Akai MPC One

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Akai MPC One

Post by hamildad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:02 am

The CV implementation of this is key and we have yet to get any details..
  • Is it 4xcv & 4xgate or 8xassignable?

Can you assign note,gate and 2x mod cvs to one track? Do that twice?

Can it do CC to continuous voltage?

Options for polyphony?

Can you address CV busses from desktop via USB?

Can they all be gates for drum programming?
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm
I decided that the lack of more audio outs is a dealbreaker for me.
same here !

my guess is they were afraid to lose sales on the bigger ones.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am

Funky40 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 am
R.U.Nuts wrote:
same here !

I rather guess that a lot of people this MPC is aimed at have a workflow that doesn't require more outputs. For example if you use it entirely standalone with nothing else it's fine. Or if you use it together with a computer and DAW it has all those advanced exporting options. But if you want to use it in a hardware based setup and record directly to a DAW through a mixing desk together with other instruments and send FXes it is pretty much useless with only a stereo out.

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:39 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am
I rather guess that a lot of people this MPC is aimed at have a workflow that doesn't require more outputs. For example if you use it entirely standalone with nothing else it's fine. Or if you use it together with a computer and DAW it has all those advanced exporting options. But if you want to use it in a hardware based setup and record directly to a DAW through a mixing desk together with other instruments and send FXes it is pretty much useless with only a stereo out.
Even with the Live, six outputs is kinda not enough heh. My setup is all outside of the box now and man I really wish I would've had the money for the X just for the extra outputs heh.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:55 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:17 am
Funky40 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 am
R.U.Nuts wrote:
same here !

This is pretty much my problem but I almost exclusively record to a DAW so the advanced exporting is ok... I like to use Sound Toys 5 and some stock plugins. I’ve never used MPC... I’d have to do all my mixing OTB and just hope it records fine. I don’t even have a mixer though, I only have an audio interface with 8 preamp inputs, so perhaps the MPC plus two stereo synths and my guitar is indeed the perfect setup for my needs. Really close to preordering, that’d make two purchases this year from NAMM D:

1040df
Common Wiggler

Post by 1040df » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm

It is close enough in price to a Digitakt. With a lot more functionality. 2in/2out didn't dissuade many from buying that device. What is odd to me is they got rid of he battery.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:27 pm

1040df wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm
It is close enough in price to a Digitakt. With a lot more functionality. 2in/2out didn't dissuade many from buying that device. What is odd to me is they got rid of he battery.
Yea and people mix a stereo out from the DT just fine... I couldn’t care less about a battery luckily, honestly one less hazard/thing to inevitably replace, I’ve never been somewhere or traveling somewhere and felt the need to make music, maybe the occasional once a year trip to Universal car ride. That’s just me though, I don’t travel :despair:

1040df
Common Wiggler

Post by 1040df » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Divinital wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:27 pm
1040df wrote:
Yea and people mix a stereo out from the DT just fine... I couldn’t care less about a battery luckily, honestly one less hazard/thing to inevitably replace, I’ve never been somewhere or traveling somewhere and felt the need to make music, maybe the occasional once a year trip to Universal car ride. That’s just me though, I don’t travel :despair:
Absolutely agree, I don't either. Just the form factor is smaller and less i/o. Seemed like it would be better suited for a battery than the Live.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 pm

1040df wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:35 pm
Divinital wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:27 pm
1040df wrote:
Absolutely agree, I don't either. Just the form factor is smaller and less i/o. Seemed like it would be better suited for a battery than the Live.
That’s true for sure. Seems odd for marketing. They said the MPC One is geared towards the bedroom producer... as a bedroom producer, I’d rather have a Live with no battery and more knobs, and a One with less knobs, a battery, and more reliance on the touch screen...

Edit : My Musician's Friend person offered me an MPC One preorder for $630, shouldn't lose too much money if I don't like it... I think I made some nice music when I had my Digitakt, I'd love to be able to process drums individually but... doing it all in the MPC is kind of the point anyway, otherwise I'd be sticking to the PC... exactly why I'm interested in this unit anyway. It's hard to beat realistic drums with Addictive Drums 2, this MPC provides a new production method for a PC user like myself, which is totally ITB.

Am i crazy for wanting this? most people are confused at its released and I'll be honest, I am too, yet I have GAS for it.. after watching the release video they say it has over 100 studio quality effects, I don't care much for the bonkers shit, that's what my synths are for, but a solid EQ and maybe saturation is all I'd need.

edit 2: song mode or arranger? has anyone found this out yet, whether it's available on the One?

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:11 am

Divinital wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:50 pm
edit 2: song mode or arranger? has anyone found this out yet, whether it's available on the One?
The MPC has always had a song mode AFAIK. Its an MPC, the OS in it is no different then the Live or X. The 'Arrangement' mode was never promised to the MPC, as of right now all anybody knows is it belongs to the Force, and Akai said its coming to the Force in Q1. MPC/Force merging is still a bit down the line.

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:06 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
roger wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 pm
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm
Then I saw a picture of the back: Only a single stereo output and I was like: "Fuck noooo!" :sadbanana: :deadbanana:
yeah, I dont understand it either. If its a space problem, make it stereo-jacks and let us use splitter cables, but even the 6 outs of the mpc live are not that impressive.
Maybe a firmware update is possible that allows to route audio tracks to the CV outs?
I hope there'll be such an update.
I decided that the lack of more audio outs is a dealbreaker for me. Even though I have a modular system I would have preferred more audio outs instead of the CV outs. You could always get away with a MIDI-CV interface but there's nothing you can do about the missing audio outputs.
That would be a pretty clever work around, but I doubt the CV outs are feed by a DAC with more than 12bit resolution. Its enough for casual CV use but not enough foraudio(cue sp1200/mpc60 users telling me otherwise).
I agree with you, if the usb host is able to talk to the usual eurorack modulaes with usb in, I dont need CV. But if there is no option to maybe plug in an audio extension via usb, then I'm stuck with 2 outs. Not enought.

Give me the MPC One with the backplate of the mpc2500, thank you very much akai. So far its just another "almost" for me.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Most people buying this won’t have the outboard for individual outs, so will just bounce it into a daw or use the app.

They are going to sell well.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:28 pm
Most people buying this won’t have the outboard for individual outs, so will just bounce it into a daw or use the app.

Definitely. For some youngster with little cash who just started making beats with a cracked DAW on a crappy laptop the MPC One plus some decent headphones is a really good alternative to spending several thousand bucks on a Macbook and an audio interface.
But if you're a guy like me who likes to mess with analog mixers and dubby delay units this is not an option.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Definitely. For some youngster with little cash who just started making beats with a cracked DAW on a crappy laptop the MPC One plus some decent headphones is a really good alternative to spending several thousand bucks on a Macbook and an audio interface.
But if you're a guy like me who likes to mess with analog mixers and dubby delay units this is not an option.
What about somebody that is used to producing on an overlocked liquid cooled desktop using Studio One 4 Pro and a set of 8 preamps in their room, and therefore doesn’t have the inputs to process individual outs of an MPC with Sound Toys 5 because they have guitars and synths plugged in to all but a set of stereo ins, yet really wants to? What should they do other than get more ins, a mixer, or process individual drums from high quality 808, 909, LinnDrum, and drum kit samples using Addictive Drums 2, if anything?

The PreSonus Digimax expanded preamp is decent but doesn’t record at 96KHz+ like my current PreSonus gear.

I wonder why I can never find a groove box I love. I’m 25 and grew up using PCs to produce... the limitations of almost every groovebox I can find are too much and don’t inspire creativity for me. I think I’ll only be satisfied with the extremely limited and nuanced grooveboxes / MPCs of yesteryear.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:56 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:36 pm
h4ndcrafted wrote:

Sure it’s clearly not , you’d be looking at the higher end models. But a lot of Mpc users want them just for the sequencer. I’d find it lack of midi outs the biggest annoyance personally.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 pm

I just pulled the trigger on the MPC One even though I've used every modern Elektron box, the Roland MC-707, Roland TR-8S... To think of an unlimited in scope sample based machine as a child's toy is foolish based on the open endedness. I consider every Behringer mono synth to be a child's toy but people eat that shit for breakfast. Sometimes, I feel like getting out of the DAW but I still love to use my computer and it will be my main focus.

Got it for $580 through Musician's Friend so it's not a big deal to me, and I didn't want an out of production MPC nor a Deluge so, this is what I'm regrettably, albeit excitedly, ending up with.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Divinital wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:31 pm
I just pulled the trigger on the MPC One even though I've used every modern Elektron box, the Roland MC-707, Roland TR-8S... To think of an unlimited in scope sample based machine as a child's toy is foolish based on the open endedness. I consider every Behringer mono synth to be a child's toy but people eat that shit for breakfast. Sometimes, I feel like getting out of the DAW but I still love to use my computer and it will be my main focus.

Got it for $580 through Musician's Friend so it's not a big deal to me, and I didn't want an out of production MPC nor a Deluge so, this is what I'm regrettably, albeit excitedly, ending up with.

Why not the sp-16 instead?
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

“No more alcohol
It's a Kool-aid substitute”

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:43 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:36 pm
Divinital wrote:

Why not the sp-16 instead?
Seems pretty ill suited for poly rhythms which I use a lot, no? At least that's what I heard, haven't researched it much after being convinced by others it's mostly suited for 4 on the floor.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 pm

I’d say the biggest drawback is the lack of extra outputs and the lack of a drive bay. Yes you can use SD card with large sizes, but still. I don’t trust those as a good long term storage solution.

As a Force owner, I’m a little peeved that this has twice the CV outputs!

Ultimately though, this will mean more users using the common firmware, which should be an incentive for Akai to keep updating.
Last edited by exper on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: CV.OCD / Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:00 pm

exper wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:55 pm
I’d say the biggest drawback is the lack of extra outputs and the lack of a drive bay. Yes you can use SD card with large sizes, but still. I don’t trust those as a good long term storage solution.

As a Force owner though, I’m a little peeved that this has twice the CV outputs!

Ultimately though, this will mean more users using the common firmware, which should be an incentive for Akai to keep updating.
Luckily I suck so I don't have to play live and can just export every track's stems :omg:

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:13 am

same sound engine as the Alesis? same company.

Akai was dead long ago, this is a NuMark DJ product.
made in china.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:01 pm

thetwlo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:13 am
same sound engine as the Alesis? same company.

Akai was dead long ago, this is a NuMark DJ product.
made in china.
are there any other grooveboxes not made in China besides Synthstrom Deluge and Elektron boxes? Elektron always handicaps some aspect of their boxes otherwise they'd be my go to.

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Divinital wrote:

what did you do to get the discount from MF?

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Diabolik! wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:59 pm
Divinital wrote:

what did you do to get the discount from MF?
I chatted in three times... the first time I just wanted to see what kind of discount they could do, which was down to $630, but I wasn't ready to order... then I chatted in a second time when I got home to order and was told they couldn't discount because it was a pre-order... so I tried again and got a different person that gave me that sweet discount...

plus MF has 8% rewards for future purchases so it's another $46 or so on top of "savings"... aka money for things I'm inevitably going to buy.

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 pm

how are CC# recording and editing handled in the MPC?

is it easy to record and tweak modulations from external synths? do you have some kind of parameter-lock thing going?

Return to “General Gear”