roger Linn and his legacy, I’m patiently awaiting the Linndrum 2 as well. Regarding MPCs, they simply have a nice organic feel that is unmatched even if you live record on Elektron boxes. This unit’s size is appealing, I don’t care about a battery, this offers everything I need to utilize all my synths quickly through sampling as well as sequence them if needed and lay down drum tracks :D
I was going to get an sp-16 but maybe I’ll get this instead...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Divinital

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Divinital » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm
I was going to get an sp-16 but maybe I’ll get this instead...
That filter... it’s the cream for sure. But you have to really wanna stick to 4 on the floor. I personally enjoy poly rhythms and odd time signatures which I’ve read it doesn’t excel at, unless it’s been updated...

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1038
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 am
Location: jersey

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 pm

Divinital wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm
I was going to get an sp-16 but maybe I’ll get this instead...
That filter... it’s the cream for sure. But you have to really wanna stick to 4 on the floor. I personally enjoy poly rhythms and odd time signatures which I’ve read it doesn’t excel at, unless it’s been updated...
Yes while the filter is boss it’s more like icing to me when what I really need to worry about spending my money on the cake...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

User avatar
thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4754
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: East Bay, CA US

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by thetwlo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:03 am

LameAim wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:02 pm
Still tend to keep tabs on what Akai has done over the years - must be the old school hiphop head in me.
well, they aren't really "AKAI" anymore, they are inMusic, which was Numark the DJ gear company that bought Akai, Alesis, Rane and other names.
Really just a name now, not related to the AKAI Japan which went bankrupt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akai

User avatar
tobb
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 am

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by tobb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 am

galaxie wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Slight worry when I saw the news of One in fear of making my MPC Live obsolete. After browsing the specs, I feel relieved. However I would want CV I/O on mpc Live too.
Obsolete not,but value-wise it will be soon worthless ;)

Marizu
Common Wiggler
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Marizu » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:25 am

tobb wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 am
galaxie wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Slight worry when I saw the news of One in fear of making my MPC Live obsolete. After browsing the specs, I feel relieved. However I would want CV I/O on mpc Live too.
Obsolete not,but value-wise it will be soon worthless ;)
I don't think so. It depends on your workflow.
I have a Live. I'd like CV out on it, but I wouldn't trade it for the extra 4 audio outs. You can send triggers thropugh the audio outs, too.

User avatar
Jason Brock
just visiting
Posts: 4114
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Jason Brock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am

galaxie wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Slight worry when I saw the news of One in fear of making my MPC Live obsolete. After browsing the specs, I feel relieved.
Other than the battery, what are the differences that would make you still choose the Live?
Just curious, I haven't compared the two yet.

Divinital

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Divinital » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:31 am

Jason Brock wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am
galaxie wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Slight worry when I saw the news of One in fear of making my MPC Live obsolete. After browsing the specs, I feel relieved.
Other than the battery, what are the differences that would make you still choose the Live?
Just curious, I haven't compared the two yet.
This is what I’d like myself, before I preorder.

Lemmy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by Lemmy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

shellfritsch wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm
i too wish this had a battery.. but wouldn't want it to get any bigger or heavier.

this form factor, with the new hardware buttons (very mpc1000) and the addition of cv/gate is looking mighty appealing to me.

not that familiar with the state of akai's touch OS - assuming it's pretty stable/robust these days? a quick search shows that they've added probability and polyrhythm functions - which are a big selling point for me.
The OS is pretty solid. You do have to get to grips with the way things are structured and fit your workflow to that. But there is quite a lot of flexibility. For example I like working in Sequences (e.g. a section of 8 bars with multiple tracks) then chaining sequences to experiment with song structure, and this is The Akai Way. However I found it frustrating to simply chain discrete sections. Often you want to make edits at the joins between sections. Then I discovered that you can chain your sequences, save that as a Song, then export that song to a new single sequence where you can edit everything in detail.
In the meantime you still have the structure of the piece preserved in individual sequences so restructuring is just a case of making a new Song and exporting that to a new Sequence for detailed editing if required.

Some drawbacks
- still no multitimbral midi-in support
- track lengths and sequence lengths can only be whole bars, not fractions of bars. So polyrhythms are supported up to a point in that tracks in a sequence can have different looping lengths, but this has to be whole bars.

Probability is sort of supported - you can have a sample-based Program with samples on multiple layers and randomly trigger the sounding of the different layers on each hit. I think there is a similar functionality for pads (individual notes) in a track - so recorded notes for specified pads will play or not play according to a randomisation algorithm.

There's also a feature for generating random notes in a track, with quite a lot of control. Not really designed for live use though as far as I can see.

Even with the limitations mentioned, there is so much great functionality in these boxes, I'm surprised I don't see more people using and talking about them.

roger
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 am
Location: alps

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by roger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Then I saw a picture of the back: Only a single stereo output and I was like: "Fuck noooo!" :sadbanana: :deadbanana:
yeah, I dont understand it either. If its a space problem, make it stereo-jacks and let us use splitter cables, but even the 6 outs of the mpc live are not that impressive. And to speak of single midi in/out...still, it might be the best current mpc if you are looking for actual buttons and dont want to commit either the money or space the x demands.

roger
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:30 am
Location: alps

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by roger » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am
galaxie wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Slight worry when I saw the news of One in fear of making my MPC Live obsolete. After browsing the specs, I feel relieved.
Other than the battery, what are the differences that would make you still choose the Live?
Just curious, I haven't compared the two yet.
Live has: - double the midi connectiviy 2 i/o
- 6 analog outs instead of 2
- phono and stereo in
- 2 usb in
- internal ssd if you want compared to the 2gb internal storage of the one

User avatar
shellfritsch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 am
Location: Glendale, CA
Contact:

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by shellfritsch » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Lemmy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

Then I discovered that you can chain your sequences, save that as a Song, then export that song to a new single sequence where you can edit everything in detail.
ah yes, i believe this is a common approach to arrangement on the 1000.
Lemmy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am
- track lengths and sequence lengths can only be whole bars, not fractions of bars. So polyrhythms are supported up to a point in that tracks in a sequence can have different looping lengths, but this has to be whole bars.
hmmm that's kinda annoying - but perhaps workable...

Lemmy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am
Probability is sort of supported - you can have a sample-based Program with samples on multiple layers and randomly trigger the sounding of the different layers on each hit. I think there is a similar functionality for pads (individual notes) in a track - so recorded notes for specified pads will play or not play according to a randomisation algorithm.

There's also a feature for generating random notes in a track, with quite a lot of control. Not really designed for live use though as far as I can see.
this sounds pretty usable. thanks for the info.
Lemmy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am
Even with the limitations mentioned, there is so much great functionality in these boxes, I'm surprised I don't see more people using and talking about them.
for me the big drawback with the live was the lack of physical navigation buttons. i didn't feel like it was any better than an ipad with a mpd controller. the reintroduction of the 1000 style button layout + cv outs + lower price is making me look closer though...

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1797
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by R.U.Nuts » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm

roger wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 pm
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Then I saw a picture of the back: Only a single stereo output and I was like: "Fuck noooo!" :sadbanana: :deadbanana:
yeah, I dont understand it either. If its a space problem, make it stereo-jacks and let us use splitter cables, but even the 6 outs of the mpc live are not that impressive.
Maybe a firmware update is possible that allows to route audio tracks to the CV outs?
I hope there'll be such an update.
I decided that the lack of more audio outs is a dealbreaker for me. Even though I have a modular system I would have preferred more audio outs instead of the CV outs. You could always get away with a MIDI-CV interface but there's nothing you can do about the missing audio outputs.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”