Akai MPC One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 pm

how many tracks can be made? i thought it would be cool to have lots of chromatic track even for drum sound.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm

You can have 128 midi tracks and 8 audio tracks.

One way to setup a chromatic drum sound is with the keygroups, essentially it will take a single sound and transpose it across the keyboard. You use an entire track in this method and while I'm sure you could setup zones for different sounds it seems tedious. Muting, level and fx control would be difficult of the entire kit unless it was done via a bus channel which I believe is disabled in standalone.

I would probably setup a drum group with multiple drum sounds in multiple pitches utilizing the mute groups and occupy a single track as opposed to many tracks for individual sounds for a drum kit.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Tue May 05, 2020 1:15 pm

So the update announcement dropped today, yet the download won't be available till the 14th apparently. It's boasting a lot better midi control which was what I was hoping for.

Though the update will address multiple devices via a USB hub so It's a real paradigm shift for me.

I'm realizing I've been missing out on USB midi advantages? I still do standalone production with midi din connections and looking at my gear I've just always had it this way with tons of midi cables and splitters/patchbay but as of late I only have one old school synth left that doesn't have the USB midi (Alpha Juno).
Anyhow it looks pretty cool and looking forward to trying new things, I certainly have the spare time.

solipsvs
Wiggling with Experience

Post by solipsvs » Tue May 05, 2020 2:02 pm

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 05, 2020 2:40 pm

dBVelocity wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm
You can have 128 midi tracks and 8 audio tracks.

One way to setup a chromatic drum sound is with the keygroups, essentially it will take a single sound and transpose it across the keyboard. You use an entire track in this method and while I'm sure you could setup zones for different sounds it seems tedious. Muting, level and fx control would be difficult of the entire kit unless it was done via a bus channel which I believe is disabled in standalone.

I would probably setup a drum group with multiple drum sounds in multiple pitches utilizing the mute groups and occupy a single track as opposed to many tracks for individual sounds for a drum kit.
Thanks...I placed an order today. When you spread percussion sounds all over the keyboard (and play chords with claps :roll: ) you know you're into minimal territory :mrgreen:
Last edited by slumberjack on Thu May 07, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 am

Anyone in Canada get one yet? Can’t find any place that has them in stock

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat May 09, 2020 12:20 pm

A few people here have one, it seems.
Can you tell us a little about the factory content?
Especially multisample acoustic instruments... aside from piano and guitar?
Akai don’t provide much info here.

(Yeah I know it’s not really about that, but for some odd reason Akai includes those things :))
Mabel encounters a peahen.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Well the main included content is around drum kits with some synth stabs and pads etc as part of the drum kits not playable keygroups.. although the F9 expansion is offered as a free download to MPC One owners. Full of bass sounds (mostly synth and some electric) there's some electric guitar, organs, bells, fm electric pianos, a couple horn stabs and even a steel drum. So incidentally there are loads of expansion kits for purchase to add on and you may find stuff that suits all kinds of needs.. so I'd look into what expansions are available.

That said I find that I'm enjoying the ability to create my own keygroups. I get a lot of satisfaction in customizing the tool to be more aligned with what I want it to be. Probably not anywhere near the answer you were hoping for, though if you're wanting to get more variety in acoustic instruments there's nothing stopping you from doing the work to create your own.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm

@dbVelocity
Thanks very much. That helps a lot.

More or less what I expected, but was kinda hoping to be surprised.
F9 might be worth a look and there are one or two expansions I’ve seen that could be useful.
As you say, can always make home-brew.

Thanks again
Mabel encounters a peahen.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am

It's here now and I'm eager to learn the machine...now I found something that seems odd: The pads in a drum program are latching and so the whole sample plays through. I assigned now a vocal phrase chopped into slices to a drum program and this behaviour isn't appropriate. I found a way to adjust the amp eg of each pad as a work around but that is not really what I like to do. Is there a function to put all pads in the drum program to momentary gate?
> WTB ADDAC502 <

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am
Is there a function to put all pads in the drum program to momentary gate?
Go to program edit, make sure you have "ALL" pads selected, then go under the LFO Modulation tab (I don't know why it's here, but it is) and you will find a tab for "one shot" or "note on". Switch it to "note on" and now all of your drums (in that program) will be controlled by the amp envelop. You can make this a momentary gate by just setting the amp envelope as minimum attack decay and release with full sustain and then using note length to control the gate.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 am

pre55ure wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 am
slumberjack wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 am
Is there a function to put all pads in the drum program to momentary gate?
Go to program edit, make sure you have "ALL" pads selected, then go under the LFO Modulation tab (I don't know why it's here, but it is) and you will find a tab for "one shot" or "note on". Switch it to "note on" and now all of your drums (in that program) will be controlled by the amp envelop. You can make this a momentary gate by just setting the amp envelope as minimum attack decay and release with full sustain and then using note length to control the gate.
Jeeeez that is indeed the least page I'd look after to find that...thanks man for the help! :party: :tu:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Thu May 21, 2020 10:56 am

I ran into a weird issue and did a bit of looking around and found that the mpc has a rather odd limitation with the audio tracks.

Now you might think that you could get up to 20 min record time as that's essentially available in the sampler page... So when it stops recording after 5 min without any visual feedback other than watching the wave form window stop in real time I was getting rather frustrated. I'm talking a single audio track here not hogging up the ram.

Ok, I know it's not really a full on multitracker but there's just no mention of this at all in the manual ...so one is led to believe that there is a quite capable multitracking functionality. Googling this behavior confirms that others have the issue and it is apparently by design until they can sort out disk streaming.

The Workaround:. If doing over 5 min continuous audio, use the sampler up to your 20 min chunk and select KEEP and name it but don't assign it, now go to the audio tab and setup the new track, tap the "edit audio" and browse for sample from that page and move it around in your timeline or whatever. I think it's easiest to setup a locator and ensure your playhead is where you want it then browse for sample to insert.

Of coarse you can also do punch in and out style chunks that are under the 5 min as well. It took a little time to get used to all this but it is now pretty smooth for me and feels like it's quite capable again.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 am

In demonstration of the case above, I posted a track to YouTube that sort of shows this limitation.. I was capturing the performance on the MPC so I could sync to video in post.. The capture cuts my tails off and I decided to fade to the camera mic which actually kind of lends to the project with the outside bird whistles bleeding in.. So I kept it. Moving forward I'll look into capturing entire performances in another manner.. so yeah. Food for thought. Happy jamming y'all.. :guinness:

aethyr
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aethyr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 pm

anyone experiencing stuck notes using an external controller? seems like it is happening more with my CV/Gate outs

any help would be appreciated and thank you

**solved** it was my controller.

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:55 pm

I’m looking to get something, other than software (eg, TAL Sampler, which is awesome btw) that will let me spread samples over a keyboard and manipulate traditional synth parameters like ADSR, cutoff/resonance, lfo, etc. Basically something like a Mirage or an ASR-10 but more modern. Can the MPC One do this fairly easily?

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:03 pm

I think it's quite possible by using keygroups but rather than sampling all the multi ranges.. You narrow the field to one sample. From there it should behave as you might expect with regard to modulations and pitch shifting but I'll run a quick test to verify.

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks! I’m basically looking for the TAL Sampler functionality (or something close to it) in hardware. I was thinking of just getting a Mirage or an ASR-10, but I figured if the MPC One can do that, I might as well get that for all of the extra functionality that an MPC comes with.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Ok yes, it's even easier than I thought.. if you have samples ready then it's simple to import, otherwise use normal sampling mode to capture. You need to have the samples loaded from the browser into the ram for the project. Next you select the keygroups for the track type and enter program edit. The tab for "master" settings will let you define the note range on your keyboard for each group which is default to 1 with an empty program so if you want more "zones" you go to the top where it says"number of kg" and edit for the number of zones then edit each zone for key range and on the "samples" tab you can set start points, looping toggle and obviously the sample that is used. Mind you can have 4 layers of samples here as a stack for each zone and mix them or cycle etc. Zones can overlap so there is quite a bit of possibility here. The thing that seems tricky is getting the tunings adjusted for zones but if you play with the root note in the velocity tab you can dial that in and semi and fine controls are on the second page of the samples tab.

Mind Flayer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Mind Flayer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Awesome, thanks for looking at this for me. Sounds like it’s exactly what I’m looking for!

Inju
Common Wiggler

Post by Inju » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:12 am

The thing that blew me away is that it has auto sample for your hardware synths. You plug in the midi out to your hardware synth and it then auto samples for you. You then made your heavy analog synth portable.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 am

Giving this a bump to discuss a few points.

1...The auto sample is indeed quite rad and works for cv tracks too, though I'm finding there are touches that need improvement.

1.a. The loop setup for the keygroups created can be quite tricky to dial in to rid the obvious looping click or soft popping. This is still apparent when the zero crossing points are snapped and loop point is unlatched from sample start (zero snap is toggled under the settings icon in program edit along with loop lock). Yes, these settings help a lot but if your sound is a bit evolving in any way then it becomes very difficult to rid the obvious loop without zooming in very close and adjusting the loop point to be just a few wave cycles resulting in a near oscillator tone. I still need to experiment with the cross fade but it hasn't been helpful in my initial attempts.

1.b. Further, the amp release when applied will just play the loop in a fade out and it would be great to have the sample toggle with note release to a one shot behavior from the note on behavior that then plays out from it's point in the loop and beyond the sample end for the accurate sample decay that is captured with obvious regard to release stage settings.

1.c. Now if you want to auto sample and create tones that are staccato and essentially one shot.. Good luck. The shortest note duration in auto mode is 1000 ms or 1 second. This has not given me any good results where I want a very short note duration and the full release time as the release time is part of the dynamic of these staccato notes. I'm left with truncating the attack out of it or having to sacrifice the tails with a simple fade out. Again, think of the dynamic of a short burst note possibly going through an effect and then having it just sustain in auto mode before the release stage. You can't one shot this unless you cut it up and lose a lot of the feel. Or.. You sample each note manually and adjust all samples to a keygroup which is just more time consuming but that's the way to do it right.

Ok I know it's a sampler and all but some small tweaks would make this the ultimate in loading your very dynamic sounds and having the capture really come through. For the more static tones, all of this is good enough but I rarely do just a static tone that fades out.

2. The Looper is living in it's own world and sort of caters to building drum kits from breaks. It is more useful to build clips the way I see it and yet doesn't export directly. You capture a loop at 120 bpm for the exact length of bars in your sequence and save the sample. Load a clip program and select a pad, then assign the sample and see that the auto detect bpm puts it at 54 or some junk. It's easy to correct but crikey.. This gets tedious when trying to build a whole program.

3. If you have been looking for a dedicated travel case, Magma Bags finally has one available. I ordered last week and it arrived today. It has essentially the same space in the top lid half for cables/power and stuff as it does in the bottom where the MPC sits. So it has a bit of wiggle room and a small pillow or something to fill out the lid may be better if traveling to keep it from sort of flopping inside slightly. There are no feet on the case but it feels pretty slick and will do fine in light travel.

So I sent a feedback email of the two main points above to Akai and they responded with a "thanks and logged it into the requests" .. Was the gist of it... And if you're still reading this post, maybe head to my YouTube link and see the Isolation Sessions where I have a focus on the MPC plugins for all sounds in a track, or use the clips track for the OB-6 session. Cheers.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:45 pm

For those preferring to rock a fat gold rope:

Gaun Yersel!

Return to “General Gear”